Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

E-M1 firmware 1.4 is released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E-M1 firmware 1.4 is released

Updated my new EM-1 this morning! A nail biting wait of 6-7 minutes! Planning to use SWD 50 - 200 tomorrow at Old Warden if the weather is good so will see if AF and C-AF improves but only had the camera a week so never really tried out old firmware on my 3/4 kit.

To everyone - it is a long upgrade so don't panic!

Comment

I will upgrade one E-M1 body and compare with one that has not been updated

Ian
      Founder and editor of:
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
        Did mine last night and the upgrade was painless as hoped and anticipated.

Haven't had the chance to do a detailed test but I can report that my 12 - 60 SWD is a little quicker and hunting less. The real test was on our labradoodle who is dark chocolate and always causes problem to try and focus on in anything other than good light. That is certainly better although still not uber snappy but then you would not really expect that.

So a qualified positive report which I expect to confirm as a full positive.

cheers

Hec
        A bit more testuing with 50-200 SWD confirms what others say the AF is now much, much better with 4/3 lenses.

thanks Olympus

Hec
        I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

Ian
          That will be an iteresting comparison. I awat with interest

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
            A bit more testuing with 50-200 SWD confirms what others say the AF is now much, much better with 4/3 lenses.

thanks Olympus

Hec
            I was preparing to sell my 50-200mm SWD. I'll be holding on to it now I've tried it with the new firmware.
            Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

I updated mine without any problems and tried the camera with the 50-200 SWD and EC-14. The focusing is snappy and accurate but, unfortunately, it still seems to weigh just as much as it did before.

Ron

Comment

I've only recently got back from a day at the Devon County Show, thick mud, most of the arena events cancelled but I had a great time giving the 50-200mk1 on the EM-1 a real work out and it performed superbly.

Focus was fast, accurate (even though it was grey and overcast a lot of the time) and I never once had the feeling I may miss a shot because it couldn't keep up with the action (some of the horse jumping I did manage to shoot I would rate as the best I have ever achieved)

CAF worked and seemed to manage the action well but I still think I was getting better results from SAF with high speed sequential shooting (quite probably because that is my natural way of shooting).

I don't know what Olympus did to the focusing but it sure has made a difference

I'll post a couple of pics (or so) tomorrow and you can judge the quality for yourselves

One happy bunny

Comment

Ian
                  I am disappointed with the 14-54 II lens though. In a dark room taking photos of a black dog it is reasonable for it to struggle with PD-AF (it used to on the E30 too), but it does much better on the E-M5 with CD-AF, however, this morning I went up to Govetts Leap in Blackheath & tried to take a wide(ish) angle view across the valley & it struggled hopelessly because of the slightly hazy dark hills in the distance. I put the 12-50 lens on instead & it was instant! Unless they can give us an option to use CD-AF on the E-M1 with 'Imager AF' (Live View) optimised lenses, then I will only use the 14-54 II lens generally on the E-M5 instead.

Here is the view looking from Govetts Leap Lookout (Blackheath, Blue Mountains, NSW) across the western end of the Grose Valley that I refer to. Both are OOC from the E-M1 & 14-54 II lens, centre focus point (standard size).

E-M1 & 12-50 lens, centre focus point (standard size).
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

If I had to pick the 12-50 one looks better to me. In this case you haven't given it much to focus on so it was a pretty difficult task unless you focussed on the edges of the hills and recomposed?
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                      If I had to pick the 12-50 one looks better to me. In this case you haven't given it much to focus on so it was a pretty difficult task unless you focussed on the edges of the hills and recomposed?
                      No, there isn't a lot of detail there but the CD-AF with the 12-50 lens has no problem with it & that's why I will use the appropriate lens & body that works for each situation. The 14-54 II lens will be fine for indoor concerts etc with sufficient lighting (if I'm close enough) on the E-M5 & that will probably be safer & the 75-300 lens can be on the E-M1 (with Anti-Shock set to '0'). It's best to know where the limitations are so the better options are known before they're needed & not afterwards.
                      Ross
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Just done very quickly at around 4 minutes. Going to try my 4/3 lenses later.

Steve
                        See some of my pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tagbartok/

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                          I am disappointed with the 14-54 II lens though. In a dark room taking photos of a black dog it is reasonable for it to struggle with PD-AF (it used to on the E30 too), but it does much better on the E-M5 with CD-AF, however, this morning I went up to Govetts Leap in Blackheath & tried to take a wide(ish) angle view across the valley & it struggled hopelessly because of the slightly hazy dark hills in the distance. I put the 12-50 lens on instead & it was instant! Unless they can give us an option to use CD-AF on the E-M1 with 'Imager AF' (Live View) optimised lenses, then I will only use the 14-54 II lens generally on the E-M5 instead.

Here is the view looking from Govetts Leap Lookout (Blackheath, Blue Mountains, NSW) across the western end of the Grose Valley that I refer to. Both are OOC from the E-M1 & 14-54 II lens, centre focus point (standard size).

E-M1 & 12-50 lens, centre focus point (standard size).
                          Alas, I can see that the focus is different in these shots...

Ian
                          Founder and editor of:
                          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                          sigpic

Comment

Ross,
                            I'm sure you are aware that the PD sensors in the E-M1 are only horizontally aligned. I have found when photographing the type of distant landscape as per your example using 4/3 lenses on the E-M1 (e.g. 12-60SWD & Pan Leica 14-150) the AF doesn't lock.

As others on this forum have noted, in this situation if you rotate the camera towards portrait orientation you will almost certainly achieve AF on shutter half-press. Then, keeping the shutter half-pressed, return the camera back to landscape orientation and take the picture.
                            Chris

Comment

Updated and tested at todays rowing. Certainly seems a lot more responsive and able to revert to my preferred method of Early Release C-AF off. My 90-250 is now working closer to way it worked on E-3. So am very happy.

One quirk occurred when battery ran out. Face detection got switched on and performance slowed. Have no idea why but after switching off and reseating lens all seemed fine. Have no idea what happened.

Thank you Olympus, a worthwhile upgrade.

Comment

Alas, I can see that the focus is different in these shots...

Ian
                                Thanks for noticing & your comment Ian. I must confess I didn't notice the foreground wasn't as in focus as the 12-50, but then again I was also using a little larger aperture too (f2.8 compared to f3.5), but it is embarrassing with the lens whirring back & forth if others are in earshot as I could imagine their chuckle at this 'you beaut camera' struggling to just get focus on the distance hills (because that would probably be what I would do if I saw someone in that situation. ).

Please don't get me wrong as this latest update has certainly improved the 4/3's lens AF & I am grateful for what they have done & achieved as this lens does snap into place with more contrasty subjects (especially close, without the haze) & it has made a nice difference to the Sigma 150 macro lens, although AF in macro distances handheld has not been one of this lens' strong points (as I wobble about trying to hold it steady) as this first photo was difficult to get with AF, but the others at telephoto distances was really good.

Focussing on her eye.

And with the EC14, cropped.

Cropped from this photo.

More examples are with these photos in my Four Thirds User Gallery, including comparison shots using the 75-300 lens.

What would be useful for the E-M1 is to be able to override the PD-AF with CD-AF instead as it would hopefully obtain focus reasonably quickly & accurately in cases where PD-AF might struggle. One way around this (apart from MF or trying to obtain AF in portrait position) is to use the E-M5 instead for such occasions.

Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 24th May 2014, 11:24 PM. Reason: Edited after reading Chris's (Gwyver) comment properly.
                                Ross

Comment

Working...
                                X