How do I over or under expose with Auto ISO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I over or under expose with Auto ISO

I am using the M1 with the shutter speed and aperture to suit what I want and then using auto ISO to get the exposure more or less correct - however there are times that I want to over or underexpose the subject.

From what I can see and read there is no lever or wheel I can use to achieve this.

Please tell me that there is something that I have not understand in the manual.

I want to avoid switching the ISO to a set value as that requires extra fiddling. I know I can set a specific over ride value for a given metering type in the menu structure.
    This space for rent

Re: How do I over or under expose with Auto ISO

you have answered your own question - it's an override in menu, and can be set differently for different metering modes.

this is a step forwards from the Ex models, but it would be better still to permit direct exposure compensation.
    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
    43 m43 and legacy glass
    loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Thanks - I was hoping for a more instant and direct method that could be easily reversed
      This space for rent

Comment

I don't have an E M1 (yet) but I have downloaded the manual. I think that if you look at p99 it shows you how to assign exposure compensation to a button. This should allow you to use a wheel to under or over expose. I don't know if you have any spare buttons though!

Hope this is of some help.

Gus
        Gus
        __________________________________________________ ______________
        E-M1 E-620 XZ-1 (E-300) - M12-40 ZD9-18 ZD14-45 ZD14-54 ZD40-150 ZD70-200 ZD35mm Macro EC-14

Comment

I have wanted to have the same control when in M mode. The only way I can see is to flip the lever in position 2 and then using the front dial adjust the iso to get your over/under exposure. The compensation along with shutter and aperture are shown in a line just down from the top of the screen.
          John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Originally posted by Magus View Post
            I don't have an E M1 (yet) but I have downloaded the manual. I think that if you look at p99 it shows you how to assign exposure compensation to a button. This should allow you to use a wheel to under or over expose. I don't know if you have any spare buttons though!

Hope this is of some help.

Gus
            not relevant in M mode with Auto ISO (on any E system camera) including your 620.
            E, Pen and OM-D bodies
            43 m43 and legacy glass

Comment

Can't be done on the E-M5 either. A lot of people have voiced this as a nice to have feature.
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post
                I have wanted to have the same control when in M mode. The only way I can see is to flip the lever in position 2 and then using the front dial adjust the iso to get your over/under exposure. The compensation along with shutter and aperture are shown in a line just down from the top of the screen.
                Yes that does what you want - provided that you have "Lever Function" (Menu Cog B) set to mode1 or mode 2. {See the manual, page 101}.

It is also helpful to have the information display set to superimpose a histogram so you can check the effect as you dial in the ISO adjustment.
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                  Yes that does what you want - provided that you have "Lever Function" (Menu Cog B) set to mode1 or mode 2. {See the manual, page 101}.

It is also helpful to have the information display set to superimpose a histogram so you can check the effect as you dial in the ISO adjustment.
                  but, at the risk of stating the obvious, it doesn't do what Derek (OP) and many others want because you are retaining manual control of the ISO for exposure purposes rather than using it in Auto mode with the ability to dial in a little compensation if required.

An example might help - shooting rugby I will select a shutter speed for the movement control, the aperture for the dof required for the type of shots and leave the exposure in the hands of the ISO - I don't care about noise, grain etc the shots dead with motion blur or critical elements oof! Now, so far so good - until one team has mainly white shirts and the other black and white bands (for example). Spot or CW are useless (haven't time to judge where the exposure balance is being made!); what I really want is matrix exposure with a tweak up +0.7 or 1.0 probably, dialing down a bit as the mud gets applied!

there's no logical reason it can't be permitted, because effectively that's what's preventing it - permission!
                  E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                  43 m43 and legacy glass

Comment

photo_owl you described my dilemma exactly apart from the subject not being sports related.
                    This space for rent

Comment

On my PEN and E series cameras you can AE shift easily. I'd be surprised if the OM EM1 hasn't got this feature. Maybe a trawl through the manual will turn it up.
                      Too many cameras!
                      E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

Originally posted by byegad View Post
                        On my PEN and E series cameras you can AE shift easily. I'd be surprised if the OM EM1 hasn't got this feature. Maybe a trawl through the manual will turn it up.
                        you will have to explain this a little more - I'm afraid the only thing I can relate to AE shift is Ps, which changes the shutter/aperture relationship in Program mode but has no impact on exposure (which you just dial on top in P mode).

E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                        43 m43 and legacy glass

Comment

Hi

In Aperture Priority. rear dial changes aperture front dial alters exposure + or -

Hope this answers your question.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Semmens View Post
                            Hi

In Aperture Priority. rear dial changes aperture front dial alters exposure + or -

Hope this answers your question.

Chris
                            but we (this thread is about) M mode.....
                            E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                            43 m43 and legacy glass

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                              but we (this thread is about) M mode.....
                              Not related to the specific issue, but my wife came home frustrated with the teaching staff (at school) because they weren't reading the details given.

I can understand the disappointment (or rather, frustration) in not having this particular specific function as I can see it would have its uses. Maybe a bit more pressure on Olympus & it might be included in some future models & maybe, just maybe, added to some existing models, but I am dreaming now. One ideal way to include ISO compensation would be to have the + & - adjustment in the SCP under the ISO box (like flash compensation is), but now I'm really dreaming.
                              Ross
                              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                              X