Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Is the OMD-EM1 a replacement for the E5 or the OMD-EM5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the OMD-EM1 a replacement for the E5 or the OMD-EM5?

I spent a couple of hours in SRS this morning playing with the E M1 again Nice to meet other forum members in there!

I went up there to try the 70-300 on the camera and just to try it out again in a quieter environment. I didn't order it although I was very, very tempted simply because I am not sure (with my photographic level) that it will offer me anything else at the moment that I won't get from the E M5 with a lot more practice. I hope this makes sense.

However playing around with it, changing menu options, lenses etc it felt far more natural in my hands than it did on Thursday and going back to the buttons on the E M5 felt quite odd and small I also had a play with C AF and C Af tracking so I have a better understanding of how they work now however I'm not sure the type of photography I do really needs them. At some point I would like this camera though and right now I have to keep stopping myself from going to the phone

By the way, if you are thinking of ordering it, you might want to order from SRS today, mention the offer they had on their website on Tuesday for a free battery and bag, in addition to the grip and adapter. If you mention it they will still offer you it although they are not advertising it. Just don't say I told you it definitely makes it a good price with the extras.

Comment

Go on, Anne, you can justify it really! Nice to meet you again!
      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
        Go on, Anne, you can justify it really! Nice to meet you again!
        Noooooo......Stephen, don't tempt me

I have just been trying to tell myself I don't need it especially after trying the keyline 'focus peaking' on the E M5 and not finding it easy. I have also been trying to customise the function buttons and they feel quite fiddly.....I keep telling myself it is psychological as they were fine before Tuesday

Back up to Watford now for the footie....I shall make sure I don't go near SRS!

Good to catch up with you today

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
          What are your concerns about whether or not it will do the job you expect of it?

Ian
          I love photography and the taking of pictures for our own personal memory of places we have been. Prior to 2008 and the E3 I had a Olympus C765UZ it was at the time a great little camera for everything but action and in particular BIF. I think it had an EVF.

I am really concerned that if I was to buy the EM1 I will lose some of the functionality I have at the moment with the E3 & E5 and miss shots because the camera did not refresh in the time I needed it too. I also do not want to be buying more remote trigger cables and flash guns. I am very interested in the EM1 as a potential addition to my equipment and that's why I have been reading the manual before buying the camera.

It also annoys me that Olympus very quickly dropped FT in favour of mirrorless bodies before the technology has properly matured. EVF and OVF should be run in parallel. When the next gizmo comes along will they then drop MFT. No other leading camera manufacturers drops its range of backward compatibility in the way which Olympus does. They had an E7 they should have put it out for their customers to decide if that was the way to go. We are being driven by what Olympus wants to make and not what their customer want.

Olympus with all its inhouse AF testing knew that the EM5 would not perform well with FT glass and I am sure they know that their tests show that the EM1 does not exceed the E5 with FT glass as far as AF is concerned.

Olympus have made many claims about the new camera. Thanks to you I got to feel and see the new camera last Thursday. I made a note of things I wanted to test on the day. 1 AF performance with FT glass in particular my 50-200mm SWD. 2) the EVF and panning and 3) MF and focus peaking. Yes I liked the new lens 12-40f2.8 and I would expect that to outperform the 12-60mmSWD I have. I liked the big viewfinder and I like the ability to do time lapse photography in camera but these were nice to have.

It was a good friendly day and useful day but I have to say that the EM1disappointed me in that it did not do the things I set out to test. That may well be down to familiarity with the camera and it is a first impression.

John
          John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post

I am really concerned that if I was to buy the EM1 I will lose some of the functionality I have at the moment with the E3 & E5 and miss shots because the camera did not refresh in the time I needed it too. I also do not want to be buying more remote trigger cables and flash guns. I am very interested in the EM1 as a potential addition to my equipment and that's why I have been reading the manual before buying the camera.
            I can't really think of anything about the E-M1 which is slower than the E-5 in the way you appear to be worried about. Is there anything specific?

The E-M1 is fully compatible with the Olympus dedicated flash system - there are no changes in this respect.

The E-M1 uses the same USB port system introduced by Olympus with the E-500 in 2005 so any compatible remote cable release will work with the E-M5. Yes, it's different to the E-5 and E-3, but every other E-System and Pen/OM-D camera model since 2005 has used the same USB port specification.

And don't forget that if you use an Android or Apple iOS smartphone or tablet you will be able to control the camera wirelessly over wifi in a very sophisticated manner.

Olympus with all its inhouse AF testing knew that the EM5 would not perform well with FT glass and I am sure they know that their tests show that the EM1 does not exceed the E5 with FT glass as far as AF is concerned.
            I don't really understand the latter half of this particular comment. All the feedback I have had from Olympus in Japan combined with my own experience comparing the E-5 with the E-M1 I have relayed here on the forums basically amounts to confidence that the E-M1 AF is better than an E-5. There are some conditions where an E-5 will work better, but overall Olympus is confident that the E-M1 is better and so am I.

I do accept that Thursday's hands-on evening was a bit spoiled by the cameras being customised willy-nilly combined with inadequate experience (myself included!) resulting in less than ideal settings for testing things out. I feel responsible for that - we should have told everyone the procedure for resetting the cameras at the very least.

Ian

John[/QUOTE]
            Founder and editor of:
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
            sigpic

Comment

There are some conditions where an E-5 will work better, but overall Olympus is confident that the E-M1 is better and so am I.
              [/QUOTE]

That's the thing where does the E5 work better. The one area I have heard Oly to refer to was in AF performance under low light what ever that may mean. Shooting in poor light is what we all have to put up with. So does that mean I can only get better shots on a sunny day

Is Olympus confident that the E-M1 is better than the E5 for BIF and panning at say motor cycle racing?

