Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

E-M1 firmware 1.4 is released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Test

Originally posted by DonB View Post
    Mine updated really quickly, about 3 minutes. This could be a north/south hemisphere time thing. I made sure I had a nice full green battery icon first!
    A quick pre-breakfast S-AF trial around the garden in good light gave nice results using the 150f2, the slower performer of my long lenses so far. Focus was reasonably quick, even picking out dark subjects in dark corners, back, forward, dark, light, so very acceptable.
    Very good early morning light. Down to the park with the dogs with the 50-200mk1. C-AF both 1 point and 9 points, not much difference between results from the settings, but no real background or side distractions. Typically, 2 or 3 shots to attain focus, then 2 or 3 good shots in focus, then seeming to fall behind for a couple, back again for 1 or 2 good ones and so it went on. 8 good in-focus shots in a sequence of 22, 5 not quite acceptable. So, for C-AF no really quantifiable improvement for animals running straight, to or from the camera, but you will get some good images. On the way home I stopped and photographed approaching cars at around 50kph. Several bursts resulting in all shots perfectly focused! Maybe any improvement is subject dependent.
    Cheers,
    Don
    I obviously have slow internet as it took at least 10 mins for me this morning, but I tried the Sigma 150 macro lens with & without the EC14 & I feel it is probably a little better for telephoto use & maybe applying some CD-AF because it was focusing on the background through a cluster of leaves (using the standard focus point) which is typical of CD-AF. It's a bit hard to tell if it was any better with macro though as that lens is not exactly 'snappy' focussing on close objects hand held (as I wobble about) & was particularly difficult using the EC14 for macro (with a resulting maximum aperture of f/4). The EX25 was fine with it though as much as it is with this particular lens ever was with AF for macro. From that I would assume SWD lenses would be benefitting from this update.

I'm not sure I see much difference for the 14-54 II lens (in low light of black dogs ), although it does appear to be smoother at finding focus in good light, including with the EC14. I would like to see an option to use just CD-AF for the 'Live View' (Imager AF) capable lenses if desired as that can be more reliable in low light & is why I would probably use this lens on the E-M5 for such situations instead. Anyhow, I'm glad & thankful for this update.

I can also confirm that using the WiFi with the 12-50 lens that it can now control the zoom for that lens (in power zoom position).

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Re: E-M1 firmware 1.4 is released

Updated fine but I don't know how long it took as I went off to make a cup of tea! AF performance with my Leica 14-150mm on OMD was never that bad although slower than with E5, however it now seem s to be almost up to E5 speed after just a few test shots around the house and garden. Off to Corsica for a week's sailing on Saturday so I will report on any improvements when I get back.

David
      PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Not done mine yet but these posts sound promising. David I'm sure you'll enjoy Corsica, it's a lovely island. Went there on honeymoon so it was a long time ago.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Did mine last night and the upgrade was painless as hoped and anticipated.

Haven't had the chance to do a detailed test but I can report that my 12 - 60 SWD is a little quicker and hunting less. The real test was on our labradoodle who is dark chocolate and always causes problem to try and focus on in anything other than good light. That is certainly better although still not uber snappy but then you would not really expect that.

So a qualified positive report which I expect to confirm as a full positive.

cheers

Hec
          I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

I updated both of my E-M1 bodies successfully. CAF seems a bit snappier but as I don't have any non m4/3 lenses, I am unable to test that function of the update. I am trying to stay with m4/3 lenses but I must admit to hankering after the Leica 14-150!

Comment

just updated, there is a massive difference for 14-54mk1 focus speed (in dark and light conditions) and focus accuracy

havnt tried the continuous focusing yet

very happy for 1.4 update

Comment

My update was totally hassle-free as well, and while I have not had a chance to try it out yet a 10 second play with my 50-200 non SWD tells me things have improved massively - I was thinking of selling it as it is just too slow to focus for me much of the time but now it appears that it isn't such an issue - might still trade it in for a Panasonic 35-100 if I can find one though..!

Comment

My try out with the 50-200 was very positive. Even using the 50mm macro, focusing was pretty decent. Appears to be a very worthwhile firmware upgrade.
                  Its just a pity that firmware can't make my HG and SHG lenses micro 43rds size! That would be heaven. Still, with my pension lump sum arriving at the end of June, I am thinking that some of these may get replaced by micro 43rds lenses.
                  Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

well that was a long few minutes.
                    My images on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbody View Post
                      well that was a long few minutes.
                      Like this? Stress followed by Relief!
                      Ross
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Took 9 minutes for mine to update. It certainly felt like a long time!
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Not updated yet but will do as I still use the 50mm macro and 50-200mm SWD and from the comments made the improvements look promising.
                          "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

Updated and fine _ only use m43 lenses though

Comment

Originally posted by Grimbleweed View Post
                              Updated and fine _ only use m43 lenses though
                              Well, at least you can control the 12-50 zoom from the WiFi now.

Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post

A spot on asessment
                                !
                                My images on flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X