EM1 + Pany 100-300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM1 + Pany 100-300

I am not sure if I am having a (excuse my expression) "Brainfart", but when I shoot with the Pany 100-300 on the EM1 in continuous AF, I keep the shutter half pressed to maintain follow focus yet when I fully depress it, there is a delay that has casued me to miss the key moment.

For the life of me I cannot figuire out what is causing this delay (I deliberatly avoid using the tracking setting and stick with continuous) but the problem persists.

There must be some setting that needs changing that I am missing so any help from those of you shooting regular BIF / sport / Aerial shots would be very much appreciated.

I never had these problems when shooting airshows with the EM-5 - link to images - http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk...o-riat-21.html

I so much want to use this combo more especially at airshows next month but if I cannot resolve this I will be forced to take an alternative camera.

Love the EM1 and 100-300 combo so hope someone can help - let me say a big thanks up front as this site has always been a great "font of knowledge".
    Ian from the Cotswolds
    http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: EM1 + Pany 100-300

I assume you are using the Hi Sequential shooting mode with C-AF (& version 3.0 firmware)? The initial focus lock might not happen as quick as you may like it with this but once it is & you maintain the AF target on the subject, then it usually fires away fairly reliably.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks Ross,

I will need to check that but suspect I need to change to the Hi Sequential - I also need to upgrade to V.3 firmware.

Thank you for that and I will update and try.

Much appreciated.
      Ian from the Cotswolds
      http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

If you are on an early version of the firmware as I was then all your settings will be reset when you update to vsn 3.0. So make sure you record them all before you upgrade.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

I used c-af and Lo for my drag racing. I think Hi maintains exposure from the first shot whereas Lo doesn't ?

I may have that wrong of course ..
          D500 / 35 f1.8 / 50 f1.8 /16-80 / 70-300
          e-m10 mk2 + P12-32 and PL 25 f1.4

Comment

Last September I went to the Southport Air Show with E-M1 + Pana 100-300. This was prior to v3 f/w so I had little confidence in C-AF. I used S-AF with Low Sequential @ 6.5fps. This setting has the advantage that it re-adjusts AF (as well as ISO & WB I think) at every frame and the EVF is updated - which helps when panning as the planes go by. It seemed to work quite well (my 1st attempt at airshow photos).

Yesterday I had a play with C-AF for the first time - trying to capture some of the many bumble bees in our garden. Having been used to the E-M1's rapid (S)AF lock I found it quite strange to experience the initial delay before the C-AF lock occurred and, like you, I found that this makes it easy to miss the moment.
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post

I used S-AF with Low Sequential @ 6.5fps. This setting has the advantage that it re-adjusts AF (as well as ISO & WB I think) at every frame and the EVF is updated - which helps when panning as the planes go by...
              No. If you use S-AF (as in SIngle AF) it will only focus before the first shot. You need to use C-AF if you want to focus between shots in Sequential L and (since firmware version 3.0) Sequential H.

Comment

Ian, would suggest you check;
                - C-AF early release is on.
                - Flicker reduction is off
                - Face detect is off.
                - Shutter release to short.

You don't say if you are using flash or not, if you are switch to auto rather than TTL- Auto.

Gary

Comment

Hi Gazza 95, I am not trying to interfere/ hijack this thread, but could you tell me as a newbie to olympus where to get to these settings in the EM1 menu please?
                  Kind regards Mike
                  http://www.wingsofnature.org

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                    No. If you use S-AF (as in SIngle AF) it will only focus before the first shot. You need to use C-AF if you want to focus between shots in Sequential L and (since firmware version 3.0) Sequential H.
                    Tony,
                    Thanks for setting me straight on this. My misunderstanding arose from the remarks in section 4c(iii) of John Foster's (biofos) guide to setting-up the E-M1.

Regarding Ian's concern with 'missing the moment, it seems that when using C-AF, as well as anticipating the moment we also need to ensure that AF lock has been achieved in advance.
                    Chris

Comment

Mike
                      There is an old E-M1 thread called "camera Setup" where a number of settings were discussed and it lists which menus settings are in.

Gear D, Flicker Reduction OFF this stops the aperture "rattle snaking" when moving from dark to light.

Gear A,Face Priority = OFF, this has not worked on either subject and feel it is better off.

Gear C, Rls Priority C = On

Gear C, Seq+IS Off = OFF
                      Gear D, Frame Rate = High

Spanner Rec View=off , this is important if panning or using seq shooting

Gear C, Release Lag-Time mainly short but set back to normal if need better battery life

Gear A, C-AF Lock = mainly off but also normal ( this is changing with V3 firmware )

Gear D, Live View Boost = on, as I am using flash so often viewfinder is a bit dark if this is not set.

Gear E, Noise Reduction = Off, while irrelevant for shutter speeds I use I would rather have it off.
                      Gear E, Noise Filter= low, while irrelevant of Raw I tend to set it

Gear - K, Touch Screen Settings = Off, simply to avoid mistakes if screen touched while carrying.

One other thing to mention is a spreadsheet for settings available from here; http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html

sorry to sidetrack thread Ian.

Comment

Thanks Gazza, very much appreciated will give the settings a go. I do find the olympus menu confusing and probably with time like the canon I will pick this up
                        Kind regards mike
                        http://www.wingsofnature.org

Comment

Originally posted by Iansky View Post
                          ....... I keep the shutter half pressed to maintain follow focus yet when I fully depress it, there is a delay that has casued me to miss the key moment.
                          I have found that if the shutter Release Lag Time is set to Short AND the Anti-shock is set to 0-sec (for electronic 1st curtain) there is a noticeable delay in firing the shutter. I have noticed this when doing motorsports photography, and I always switch the anti-shock off.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X