The British Super Bike Showdown is at Brands Hatch on the 20-22 Sep. Why not get some professional sports photographers to test out the new camera on that event with both FT glass and MFT glass.
              John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

That's the thing where does the E5 work better. The one area I have heard Oly to refer to was in AF performance under low light what ever that may mean. Shooting in poor light is what we all have to put up with. So does that mean I can only get better shots on a sunny day

Is Olympus confident that the E-M1 is better than the E5 for BIF and panning at say motor cycle racing?

The British Super Bike Showdown is at Brands Hatch on the 20-22 Sep. Why not get some professional sports photographers to test out the new camera on that event with both FT glass and MFT glass.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
                There is little firm data to support whether there is a real improvement for C-AF on M4/3 lenses, particularly with the lack of cross-type PDAF points.

Is anyone prepared to say if the E-M1 is anywhere near as good as an entry level DSLR, or comparable to say a D7100, for BIF or action photography in general?
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Xenon View Post
                  It's all subjective and relative. The E-M1 can focus well with Four Thirds lenses in very low light - dark enough for the view through an E-5's optical reflex viewfinder to be very dim indeed. But, yes, my experience is that the an E-5 will continue to focus after the E-M1 gives up as the light gets dimmer. Is it a deal-breaker? - not at all. Micro Four Thirds lenses on the EM-1 focus in even darker light than an E-5. You also have the benefit of the EVF which works well after an optical finder becomes useless so you can manually focus in ridiculously dark conditions with the E-M1.

Olympus in Japan tell me that their own field tests indicate the E-M1 is better than an E-5 in C-AF for applications like BIF. I am not a BIF expert but Andy Elliot, who is, and uses an E-5, is so far impressed with his limited time on my own E-M1 using his lenses. Panning and motorcycle racing - I haven't tried this and some are not optimistic because of the EVF freezing in C-AF mode, but Olympus tells me that this is not so different from optical viewfinder blanking as the mirror flaps. We'll find out the truth as more people use the camera for things like panning.

There is little firm data to support whether there is a real improvement for C-AF on M4/3 lenses, particularly with the lack of cross-type PDAF points.
                  Of this there is absolutely no doubt - C-AF with Micro Four Thirds lenses until now was pretty hopeless unless the subject was fairly still in the frame. BIF, for example was almost impossible. PDAF in C-AF mode with MFT lenses is hugely superior.

The lack of cross type AF points is only a problem if you are focusing on regular horizontal detail, like venetian blinds. It is not a problem if you have amorphous details and that's mostly what you have with nature photography, for example.

Is anyone prepared to say if the E-M1 is anywhere near as good as an entry level DSLR, or comparable to say a D7100, for BIF or action photography in general?
                  The word I had from Akira Watanabe at Olympus in Japan is that their field tests showed the C-AF performance was similar to a Nikon D7100.

Ian
                  Founder and editor of:
                  Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                  Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                  Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                  Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                  NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                  sigpic

Comment

In my very limited experience of using the camera with my Leica 14-150mm at Rutland I can definitely say that it is as good if not better at low light AF as the E5.

David
                    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

It's all subjective and relative. The E-M1 can focus well with Four Thirds lenses in very low light - dark enough for the view through an E-5's optical reflex viewfinder to be very dim indeed. But, yes, my experience is that the an E-5 will continue to focus after the E-M1 gives up as the light gets dimmer. Is it a deal-breaker? - not at all. Micro Four Thirds lenses on the EM-1 focus in even darker light than an E-5. You also have the benefit of the EVF which works well after an optical finder becomes useless so you can manually focus in ridiculously dark conditions with the E-M1.

Olympus in Japan tell me that their own field tests indicate the E-M1 is better than an E-5 in C-AF for applications like BIF. I am not a BIF expert but Andy Elliot, who is, and uses an E-5, is so far impressed with his limited time on my own E-M1 using his lenses. Panning and motorcycle racing - I haven't tried this and some are not optimistic because of the EVF freezing in C-AF mode, but Olympus tells me that this is not so different from optical viewfinder blanking as the mirror flaps. We'll find out the truth as more people use the camera for things like panning.

Of this there is absolutely no doubt - C-AF with Micro Four Thirds lenses until now was pretty hopeless unless the subject was fairly still in the frame. BIF, for example was almost impossible. PDAF in C-AF mode with MFT lenses is hugely superior.

The lack of cross type AF points is only a problem if you are focusing on regular horizontal detail, like venetian blinds. It is not a problem if you have amorphous details and that's mostly what you have with nature photography, for example.

The word I had from Akira Watanabe at Olympus in Japan is that their field tests showed the C-AF performance was similar to a Nikon D7100.

Ian
                      Many thanks, Ian, for answering my questions so reassuringly

Much appreciated!
                      Paul

Comment

Why not get some professional sports photographers to test out the new camera on that event with both FT glass and MFT glass.
                        I am one of those thinking the em1 isn't for me BUT I bet a pound to a pinch of anything that a pro photographer would tease superb images from an EM1.

Unfortunately i want a two body set up (in reality I can never be arsed to change lenses all the time). Size, ovf v evf, grips etc. etc. are pretty irrelevant to me. I have hobbled my choices by investing in d800 imo the prosumer camera capable of the best images around ( emphasis on capable).

Image quality and ergonomics are the deal breakers I bet the EM1 will have those in spades.

What it doesn't give me is price v performance (it may do that if i was ditching the D800 and going for a two mft solution but low light is the clincher there) for a second body hence my for sale thread.

I have seriously considered an em1 and e5 set up. I get more"keepers" from my E5 THAN i DO MY d800.

Apart from low light, unless you print larger than A3 the E5 is awesome.
                        hearts at peace under an English heaven

Comment

Working...
                        X