EM-1 Lock-up Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

After reporting a truly awful day of lockups to Olympus three weeks ago (I already had a problem thread open with them) they agreed that it needed replacing. Rather than send it back and wait for a new one I spoke to London Camera Exchange, where I bought it. They spoke to their Oly rep and he agreed (I have no idea whether arm-twisting was involved ) and they got a newer 12-40 kit in. I went and swapped this morning. Serial number is a lot higher so it looks as if it could be from a newer batch.

I've tried a few shots with a few lenses and it has behaved, so it will get baptised in anger at the next rugby match. I may be kidding myself but the shutter seems to sound quite different on this one. It's going to be hard photographing the action with fingers crossed while simultaneously stroking the rabbit's foot, but hey, you do what you must.

This post might look familiar - I've copied it to the other two threads we are currently running on this.

Ciao ... John

Comment

fingers crossed that will sort it for you John (good service by LCE and Olympus)

Comment

Yes, good service.

After speaking with Mark last weekend, I genuinely believe that Olympus are trying hard to solve the problem. The trouble is the Japanese culture. They won't publicly admit to an issue, or having difficulties sorting it, until they actually have a solution. That doesn't mean they're not working on it.
        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Good point Stephen, I worked with them for many years and you are spot on here
          They won't publicly admit to an issue, or having difficulties sorting it, until they actually have a solution
          (I once spent 6 weeks working in a Yokohama shipyard trying to persuade them we had solved their problem. I was only invited to meet with the top team the day before I returned to the UK as, at that point they had double checked everything I had said and done and finally agreed the problem was indeed solved. Until then I was not recognised as having been in the yard )

Let's hope the answer is found and implemented soon

Comment

I agree with both Stephen and Brian, but the Japanese are not alone in this. I have met this with German companies too.

Also not all Japanese camera manufacturer's have this policy either. Fuji are well known for their responsiveness to try and meet their customer suggestions and deal with any reported design issues.

Finally it is a matter of marketing risk and this is where statistics play a vital role. If the most reported problem comes from an area of lowest sales, the risk is deemed to me minimal! This factor plays a more important factor when the company concerned is not financially healthy.

Comment

Working...
            X