Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

E-M1 and 40-150 f2.8, lens releasing whilst on the move.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M1 and 40-150 f2.8, lens releasing whilst on the move.

Hello all,

Just a quick one, though I may be going Mad but at least 8 times over the last week whilst out shooting with my E-M1 and attached 40-150 f2.8 pro lens I have either looked through the view finder to see a black screen or looked down at the camera/lens comb to see that the lens has begun to be released as if I were going through he motion of swapping lenses.

The black screen actually alerted me today whilst out in the field to the fact that the lens was actually nearly completely turned near to the point of release, Phew I thought as that would have been a huge repair bill for me.

Now I know I am not catching it with hand or the strap as I hold the lens body as I don't trust the strap lugs to do there job, when the lens is locked it is secure with a sure click but the button is very easily pressed with no sure stiffness to it, if anyone has had a similar issue please tell.
    Many Thanks,

Thomas.

Re: E-M1 and 40-150 f2.8, lens releasing whilst on the move.

Have you checked the screws in the mounting plates ? I had this trouble with an old E300 and a check found a couple of screws loose.
    May not be a solution, but a good, cheap, check
    The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Hello,

All checked the screws are fine and the lens when mounted clicks nicely just every now and then of late the lens has moved into the released position, I am sure I am not pressing the lens release button and I think that if I were to lightly catch it when handling/using this equipment then it still should not release the lens unless I want to remove said lens.

Should it not be designed that you should have to positively press the lens release button in firmly to then release the lens to be removed.

I just looked at the camera body minus lens and a slight glance of the button and the release pin goes in to release the lens, it must be a design fault ?? Any one else with this problem ?
      Many Thanks,

Thomas.

Comment

Scarey, good luck with confirming the problem - hate to think of them parting company!
        Ian from the Cotswolds
        http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I'm sure you should get this checked out by Olympus ASAP - scary.

I've never had anything like this over decades of Olympus use with long lenses, including the 40-150 Pro with and without teleconverter for hours at a time in all sorts of environments.

I wonder if there's an adjustment problem with the release catch or mechanism?
          Regards,
          Mark

------------------------------
          http://www.microcontrast.com
          Too much Oly gear.
          Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
          Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Does the spring pressure on the release button feel normal or does it feel weak? Is the release pin rounded on the end at all? Is the 40-150 lens showing any signs of wear on the edge of the locking pin hole? Also, can the button get pressed by a divider in your camera bag? All these things could contribute to it occurring.

I know I kept bumping the release button on a previous DSLR model (E520) when the 70-300 lens was attached until I realised it was because of how I held it. Once I was aware of it I changed my hold & the problem went away.
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
            X