Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

The importance of Sequential+IS Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of Sequential+IS Off

I have been having problems taking sharp photographs with the E-M1 and after I had posted some shots of Purple Sandpipers today and was whinging away as usual I received a reply from photo_owl (sorry I don't know your real name.) He asked whether I was using sequential shooting mode with the 'Seq+IS Off' setting set to 'On' (the default). I checked and, indeed, I was. What this rather confusing setting means is that in the 'On' position, Image Stabilisation is not taking place when Sequential Shooting is selected, even if a single frame is shot.

As an experiment tonight, I took some shots of my tame doorstop Owl in poor incandescent light. I tried shooting with the setting set to 'On" and then repeating the shot with it set to 'Off'.

The results were a bit of an eye opener to me. The first shot is the very best I got in the 'On' position and the second is a typical shot in the 'Off' position. These are jpegs, straight out of the camera, just cropped slightly and re-sized for web use. The shutter speed was 1/20 sec, the focal length was 200mm and I was focusing on a point just below the 'beak'.

They seem to show two things to me. One is that this setting is really important. The second is that I am not very good at long handheld exposures.

The setting can be found under 'cog C'. Many thanks to photo_owl for his suggestion and I can't wait to try it in 'the wild' to see if it helps. I am sure it will. Let me know if you try it and notice a difference too.

Setting 'On'

Setting 'Off'

Ron

Re: The importance of Sequential+IS Off

Hopefully this could be the answer we've been looking for...i'm gonna harrass some market pigeons in my lunch break tomorrow and test the theory too. If it works i'm gonna owe photo owl a pint!
    Slowly expanding Flickr
    ..and my horribly out of date website

Comment

I've always set it to off (which means IS on) ever since I had an E system camera with this facility, however when using a Myset for BIF IS is always set to off.

David
      PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Just for curiosity's sake I tried a little bit of post processing in Photoshop on the second image.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
          I've always set it to off (which means IS on) ever since I had an E system camera with this facility, however when using a Myset for BIF IS is always set to off.

David
          You are a wiser man than me David. However, hopefully this tip might prove helpful to other users who have not understood the full significance of the setting. If, indeed, it does make a difference.

Ron

Comment

When the camera arrives from the factory ... what is the default setting for Seq+IS ?

Comment

As far as I remember it is On

Comment

Originally posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
                When the camera arrives from the factory ... what is the default setting for Seq+IS ?
                According to the manual, the default is On which means that IS will be off for sequential shooting.
                Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

Thank for this Ron, it is a dramatic demonstration of the results of getting it wrong!

Comment

that's a very interesting result Ron, not one I have ever seen in my shooting but enough to make me want to try it myself to see if I can also see an effect

I look forward to seeing how this progresses for you in future tests

(The IS is definitely in operation on half-press of the shutter button with the setting ON)

Comment

Good call Ron, I've just got in from a very hairy half-hour on the beach, where I tried it and wasn't convinced I was seeing much of a difference so then shot my little stuffed musical donkey (don't ask - I blame my sister in law ) at very slow shutter speed (1/10th sec with 300mm!) with it set on, blurred as you would expect, set off, lovely and sharp!

I reckon the reason I haven't spotted this is because of my way of shooting when using sequential shooting ie: my shutter speed being 1/1000th sec+

I will have to play shooting with lower shutter speed for my BIFs with it set Off once the weather improves a bit

Comment

Thanks for your feedback Brian. I suppose it is only a problem in specific circumstances. You have to be shooting in sequential mode. You have to have the setting set to 'On'. You have to have IS active. It is probably exaggerated by longer focal lengths and slower shutter speeds.

I meet all these criteria when I am shooting small birds at a distance in poor light with a lens which is not particularly fast. It will not be a problem for other photographers working in a different way. It will be interesting to see if there is an improvement the next time I try to photograph some birds with the setting set to 'Off'. Hopefully there will be.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post

David
                          That is interesting David. I had never even considered changing the setting on my E-510 or E-30. I don't know if either or both of these cameras have the facility to change the setting. Perhaps it could explain why I always seemed to get sharper results from the E-510 than the E-30?

Ron

Comment

The reason why I have always set it to Off is that I never use single shot, always sequential. I use "L" at 4 fps which enables sequential shooting if I want or a single frame with careful control of my shutter finger without having to change settings. If it is set to "On" then I would have no IS at all. I use "H" only for fast objects and only with Mysets assigned to Fn1 & Fn2.

David
                            PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

I use 'L' at 4 fps too. When I first had the camera I ended up with two shots of everything. Slowing down the fps has solved that problem for me.

I always use sequential shooting, although I usually take only single shots, and I always have IS turned on (I am not sure if that is a good idea or not.)

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X