Dots on long exposure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dots on long exposure

What could have caused this? Dirty sensor, lens or bug?

1)

2)

Lens used is the 4/3 Lumix 14-150 with the MMF1 adapter.
    * Henry
    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Re: Dots on long exposure

Just a thought, but did you have a filter on the lens?
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

It's not dust on the sensor, this would be sharply defined. More likely to be on a lens element or as Stephen says on a filter.

David
      PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

The 14-150 is prone to dust in the lens I've got some dust in mine but it doesn't usually show in images. The only time I've seen it is airshow zoom shots with lots of blue sky and it looked fuzzier and more indistinct than your spots. The intense firework flashes might be causing some reflections of some dust particles but if they are then to get that number of spots you must have a lot of dust in there. Hopefully as Stephen said it's on a filter and not in the lens if that's what is causing your spots.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Sorry this does not look like dust to me.

Dust on the sensor or lens causes darker patches not lighter and certainly not a perfect circle, dust is not uniform in shape.

These look like orbs to me or concentric circles of confusion that you get in out of focus highlights known as bokeh. If the aperture was not stopped down then this is more possible, if it was then these circles would be more hexagonal in shape, but there is no exif in the image.

Is it circles of confusion caused by moisture in the air,possibly, is it internal lens reflections I doubt it as it is to uniform and lens or filter reflections do not cause repeated perfect circles, but I do not honestly know.

I do know it is unlikely to be dust even though it is the option being most popular. If anyone would care to show me a image with repeated perfect circles of confusion caused by dust I would be interested to see them.
          Regards Paul.
          One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

I don't think it's OOF circles of confusion. The pattern is the same in both pictures.
            Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569882@N05/

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of water marks or droplets of water on the filter - away from the front element?
              Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by bilbo View Post
                I don't think it's OOF circles of confusion. The pattern is the same in both pictures.
                Yes but both images are aligned exactly as if a tripod was used, I'm not saying it is circles of confusion just that it is not dust on the filter.we will probably never know, unless there are more repeated instances of this with the OM-D E-M1 then I would be inclined to think it was something enedemic to the camera itself.
                Regards Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                  I was thinking more along the lines of water marks or droplets of water on the filter - away from the front element?
                  Stephen I have seen this effect with moisture droplets in the air but never on the lens filter itself. Water droplets that close to the lens would be huge.
                  Regards Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by OlyPaul View Post
                    Yes but both images are aligned exactly as if a tripod was used, I'm not saying it is circles of confusion just that it is not dust on the filter.we will probably never know, unless there are more repeated instances of this with the OM-D E-M1 then I would be inclined to think it was something enedemic to the camera itself.
                    indeed

it would help to see a shot from a different position shot on the night, even better that plus another from the same position with a different focal length.

at the moment there's to much common to both images - there may even be something in the background that's reflecting the illumination!

I also think it's a reasonable assumption that they are circa 5 sec, f18 @ 14mm iso 200
                    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                    43 m43 and legacy glass
                    loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                      I agree just like when I get sea spray on filters.
                      OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Stephen I have seen this effect with moisture droplets in the air but never on the lens filter itself. Water droplets that close to the lens would be huge.
                        Paul
                        I have suffered similar on many occasions due to what I shoot regularly and on my images it can be tough to spot until you have a ruined image on the PC

Large water droplets at night in heavy rain

Rains spts at night by alf.branch, on Flickr

Fine sea spray giving smaller spots sometimes hundreds

Sea spray by alf.branch, on Flickr
                        OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

Thanks for that Alf, it seems that is more likely the problem ( but I was sure it was not dust) but his seem more uniform and not all over , we now need to know from the OP if it was raining on that night.
                          Regards Paul.

Comment

we now need to know from the OP if it was raining on that night.
                            Could be from a fountain a water ride or anything that produced a fine spray really even a fizzy drink.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.

Checked the filter and lens, It's relatively clean. The camera was on a tripod hence the position is the same.
                              * Henry
                              * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X