Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need people to test the FL-LM2 on their EM-1

Hi,

I am having an issue with the FL-LM2 on my EM-1 when using 43 lenses (on an MMF-3) and stopping down to small apertures. I get correct exposure, under exposure but mostly over-exposure (so it not because I am at the limit of the flash)!

I would really appreciate it if EM-1 owners would pop on their FL-LM2 this evening and with the camera set to fill flash take shots in a dimly lit room and gradually increase F-number.

I only have 43 lenses so can only check these. In particular my 50mm gets erratic exposure when I go above F18. The 50-200mm (@50mm) gets erratic a bit earlier. My 11-22 (@22) gets it above about F10!

With each lens there appears to be an F-number that behaves but go one further and the issue appears.

All settings are pretty much standard and I am on matrix metering ( though it does it with spot too). The issue appears on my 50mm whether I am focussed .5m or 3m away (I am in my living room)

Oh and I have just received a second FL-LM2 today and it does the same.

Why am I trying to shoot like this? It is an essential technique underwater.

Is it my camera? Is it 43 lenses on EM-1? Does it happen with m43 lenses? Is it something else?

Hopefully you lot can help.

Simon

Re: Need people to test the FL-LM2 on their EM-1

just a quick check........

you are in M mode?

alternatively you have your low sync flash setting at 5 secs (I'm exagerrating to make a point re it's impact on shots with such apertures and lighting!)?

you sound as though you are simply runnig out of either flash power or camera setting availabilty
    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
    43 m43 and legacy glass
    loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Nope I'm in A and it picks 1/60 for the shutter

However... <testing now> .... in M it is erratic at 1/20, at 1/320 and various points in between. In M at 1/320 and F20 it can still over-expose!

Just did your 5sec test - with the room lights off - three shots under-exposed, then one white-out!

Simon

Comment

Oh did you mean the settings menu.

X-Sync 1/320
        Slow Limit 1/60

I shall adjust to 5secs for the later and shoot in A @F20...

white-out, white-out, over-exposure, correct exposure, correct, correct, white-out.

EDIT I had the room lights on this time so the correct exposures could well have had low flash levels since the 5secs exposure the available light.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
          you sound as though you are simply runnig out of either flash power or camera setting availabilty
          Over-exposure means I cannot be running out of flash power and the settings are fine and normal. This is why I need testers to try what I am doing.

Comment

sorry - just re-read....

testing boots on

you want me to put the mmf and 50mm at small apertures
            E, Pen and OM-D bodies
            43 m43 and legacy glass

Comment

No probs, it got me to try out a few other combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                sorry - just re-read....

testing boots on

you want me to put the mmf and 50mm at small apertures
                yes please

Comment

???????

have you got RC mode on?
                  E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                  43 m43 and legacy glass

Comment

I was having a nightmare and seemingly dulicating your results (but more under ex) and then I switched RC mode off..............and had no problems at f22.....
                    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                    43 m43 and legacy glass

Comment

Nah. that just makes for black exposures

Comment

ah well, can't help then.

mine was set to Hi, and gave OK exposures at lower f's (pure luck)

switching that off (I've never used that flash to do anything but control!) and everything works exactly as I would anticipate using auto ISO, manual ISO, A or M modes - spot and ESP metering. If anything it was delivering a slight (consistent) underexposure (possibly protecting the pith areas)

this was my target subject

f22/1/20/400
                        E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                        43 m43 and legacy glass

Comment

Thank you for trying, could you do it with something a bit wider too since it seems to go wrong at larger F-stops with my 11-22mm.

Perhaps my EM-1 body has issues (I have tried a second FL-LM2 and other lenses remember).
                          Though a one off fault is actually preferable to a general issue.

Be grateful if some others could try this test too before I contact Olympus.

Comment

Actually I need to test some more. I had not tried my 11-22mm (or the 50-200) with the replacement FL-LM2...

Comment

Testing, testing

OK it's only my 50mm that has issues with high F over-exposure using the replacement FL-LM2 that arrived. Sorry I should have tested the 11-22 and 50-200 before posting. My 50mm is a lens that has had an adventurous life (I did promise Ian I would post about this and I shall but that is a longer tale to tell).

Anyway the fact that photo_owl gets good results with his 50mm and my other lenses are OK with the second FL-LM2 means I suspect my 50mm rather than anything else. So don't anybody else feel compelled to test unless you are curious. I don't think my EM-1 has an issue.

Suffice to say I now notice there maybe something inside the lens that could be causing the erratic metering I have a hunch but will hold off posting until I have figured out more.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X