Processing in Photoshop CS5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processing in Photoshop CS5

As a new comer to Olympus I have been using the Adobe DNG converter and then CS5 to process my RAW files. I have installed OV3 but not used it yet.
    I'm used to Nikon RAWs converted in NX2 to TIFF then played with in CS5. I am pleased how much latitude there is in the Oly RAWs. Is the DNG converter the best way to go or should I start into OV3 as I'm sure Olympus know how to extract the most from their own files?

I have just posted some DNG converted samples here if you want to take a look.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...482#post287482

How do you process your E-M1 files?
    Stuff from Cuba
    More stuff from Cuba
    It all started here

Re: Processing in Photoshop CS5

I use CS4 and the DNG converter with my E-M5. Both that and OV3 do a decent enough job but OV3 is dreadfully slow by comparison, on my computer at least.
    Regards
    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post

How do you process your E-M1 files?
      Have you considered using Lightroom 5?
      It supports E-M1 ORFs and includes the latest version of Adobe RAW file convertor. LR5 might fulfil 99% of your PP requirements and is considerably cheaper & easier to use than CS.

A fully functional 30 day trial download is available at:
      https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...&promoid=DTEML
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
        Have you considered using Lightroom 5?
        It supports E-M1 ORFs and includes the latest version of Adobe RAW file convertor. LR5 might fulfil 99% of your PP requirements and is considerably cheaper & easier to use than CS.

A fully functional 30 day trial download is available at:
        https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...&promoid=DTEML

Thanks for that thought, but as I have CS5 and it does 100% of what I need then spending again on lightroom makes no sense unless it can extract much more from the Raw files.
        Stuff from Cuba
        More stuff from Cuba
        It all started here

Comment

I too am a strong advocate for LR. However, as you're already used to working with PS, your best option would be to convert to DNGs. The raw converter in that is the same as LR, except that I personally think LR is easier to use, having more intuitive controls.
          Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Thanks for that thought, but as I have CS5 and it does 100% of what I need then spending again on lightroom makes no sense unless it can extract much more from the Raw files.
            so much depends on what you are trying to extract/render and how much processing you are doing where (and that's before the issue of batch and workflow!)

OV3 is clunky but will produce excellent batch jpeg files if you have a lot of memory and a penchant for making coffee slowly

Lightroom is a step up on useability for slightly more demanding work

ACR, which required CS6 for the E-M1, is a delight to work in at all levels but you have to pay attention to many variables to get things right and the creation of preferred profiles is the only real way to avoid lightyears of computer time per file!

I've got all 3 on this machine, and am still trying to decide which to use to deal with a 20 frame x 5 exposure pano taken last week in Madeira. I was going to compare this processed approach with a more simple one based on the same frames and in camera HDR jpegs but some muppet accidentally switched on the x2 DTC and was so busy with what they were doing they didn't notice until too late!
            E, Pen and OM-D bodies
            43 m43 and legacy glass
            loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

LR is great for processing photographs, and has the advantage over image editors such as Photoshop that everything is reversible, you don't have to remember to work on a copy. It took a little while to get used to this different way of working but, once you do, you are unlikely to want to go back. You still have to dip into Photoshop or simliar for more complex edits, where you're going to need layers or other more advanced editing techniques, but I find that happens relatively rarely.

The other big advantage of LR is that it is outstanding for organising your work... cataloguing your pictures, publishing to web sites like Flickr, generating slideshows, web galleries etc.

Steve.
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X