EM-1 Lock-up Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

I always format my cards between each use, in the camera. I have read that it is actually better to format them each time on your PC and then in camera, but I haven't done than.
    Regards,
    Mark

------------------------------
    http://www.microcontrast.com
    Too much Oly gear.
    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
      I always format my cards between each use, in the camera. I have read that it is actually better to format them each time on your PC and then in camera, but I haven't done than.
      Hi Mark.
      I see you have experienced lock-ups with the E-M1 so that potentially rules out card format errors.

Steve.
      See some of my pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tagbartok/

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!

Comment

I also format the card (in camera) each time before use. I have also had lockups when there is no card activity going on at all. While it is quite possible that card problems will cause the camera to behave strangely, including possibly locking up, I think it is not the cause of all the problems.

John

Comment

Correct. I'd be surprised if there is one 'peripheral' cause that explains all of these disparate events. It seems to me there's more likely to be a more 'central' issue (i.e. something fundamental that gets triggered in some cameras by one of several events or combinations).
          e.g. something to do with power supply, or a central firmware or display problem.
          Regards,
          Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

I used the Oly hot line today and spoke to Chris Dale. There is still no fix and Oly are working on it high priority.

Interestingly he said that they had sold millions of EM1s and the proportion of those experiencing lockup are very small he said 0.01%. I said that about 50% of members on this forum were experiencing lockups. I suggested that it rather indicates a faulty camera if I am experiencing lockups and the rest of the world has only a small proportion of lockups. He said that was not the case. So no exchange. I thought someone on here had said that US buyers were getting exchange units. If that's true it seems to me to be giving different treatment depending on where in the world you are.

I remain adamant that it is not acceptable for a camera of this build quality to lockup. Comparison with other digital equipment do not apply and if they did I would not accept that either. There is a fault with probably the hardware when modern day digital equipment randomly fails to function as designed more like bad contact somewhere.

I also asked if there was built in coding to capture lockups (he was not aware of any) and he said that he would feed that back to the engineers with the possibility of a new release to try and capture some evidence of why this thing is locking up.

So how long should I give Oly and if that time expires with no fix do I ask for my money back. I am assuming that I would have to go back to the shop where I brought the camera from for a refund.
            John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
              Birdboy, there are others on here far more conversant with the Sale Of Goods Act than I am but I think if you have had the camera for more than 2 or 3 weeks you are only entitled to a repair or replacement... not a refund. You are correct in thinking it is the retailer who is the responsible party.

John
              You would thought that if the 0.01% were a true and accurate reflection of the lockup problem then Oly would not have hesitated with offering a replacement as they clearly cannot repair it. At the moment it feels like something is very wrong with what is going on here and the way we in this country are being treated. Surely if the lockup cameras are a very small proportion why not recall them and play around with them in their test labs. I am beginning to think they know what the problem is but cannot fix it at the moment. Sorry for the rant but getting to the thoroughly fed up stage now.
              John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

My second lockup today

Situation - I had had the card out of the camera for 4.5 hours connected to the computer - it had been transferring pictures to the computer and was left connected to the computer long after the transfer had finished.

I realised that I had not zeroed the card, so inserted the card in the camera and reformatted the card. I then wanted use "A" mode with a higher ISO value. The SCP was visible, but the aperture could not be changed or the shutter released, viewfinder was blank - released and re-inserted the battery, camera worked OK. The battery was reasonably fully charged and is not giving any low charge warning.
                This space for rent

Comment

At 100 per million this site seems to have a very big percent of the locking up cameras.
                  Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                    At 100 per million this site seems to have a very big percent of the locking up cameras.

On the other hand, the bulk of the million won't be aware of this site, may not have had a problem so therefore will not have searched for others who have had similar problems to share.

As I've said before, we are a self-selected sample composed primarily of those who are here because we had this problem and wanted to share it, so I don't think we can draw any realistic conclusions regarding the population statistical probability of occurrence of failure

Comment

WE are not here because of the problem - we use this site because we use Oly gear, then some of us have reported problems, it could well be that other followers of this site have had problems and either not noticed them, or have thought there are enough people reporting the problem so no need to add their voice to the unanswered cry.
                      This space for rent

Comment

Derek, I was referring only to those who post in this thread not those using the site at large and my point still stands, we do not have a proper statistical sample of the population of EM-1 owners, UK or world-wide, so cannot make any meaningful comment on the probability of the problem occurring in that wider population, only in our own small and selected group of contributors

Edit, I see your point, I used the word "Site" when I should have said "This Thread", sorry, not being pedantically correct can be confusing

Comment

No worries
                          This space for rent

Comment

I suspect that lots of people are having lock-ups but, since it is easily fixed by removing the battery, many won't be that bothered by it. I am not saying that it is not an important issue. Just that many won't consider it to be.

I have not reported my lock-ups to Olympus since each has happened under different circumstances and I always find it difficult to remember what was happening just before. I also don't want to return the camera.

I imagine it will get fixed in a firmware update.

Comment

I have an EM1 since November and use a Sandisk 16GB SDHC 95mb/s class 10.
                              Never ever had any problem related to lock-up.
                              Last week bought another card, exactly the same type and brand. EVERY time i use it i have a lock-up, sooner or latter, 6 by now. Most of it when reviewing the photos. Only once when taking the photo and it kept writting indefinitely to the card locking the camera. Some of the times, it gave me a 'card error' message.
                              Analysing my experience im lead to believe that i have a faulty card, im going to exchange it. Just to share my experience.

Comment

Before we get carried away thinking that it's only Oly having such problems...

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-A...LR-Camera.html
                                Regards,
                                Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X