The importance of Sequential+IS Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The importance of Sequential+IS Off

Ron, a real improvement in that last set, that last one of the Herring Gull has more detail available and, I reckon, is getting as close to "as good as it gets" for the shooting conditions

The Sanderling looks to have focused on the grass just behind it, ditto with the Turnstone but the new settings seem to be working

On what I have read and seen here and from my own quick tests I think photo owl is correct when he said
    personally I think Oly have the wrong default setting here

Comment

It's a pity I missed the focus point with the Turnstone and, especially, the Sanderling. It's the first time I have seen a Sanderling for about a ear and there were two of them feeding in the bandstand gardens. I am more used to seeing them chasing after the waves along the water's edge on the beach. In my defence they were constantly on the move and only stopped for an instant a couple of times. I think I got too excited with my shutter finger. Still it is good to know that something was in focus in each shot, even if it was only the grass. I decided to shoot raw plus jpeg today, as I don't have a raw converter at work. I might have a play with the raw files for the Herring Gulls later to see if I can improve on them.

It would be interesting to know why Olympus chose the IS off setting as the default. It seems rather a strange decision.

Ron

Comment

Thanks. I think this setting is in all the E-m series. I had my E-m5 with me today and I did the setting.

So by default it's ON..I wonder why.
        * Henry
        * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Confused here in Wales......

What should the setting be........Sequential + IS On/Off

Just requiring confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave in Wales View Post
            Confused here in Wales......

What should the setting be........Sequential + IS On/Off

Just requiring confirmation.
            That's not a setting option

Seq+IS OFF - ON means that IS is OFF when shooting in seq modes

Seq+IS OFF - OFF means that IS is ON when shoting in seq modes, and frame rate may suffer
            E, Pen and OM-D bodies
            43 m43 and legacy glass
            loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

And just to clarify matters, the Seq+IS setting should have no effect if you are in single shot mode. It should only have an effect if you are in sequential mode.
              Archie

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                if you go to the link in post #20 you will see that I concluded the same based on a similar 'test'.

whilst I have nothing whatsoever to base it on I strongly suspect that the reality lies in something like -

when shoting sequentially at higher than 3.5fps with IS on it is possible that reduced rates may be experienced.....

given the number of other issues that will also affect frame rates I really don't give a monkeys what the actual figures might theoretically be - the unavoidable fact is that they will be what they will be!

however, the basis of IS in these cameras does mean that you will see apparently displaced subjects when using v long focal length lenses and IS in Seq because the sensor is moved to different positions, which can look a little 'weird' - but given the alternative it's a no-brainer.

personally I think Oly have the wrong default setting here - but that's just my opinion.
                This isn't unique to the E-M1 as the E-M5 has the same default setting. I better recheck my E-M5 tomorrow morning (when I'm out of bed), but I think I have mine set to OFF anyhow.
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                  That's not a setting option

Seq+IS OFF - ON means that IS is OFF when shooting in seq modes

Seq+IS OFF - OFF means that IS is ON when shoting in seq modes, and frame rate may suffer
                  Admittedly, this type of wording in the Menu does play with your head a little & a little bit of thought is required before realising what it is really meaning, but I guess some people can get caught out with 'double negatives' in the English language too.
                  Ross
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

A fellow Olympus user on the birding site which I use, who is a terrific photographer, was complaining that her new Olympus 75-300 II was producing inferior results to the Panasonic 100-300 which she used before. She thought that the lens stabilization of the Panasonic lens was superior to the IBIS in her Olympus camera.

I asked her to check the Seq + IS Off setting in her camera if she was using sequential shooting. This was on the assumption that the lens stabilization in the Panasonic lens would be working, even if the camera IBIS was inadvertently switched off. She did so and told me that she would report her findings later.

Today she has told me that the results were excellent and posted an example of her latest work. Here it is (I hope the link works.) I think it is a stunning result from a £400 lens. Mind you, the Saudi Arabian sun probably helps a little bit.

Ron

Comment

Today she has told me that the results were excellent and posted an example of her latest work. Here it is (I hope the link works.) I think it is a stunning result from a £400 lens. Mind you, the Saudi Arabian sun probably helps a little bit
                      As you say and yes, a little bit of sun helps an awful lot - roll on summer!

Comment

Pity sports mode on the EM5 and 1 wouldn't take care of the settings on CF and IS. would save a lot of aggro..lol

Comment

Thanks for that - completely against what i thought the setting was

Comment

So can this be altered in the Exxx series ?
                            I can't seem to find it in the settings menu..... But would be really interested to know.
                            Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
                            Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
                            Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Originally posted by cinders View Post
                              So can this be altered in the Exxx series ?
                              I can't seem to find it in the settings menu..... But would be really interested to know.
                              I don't believe it was a Menu option for the E620.
                              Ross

Comment

No, I couldn't find it. But... is it set to on or off for sequential shooting in that case?
                                Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
                                Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
                                Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Working...
                                X