Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Birds in Flight Bif EM-5 and EM-1

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post
    I found an interesting quote regarding continuous focus tracking using the new canon composite sensor in the 70D

Sounds a bit like my experiences so far with the EM-5 and EM-1

I think I will stick with my use of SAF +MF and "blipping" the shutter button as I manually track the bird through the sky until it reaches my "critical moment", followed by a quick burst at 4fps or 6fps respectively to capture the action, as here:

note - these are three different "attacks" not a continuous sequence )

What have they done to these pictures, yes they are sharp but they look horrible especially the last one
    Look like cut outs from other pictures.
    All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

I think they are over-sharpened - there are some halos around the high-contrast edges.

Ian
      Founder and editor of:
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
      sigpic

Comment

I do agree also I had the camera set to Vivid Art Filter and whazzed the Contrast up when taking these ...

I over sharpened in trying to "see" more detail ! pixel peking ! to see "what this camera/lens combo had captured in my rather feeble attempts at Bif with it and much worse a SIN, I took them in small jpeg format ! not RAW

Andy, I was in jpeg but playing so small jpeg files
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
          I do agree also I had the camera set to Vivid Art Filter and whazzed the Contrast up when taking these ...

I over sharpened in trying to "see" more detail ! pixel peking ! to see "what this camera/lens combo had captured in my rather feeble attempts at Bif with it and much worse a SIN, I took them in small jpeg format ! not RAW

the originals are lacking the halos/fuzzy edges
          Are Andy and I referring to pictures you took? I thought Brian took them...

Ian
          Founder and editor of:
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
            I think they are over-sharpened - there are some halos around the high-contrast edges.

Ian

quite probably Andy & Ian, but the timing and focus are good, which is what I put them up for

(These are processed for web, not the original images, which I can assure you are not over-sharpened )

I should maybe explain what may seem a flippant comment - I am not putting these images up as example of my standard of photography, nor as examples of good BIF photography, purely as a bit of quick info on how the focus system on the EM-1 works for me with my range of lenses.

My primary use of my photographs is for prints, mainly for competition and sale, not for perusal on the web, so I take very little time to produce the best quality images for this use

In this case I have been rattling through over 600 shots / 1 hour session (did another this morning) and all that I am interested in examining and showing here is, is the focus system working in the mode I have it set - that's all.
            So, whilst I value your input on these shots please don't feel that I am ignoring your thoughts on sharpening etc, I hear them - but they are not relevant to me in the context of what I am trying to do here

(Chevvy and Dave can tell you about the quality of my commercial work, having kindly visited one of my exhibitions this year )

Comment

Sorry to break in but welcome Matt I am number xxxa on the OMD EM1 preorder list, looking forward to your e-mail re above and also to some of your shots on here.
              Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                Are Andy and I referring to pictures you took? I thought Brian took them...

Ian
                Not sure ! but I do know how much I sharpened mine for "pixel Peking" viewers to see the detail captured by the camera ONE + lens 75-300

May be a crossed wing or two
                [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

A quick statistical update on a walk and talk shoot whilst chatting with my wife and a couple of friends along Mudeford Quay after a greasy bacon breakfast this morning (luvverly )

approx 150 shots of birds (grabbed on the basis that if I could se it I would bang off a shot, no preparation or anything)

Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 on EM-1

approx 100 in focus / sharp (others either total miss or slightly blurry oof)

manual exposure control, single point centre focus (small), ISO 400, shutter 1/1000th - 1/1250th sec, aperture f5.6 - f8

This agrees with the sort of figures I was seeing on day 2 and for me, now represents a worst case figure for bright / cloudy high contrast shooting with the sun in front / LH / RH (ie: worst conditions for acquiring focus with BIF in my experience)

Comment

A quick statistical update on a walk and talk shoot whilst chatting with my wife and a couple of friends along Mudeford Quay after a greasy bacon breakfast this morning (luvverly )

approx 150 shots of birds (grabbed on the basis that if I could se it I would bang off a shot, no preparation or anything)

Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 on EM-1

approx 100 in focus / sharp (others either total miss or slightly blurry oof)

manual exposure control, single point centre focus (small), ISO 400, shutter 1/1000th - 1/1250th sec, aperture f5.6 - f8

This agrees with the sort of figures I was seeing on day 2 and for me, now represents a worst case figure for bright / cloudy high contrast shooting with the sun in front / LH / RH (ie: worst conditions for acquiring focus with BIF in my experience)

Brian, I chanced ISO 400 too - although we had great blue skies at Hayling, some of the time - it was mostly cloudy and bright/occasionally cloudy dull my shutter started at 2000 then down to 1/800 and down to 1/600 then mysteriously, went down to 1/250 (I think I twiddled a button and let this down) to 1/100 too slow

I seem to have used "Pattern" metering I was playing about rather a lot with settings ... and enlarging the "Green focus rectangle"

Did you use Vivid Art Filter setting ? and Contrast up high ? to aid capture ? as Matt Hope suggested to me (and I posted in my first Bif ONE thread ) ?
                    [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

I'm working with centre weighted exposure metering most of the time (except when spot is called for) both with the EM-5 and E-1. In this case it was manual exposure so not relevant.

I haven't played with the Art Filters yet nor boosted the contrast so these results are a "base-case" for me

I've had a quick look at you BIFs, they look good. I will comment more on that thread in a while (busy getting everything sorted for an early start to Thruxton tomorrow at the mo)

Comment

I'm working with centre weighted exposure metering most of the time (except when spot is called for) both with the EM-5 and E-1. In this case it was manual exposure so not relevant.

I haven't played with the Art Filters yet nor boosted the contrast so these results are a "base-case" for me

I've had a quick look at you BIFs, they look good. I will comment more on that thread in a while (busy getting everything sorted for an early start to Thruxton tomorrow at the mo)
                        Arghhh rain forecast so pac a mac
                        [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Arghhh rain forecast so pac a mac
                          I've washed me "Thermals", dug out my water-proof trousers, sealskin water-proof gloves and "beanie hat", got the Soup Thermos ready.

Its a good chance to test the waterproof qualities of the EM-1 + 12-50 kit lens + panny 35-100. (I've stuck my EM-5 body in my bag just in case )

Comment

I must admit I'm totally perplexed about this idea of upping the contrast and using an vivid colour to help with AF. These are Jpeg settings and as we all know are applied when the camera does the conversion to Jpeg.If you shoot RAW these settings do not apply so how can they help with AF

Either I'm being misled or you are.
                            All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                              I seem to have used "Pattern" metering I was playing about rather a lot with settings ... and enlarging the "Green focus rectangle"
                              Hi Chevvy,

I've been reading this thread and I'm puzzled by what you mean by enlarging the Green Focus rectangle.

If I press the fn1 button then the info button I get the option of having a small focus rectangle, a standard focus rectangle, a block of nine focus rectangles or all of the focus triangles, is this what you mean?

If not, could you tell me how to enlarge the green focus rectangle on my E-M1?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

this is more a test of shutter lag than focus speed. I had pre-focused on the Sparrow and fired off a couple of frames and suddenly thought, its going to take off, so pressed the shutter - single shot, centre point focus small box

This is the crop from the frame (around 40&#37

Comment

Working...
                                X