Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 40-150 f/2.8 Pro with C-AF

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
    Isn't the predicted continuing rise in in-body processing power and speed going to offer improved CDAF and PDAF? If it's not powerful enough now, with the doubling period of computer processing power how much better should it be in 18 months? And another 18?
    CDAF might work better for faster moving subjects if you could get the contrast analysis of frames up above 1000 fps because each frame would be sifficiently similar to the last to make a valid contrast comparison. That might allow the iteration towards a proper focus work. It's still a silly way to do it though.

Comment

Originally posted by kbouk View Post
      Dual focus system is the right way for CAF...
      Couldn't agree more but bear in mind that what we have at the moment (in the E-M1) is not dual focus. It is 2 distinct and completely independent focussing systems and the one chosen is based on the lens attached.

A number of technologies from the PD and CD worlds need to be combined together along with cross type on-sensor PD to give a step improvement in focussing.
      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
      Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
        Couldn't agree more but bear in mind that what we have at the moment (in the E-M1) is not dual focus. It is 2 distinct and completely independent focussing systems and the one chosen is based on the lens attached.

A number of technologies from the PD and CD worlds need to be combined together along with cross type on-sensor PD to give a step improvement in focussing.
        Olympus did say that the E-M1 with m43 lenses and C-AF would use a combination of CDAF and PDAF but never specified how. My view is that the PDAF sensors are not used for very much if anything.

Comment

I may be totally wrong here, but aren't the PDAF sensors of the E-M1 only used when a Four Thirds lens is attached? My understanding is that Micro Four Thirds lenses are designed for CDAF and therefore the E-M1 will only use its CDAF sensors to focus with these lenses. Or has the new 40-150mm design been optomized for both?

As I say, I may be wrong......I often am!
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

From what I understand the PD sensor function is used on all lenses when C-AF and L burst rate (6.5 fps or less) is used.

David
            PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
              From what I understand the PD sensor function is used on all lenses when C-AF and L burst rate (6.5 fps or less) is used.
              I must have missed this bit in the announcements when the camera came out and thus would certainly expect better performance than people are experiencing.

Thank you David.
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
                Spot on - from the E-M1 brochure: "Thanks to Dual FAST AF, this camera delivers swift, accurate autofocusing by using the on-chip phase detection AF with Four Thirds System lenses and both contrast detection AF and on-chip phase detection AF with Micro Four Thirds System lenses. Dual FAST AF makes possible a sequential shooting speed under C-AF of about 6.5 fps*, which is enough to allow you to easily track the motion of a fast-moving subject such as an athlete playing a game or an animal on the run. The completely new Dual FAST AF allows any Zuiko lens to capture any scene instantly."

Andy
                Andy
                bengeo.com

Comment

Here are a couple of BIF shots from this morning, this time without the MC-14. 9-area with C-AF. Slower moving targets that were quite close. Tracked quite well. The camera originally locked focus on the seagull even though there was a cluttered background. Both are fairly hefty crops.

Comment

Those look pretty good Tony. I've had chance to play a bit more and have posted a sequence of 5 shots here: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...d=5#post323122

Andy
                    Andy
                    bengeo.com

Comment

Still frustrating but can be improved with practice

I thought I would update this old thread with a few shots from the Somerset levels yesterday. I am getting a bit better with the lens. Results improve if as your tracking ability gets better and if you don't try and focus on anything small, too far away. All with the 40-150 Pro + MC-14.

This cormorant was gliding in. A smoothly moving target to follow.

This egret was fly towards me.

And this doesn't happen very often (for me). It focused on the subject even though it was moving in front of a tricky background!

Of course, if the subject is static - piece of cake!

Best to all...

Comment

I hope you are well chuffed with that duck shot. Looks very tricky to get right.

Comment

Nice shots and encouraging Tony.

Comment

Re: Still frustrating but can be improved with practice

Fabulous pic...

Comment

Originally posted by jamsa View Post
                              Fabulous pic...
                              Thanks. But which one?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                                Thanks. But which one?
                                The Robin but all the others too lol...
                                Wish I could afford the 40-150 too

Comment

Working...
                                X