Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M1 v.3 firmware - CAF improvements

I upgraded my E-M1 today using this method:

The E-M1 3.0 firmware is already available on the Olympus website, the download link is: http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/OLYM..._0000_0000.BIN
    It worked fine and first impressions are that the CAF has improved significantly. Would be good to understand what they've done, but I'm not complaining!

Edit - Wow, the continuous focus on high speed sequential is great. There's also no blackout in the viewfinder - a very satisfying experience when shooting. Almost like an optical viewfinder.
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Re: E-M1 v.3 firmware CAF improvements - they really work!!

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
    Wow, the continuous focus on high speed sequential is great. There's also no blackout in the viewfinder - a very satisfying experience when shooting. Almost like an optical viewfinder.
    Sounds good!

I'm going to have to try it out on cars from the nearby M11 bridge since there's not much motorsport going on here at the moment.
    Regards,
    Mark

------------------------------
    http://www.microcontrast.com
    Too much Oly gear.
    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Re: E-M1 v.3 firmware - CAF improvements

Paul,

That's encouraging.

Is the exposure still fixed from the first frame?

Andy
      Andy
      bengeo.com

Comment

This sounds like it could be a significant upgrade, without the need to buy a new camera!
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I ordered a E-420 from eBay, you think this may need some updating too? I know it's an older camera.

Comment

Originally posted by luckychucky View Post
            I ordered a E-420 from eBay, you think this may need some updating too? I know it's an older camera.
            There was only one update for that model.
            Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
            [ E-420 ]

-
            Improved brightness level of optical viewfinder AF target points.
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

What lens were you using in the C-AF tests Paul?
                Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

I updated the firmware on my E-M1 last night and with bright blustery conditions this morning I thought it a good chance to test the capability on my usual BIF test subjects - Rooks and Wood Pigeons at about 80-100m away against a clear sky. At this distance using the 75-300mm the subjects are quite small in the viewfinder but this is the norm for me, especially as I often use an image of a distant bird for ID purposes. This is an extreme test of the capability, much more so than fast planes or cars, especially as bird flight is often erratic and unpredictable. I tried C-AF with magnified single point, centre 9 and all points (37) and found little improvement in lock and hold over the original version. The lack of blackout between shots was an advantage but even allowing for this I didn't get any worthwhile keepers in around 90 shots. Using S-AF however, my usual method, I could get around 50% keepers. Now this all maybe down to my technique but I have been doing it for some years now and my other camera gives me around 90% keepers with no effort.

Still a way to go I think!

David
                  PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Oh dear how disappointing though what I was expecting. It will take another iteration or two of the EM-1 before it gets anywhere near the required ability in C-AF I fear. Oh well the Canon stays for me for moving subjects. I wonder if the EM-1 does any better on larger subjects in the viewfinder?
                    I will update my EM-1 tomorrow but not much chance of trying it out for a while.

Comment

I upgraded my E-M1 today using this method:

It worked fine and first impressions are that the CAF has improved significantly. Would be good to understand what they've done, but I'm not complaining!

Edit - Wow, the continuous focus on high speed sequential is great. There's also no blackout in the viewfinder - a very satisfying experience when shooting. Almost like an optical viewfinder.
                      Paul - Having done that, what version of the firmware does your camera show when you check it through the menu? Mine tells me it's still v2.0 (I never got round to updating to v2.1 or 2.2)
                      David

Comment

Originally posted by Graptolite View Post
                        Paul - Having done that, what version of the firmware does your camera show when you check it through the menu? Mine tells me it's still v2.0 (I never got round to updating to v2.1 or 2.2)
                        It shows 3.0. I upgraded from 2.something.
                        Paul
                        E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                        flickr
                        Portfolio Site
                        Instagram

Comment

hello, new member here. I found your forum yesterday when researching the Version 3 firmware upgrade.

last week I purchased the OM-D EM-1 and the Zuiko f2.8 40-150. my EM-1 had the 1.1 firmware installed. this morning I did upgrade the firmware to 3.0 with the SD card method. when I go to the menu it shows.....Body : 3.0

then at lunch time I went to a local lake and took 200 shots. it seemed to hold BIF lock in C-AF and capture pretty good compared to 'not' yesterday. they looked promising when previewed on my iphone but until tonight when I load them in Lightroom I won't know for sure how it worked. but i'm hopeful.

Mike

Comment

I rather optimistically plugged my camera into the computer today and started up OV3 just in case the update was there earlier than anticipated. My heart skipped a beat as the message 'new software is available' appeared. I soon calmed down when I realised that it was the updater which was being updated. Never mind, it will soon be tomorrow.

Ron

Comment

It shows 3.0. I upgraded from 2.something.
                              Guess that's a fail then. I'll have to try again tomorrow the old fashioned way.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X