X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E-M1 firmware 1.4 is released

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
    Ross,
    I'm sure you are aware that the PD sensors in the E-M1 are only horizontally aligned. I have found when photographing the type of distant landscape as per your example using 4/3 lenses on the E-M1 (e.g. 12-60SWD & Pan Leica 14-150) the AF doesn't lock.

As others on this forum have noted, in this situation if you rotate the camera towards portrait orientation you will almost certainly achieve AF on shutter half-press. Then, keeping the shutter half-pressed, return the camera back to landscape orientation and take the picture.
    EDITED after I actually read your comment properly.

Yes, thanks. I was aware of that & obviously through the haze the trees in the distance (appearing so tiny) are not picked up, but now that I get what you are suggesting at achieving AF lock, I feel a little silly at not trying it myself at the time. In my set up, I could revert to MF and use the AFL button so the shutter button doesn't get pressed all the way accidently while changing the position.

For my above scenery shots, I probably should have used the 9 focus points giving the camera a better chance to find some useful detail to focus on perhaps.

Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 24th May 2014, 11:17 PM. Reason: Actually read the comment fully!
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by bilbo View Post
      I was preparing to sell my 50-200mm SWD. I'll be holding on to it now I've tried it with the new firmware.
      If I could stumble onto one of those lenses where I could persuade my wife to let me spend a bit (call that a lot) more money again, then it would get used a fair bit (except where I wanted to go light). That & the EC14 would also get a good work out, but the lens by itself would be ideal for concerts etc. with its quality & brightness & together with this update, it should be good, so if I were you, I wouldn't be selling yet.

Ross
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

After my gripes (which also has a lot to do with the operator, myself), I'd like to add my thanks to Olympus for what they have done & achieved in the firmware updates & the following shows how well it has improved using the 4/3's 14-54 II lens which was with touch screen shooting with mostly instant exposures, so I was impressed with these results (for these applications), whereas trying to get sharp results from the E-M5 was not as easy because of a slower response & movement of myself or the plant etc..

Ross

Comment

Ross don't beat yourself up about not rotating and prefocussing. On virtually a professional camera we shouldn't have to resort to doing that. It's the one issue I have with my EM-1 and it means in those particular situations with 4/3 lenses my old E510 now worth about only £50 trounces it! Don't get me wrong I love the EM-1 as in every other way it is brilliant and way better than the E510. If Oly could come up with a fix to add horizontal sites, or even better cross sites, to an EM-1 then I'd have it done like a shot as I find it that frustrating. I suspect the fix I'm after is the EM-2 though . Or a micro 4/3s lens as versatile and as good as the Leica 14-150, as per another thread on here. That would do it for me as well, in fact that would be even better as the weight would drop too .
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Since posting I've been playing with my 50-200 mk1 and as others have said here it definitely seems better on the EM-1 after the 1.4 upgrade. It's much more assured and seems to move quicker to gain focus. The Leica also seems to have benefitted too but I don't think by quite as much, although the quietness of operation over the non SWD Oly lens is quite marked. Overall a vast improvement Olympus well done but I really still need those horizontal af sites for it to be perfect.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
              If I could stumble onto one of those lenses where I could persuade my wife to let me spend a bit (call that a lot) more money again, then it would get used a fair bit (except where I wanted to go light). That & the EC14 would also get a good work out, but the lens by itself would be ideal for concerts etc. with its quality & brightness & together with this update, it should be good, so if I were you, I wouldn't be selling yet.

