Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M1 firmware 1.4 is released

Re: E-M1 firmware 1.4 is released

I've just downloaded it (wish I'd spotted your input first, that 6 mins upload worried me until the OK appeared on the LCD ).

First shots with the 50-200 mk1 on suggest that there is a real improvement in focus speed using CAF with 9 point box (it was still a bit hesitant with the smallest single point) Its a bit misty in the garden at the moment but even so focus and refocus was rapid and accurate as I picked out subjects from around 5ft away to 35ft (and that was through the double glazing)

I haven't spotted any change in IS performance in this short test

I hope to able to give it a real test later this morning when we plan to go to Cranborne Manor

Comment

Thanks am going out with camera later will update before I go and check it out.
      Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Updated and a quick turn around the garden with the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 shows a marked improvement in (single shot) autofocus speed and accuracy. Still hunts sometimes using the small single focus target, but it's a lot better. I'll have to get the 50-200mm SWD out later and give that a whirl.
        Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by bilbo View Post
          Updated and a quick turn around the garden with the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 shows a marked improvement in (single shot) autofocus speed and accuracy. Still hunts sometimes using the small single focus target, but it's a lot better. I'll have to get the 50-200mm SWD out later and give that a whirl.
          That sounds very promising as that lens in particular was not good before. In fact I usually rely on MF on that partly of course because it is macro work but also because it hunts like crazy.

Hec
          I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up pault. The Olympus UK site still (10.40 am) only mentions 1.3 so well spotted.
            I wonder if CAF with micro four thirds lenses has been improved as well as for four thirds lenses? Hope so.
            Anyway I have upgraded mine so will have a play as soon as I have the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
              That sounds very promising as that lens in particular was not good before. In fact I usually rely on MF on that partly of course because it is macro work but also because it hunts like crazy.

Hec
              Hi - Just want to point out that my quick test wasn't using it in macro mode. Just as a walk-around 150mm prime...
              Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

I will try and update when I get home home work and give it a quick try-out before camera club tonight. We have another E-M1 owner (a pro) in the club but I guess that he will be less interested as he uses only m43rds lenses.
                Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Just done it, no issues took about 4 mins. Until I get some real time shots hard to tell if it's made any difference to 4/3 lenses. Mind you I didn't really have any issues before.
                  All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

I did it this morning, fairly quick and painless. Unfortunately it was just too late for the final rugby match of the season (last Sunday) so it is likely to be a while before I use the Big43 lenses in anger and put it to the test.

John

Comment

Originally posted by bilbo View Post
                      Hi - Just want to point out that my quick test wasn't using it in macro mode. Just as a walk-around 150mm prime...
                      I actually felt the telephoto range of the Sigma 150 macro lens was pretty good before & also with the EC14, but using that combination for macro a couple of days ago I gave up trying as it just couldn't lock on. Maybe it was because I was shaking about too much. I (am going to bed now &) will update in the morning & then I will see how well it does macro with & without the EC14 & I'll also try the EX25 too. I hope the 14-54 II lens can do better in low light as well, but we shall see. At the moment I prefer to put that lens on the E-M5 for low light situations as it works quite nicely (on static targets) without the jittering about the E-M1 does (in low light & of a black dog ).
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I've got back from my test shoot with v1.4 installed and created a new thread with some images on foto fair.

The quick summary is that it focused so fast and consistently under the relatively easy conditions of this morning that I forgot I was using the 50-200mk1 (apart from the occasional grumble from my wrist that I was hand-holding a "lump" )

No chance at BIFs yet but so far, it looks promising

update: I had a quick try shooting House Martins and Gulls against a bright grey sky, just to get a feel for if anything has improved under these conditions.

With House Martins CAF, 9 point is still impossible (for me). activating all points and pre-focusing to roughly the distance I was picking them up in the EVF (less than 5% of frame) gave me some success but hit rate was below 20%

with gulls, so long as the bird occupied around 10%+ of frame I was getting reasonably quick lock with CAF 9 point and better with all points activated.

So far, I'm not convinced it has made a real difference to BIF work, but it may be better with good light and contrast

Comment

Notice that you are advised to update oi.share can anyone tell me were? I have looked and the latest I can find is March is that the latest?
                          Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                            Notice that you are advised to update oi.share can anyone tell me were? I have looked and the latest I can find is March is that the latest?
                            There is no new update available, for Android at least, at the moment. That is as of 30 minutes ago when I checked.

Hec
                            I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

My Test

Mine updated really quickly, about 3 minutes. This could be a north/south hemisphere time thing. I made sure I had a nice full green battery icon first!
                              A quick pre-breakfast S-AF trial around the garden in good light gave nice results using the 150f2, the slower performer of my long lenses so far. Focus was reasonably quick, even picking out dark subjects in dark corners, back, forward, dark, light, so very acceptable.
                              Very good early morning light. Down to the park with the dogs with the 50-200mk1. C-AF both 1 point and 9 points, not much difference between results from the settings, but no real background or side distractions. Typically, 2 or 3 shots to attain focus, then 2 or 3 good shots in focus, then seeming to fall behind for a couple, back again for 1 or 2 good ones and so it went on. 8 good in-focus shots in a sequence of 22, 5 not quite acceptable. So, for C-AF no really quantifiable improvement for animals running straight, to or from the camera, but you will get some good images. On the way home I stopped and photographed approaching cars at around 50kph. Several bursts resulting in all shots perfectly focused! Maybe any improvement is subject dependent.
                              Cheers,
                              Don

Comment

Working...
                              X