Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Camera Set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Set-up

Several people have asked about how we each have our cameras set up so I thought I would start with mine. as used for the bulk of my work, BIFs, sport etc

(mods - if there is another thread already started on this please transfer my settings, but I didn't spot one)

Except where noted it is set to factory standard:

Camera menu 1:

image aspect 3:2
    Digital Teleconverter off

Camera menu 2:

Standard

Arrow key menu:

Standard

gear wheel a:

full time af off
    MF assist Magnify on
    Peaking off
    focus point set home centre small
    face priority off
    C-AF lock Normal

gear wheel b:

standard

gear wheel c

Button Function lower front of camera button re-assigned to magnify
    Rls Priority C on

Frame rate L fps = 6

Half Way Rls with IS on

Release Lag-time Normal

gear wheel D:

Control settings P/S/A/M Live control off, Live SCP on

Displayed grid 9 box
    Live view boost Off
    Frame Rate High
    LV close up mode 2

Gear wheel E, F, G,H and I

standard

Gear Wheel J built in EVF:

EVF style 2
    Histogram level gauge and basic information active
    EVF auto switch off

Gear Wheel K

Touch screen setting off

Spanner Menu:

Rec View off

Variations:

If I'm shooting with CAF enabled then I always use 6fps in L and Focus points are usually set to 9 box, one point off-centre left or right depending on the direction of the action

If I'm shooting action with SAF enabled I sometimes shoot single shot, others can be 6fps or 10fps depending on the situation , typically small single point centre but if shooting BIF in an open sky I will use large box of 9 point

If shooting in very dark or very bright light I will switch to LV boost and set the exposure meter to show in the EVF

I think that's everything (just sat here going through the camera menus)

A few other things:

Battery grip always attached, with battery in the grip only

I mainly shoot using centre weighted metering but will use spot when shooting objects with a wide exposure difference from the background

IS is on for >90% the time, even when shooting with high shutter speed or of the monopod, usually IS/1 or sometimes IS auto (when a random bit of fast panning may be needed)

I shoot LSF jpg + RAW and have LR5 set to treat them as separate images

Re: Camera Set-up

why 3:2? if you use 4:3 you have all sensor size and then can crop...I think that is bettere crop in post but is my personal opinion.
    Sorry for my bad english
    My site: https://www.fotografodigitale.org

Comment

Keep an eye open here too for any suggestions he might have. http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/news.html
      Ross
      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks Tommy, I didn't say I was right - its just the way I like to work (in my mind I try to use it as a DSLR ) The RAW file comes in at 4:3 anyway from memory.

Thinking a bit more about it I realised that >90% of the pictures I sell are in the 3:2 format so having it set this way probably helps me when composing the image in the EVF, (the majority of the rest are in 4:3)

I have been watching his blog Ross, some interesting thoughts there already

Comment

Free your mind from this crazy 3:2 restriction!
          Olympus OM-D E-M5 mk3. Yes I'm ahead of you!
          My Pics Digikam, Gimp, Kubuntu Inkscape

Comment

4 x 3 is more compatible with ISO paper sizes.

2 x 3 is a hangover from an expediency of using 35mm movie film stock.
            This space for rent

Comment

Any aspect ratio is arbitrary - 3:2 from Herr Barnack and his early Leicas using movie stock, 4:3 from TV and thencomputer screens, square-root-of-2 for the metric "A" paper sizes........

If Brian finds that pictures in 3:2 sell well and that ratio suits his vision, fine. It's good that we have the choice and that it works intelligently as a composition aid in the viewfinder. It's better that the raw file will still give us all the pixels from the sensor.

A particular daftness was in the early days of digital. "People" en masse still used to get stuff printed and it was only computer buffs who did their own thing at home. The cameras shot at 4:3 but high street labs insisted on printing 6 inches by 4 (or 7 by 5 if you really wanted to push the boat out), neither of which matched the original image format. I overheard some very entertaining conversations where the lab staff tried to explain why they had cut bits off two edges, or left white margins on the other two.

Ciao ... John

Comment

Yes, except if your sensor is 4:3, it seems a pointless to throw a part of it away at the outset. Shoot at full sensor size. Then crop to suit the picture in post.
                Olympus OM-D E-M5 mk3. Yes I'm ahead of you!
                My Pics Digikam, Gimp, Kubuntu Inkscape

Comment

Hang on a minute fellers, its my mind and I will use it as I like (its good to be different! )

As I said earlier and John picked up, its the way I like to work because it suits my way of seeing my images. The RAW is still there in its 4:3 should I need it

Come on now, lets be seeing how you set your cameras up, that was the request I was responding to, share our way of working so that we can learn from each other

Comment

I always use 3:2 as well. As I shoot raw I can shift the crop up or down on the 4:3 image which I find quite useful when I get my composition a bit wrong. I use 3:2 because it fits better on my computer monitor which is where most of my images get viewed. I rarely shoot portrait orientation for the same reason.

Comment

Base ISO.
                      Daylight white balance.
                      Aperture priority.
                      Manual focus.
                      Single shot.

My bodies are set up as digital OM2.
                      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this in but it seems as good as any. I would be interested to know what setting other people use for 'Noise Filter' (cog 4e.)

The reason why I want to know is that when I am processing raw images in Lightoom I have noticed huge amounts of noise. If I click on the image in the develop window to enlarge it, it almost looks like a pointillist painting composed of coloured dots. I couldn't make out what was happening but I suddenly remembered that I had changed the Noise Filter setting from 'Standard' to 'Off' a couple of weeks ago, as an experiment. I wonder if this could be causing the problem, although I am not sure if it makes any difference to raw images. I have changed it back to 'Standard' and will see if it improves the image but, in the meantime, I would be interested to hear what setting other people are using.

Ron

Comment

I have mine set to default which is Standard but I did notice in the manual that it is switched to "Off" when sequential shooting (which I read as there being no noise reduction in that case)

I can't say I have noticed any more noise in either jpg or orf files when shooting sequentially at ISO1600

Comment

Thanks Brian. I have just had a look at the Biofos setup article and it seems that it doesn't make any difference with raw images. Thinking about it, a lot of my images recently have been taken in poor light with Auto ISO selecting 3200. I suppose they will look rather noisy.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post
                              I have mine set to default which is Standard but I did notice in the manual that it is switched to "Off" when sequential shooting (which I read as there being no noise reduction in that case)

I can't say I have noticed any more noise in either jpg or orf files when shooting sequentially at ISO1600
                              Noise filter is what is applied to your jpegs but the noise reduction (as in Olympus naming) is the dark frame subtraction & that cannot be activated in sequential shooting.
                              Ross
                              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                              X