In my experience, pre the 1.4 firmware upgrade the 50-200mm SWD was hunting like crazy on the E-M1. Now it isn't. I've sold my E-3 so to me it was not going to be worth keeping the lens. With the 1.4 firmware the performance on the E-M1 has improved so much that I'll be keeping the lens until a better option arrives.
              Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

Oh dear, justification for hanging on to my E-5 has somewhat diminished since the v1.4 upgrade. It's a particularly grey day here in Staffordshire so I've only been doing a bit of unscientific point and shoot of the garden through the conservatory window.
                I quickly tried each 4/3 lens; 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD and 70-300 on its own and then with the EC-14 tele-converter.
                In each case focus lock was markedly faster. Even the 70-300 with the EC-14 at full zoom is vastly improved. The horrible hunting to get a lock on plain subjects with little contrast or texture has all but been eliminated. Olympus have worked their magic here.
                The new version of Olympus Image Share is a vast improvement over the first release too. Everything that was lacking seems to have been included now. Thanks for listening Olympus

Steve
                See some of my pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tagbartok/

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!

Comment

I updated my camera just before I went on holiday to Corsica and as I spent most of my time there sailing and not taking photographs, I haven't really had time to form an opinion as to what differences in performance there are. Having now returned and had a few days to test the only two 4/3rds lenses I have it is very obvious that there is a massive difference in AF performance mainly at wider focal lengths. My Leica 14-150mm is now almost faultless at all focal lengths, whereas before the wider the angle the more difficult the AF, and my ED 7-14mm is now a pleasure to use, whereas before it was a bit hit and miss. Focusing on low contrast areas such as beige carpet is pretty fast at least 90% of the time and low light AF is dramatically improved. Well done Olympus, but it took a bit too long really!

David
                  PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Anybody got an opinion on whether the firmware upgrade has improved the continuous autofocus with m4/3 lenses?
                    Just wondered as they must have played with the algorithms pertaining to the phase detection sensors which are also used with C-AF and m4/3 lenses.

Comment

I have read with interest all the comments regarding v1.4. So I updated my E-M1, and had a chance to try it out on a rally with both 50-200 SWD and 90-250. The results have yet to convince me to leave my E-5 at home. Inconsistent AF yes it seems slightly faster to focus, but it still hunts far too much especially with 90-250. It hates white cars often failing to focus, seems too much contrast for the AF. So frustrating focuses on one car but may not even focus on the next. 50-200 works the better of the 2 but not consistently. Much of the rally photography done on this occasion was corner exit semi head on, using C-AF, L Continuos shooting. I tried single point AF, small single point & the centre group. The one thing E-M1 has over the E-5 is the better ISO performance. Will I be selling my E-5 anytime soon? No
                      Derek

www.dncphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by DerekC View Post
                        I have read with interest all the comments regarding v1.4. So I updated my E-M1, and had a chance to try it out on a rally with both 50-200 SWD and 90-250. The results have yet to convince me to leave my E-5 at home. Inconsistent AF yes it seems slightly faster to focus, but it still hunts far too much especially with 90-250. It hates white cars often failing to focus, seems too much contrast for the AF. So frustrating focuses on one car but may not even focus on the next. 50-200 works the better of the 2 but consistently. Much of the rally photography done on this occasion was corner exit semi head on, using C-AF, L Continuos shooting. I tried single point AF, small single point & the centre group. The one thing E-M1 has over the E-5 is the better ISO performance. Will I be selling my E-5 anytime soon? No
                        Yesterday I tried my new EM-1 out using my SWD 50-200mm and I have to say I had just the opposite results, I was rather impressed and found it as good if not better than my beloved E5. Have to say I tend to shoot action on Low speed burst when panning and rarely high burst, so maybe the EM-1 had the time to focus? And I was shooting a slow moving aircraft but before I went I practised on our Border Collie recovering a ball and got some very good shots.

A trip to an Airshow at Old Warden is in the pipeline, that will be the real test! But I often found the E5 trouble in difficult contrasting light, which I think people forget about when comparing its abilities to the EM-1. The EM-1 is a very different beast and I think practise improves your results?? Have to say as well yesterday I was also shooting in very difficult light, bright sunshine to dull cloud!
                        Last edited by davy59; 8th June 2014, 08:39 AM. Reason: Adding more content

Comment

Working...
                        X