E-M1 ii with 4/3rds lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M1 ii with 4/3rds lenses

Hi,I have a few old but good 4/3rds lenses and was wondering how good the AF is on the E-M1 ii using 4/3rds lenses on it. I have a 50 F2 macro, 50-200 SWD, 12-60, 14-54 F2.8 (probably will sell this), Sigma 105 Macro and a 70-300.

My Panasonic G9 hesitates a bit but the manual focus is good and fairly easy.

My old E-M1 was not bad but is the Mark ii faster?

Thanks, Mal.

Re: E-M1 ii with 4/3rds lenses

The Mk II will potentially be better than the Mk I. Ultimately it depends on the speed of the lens's focus motor. The 50 f2 will be slow, slow, slow. That's the nature of the beast but focus speed apart it's fabulous lens. Your 2 SWD lenses will focus fastest.
    Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

As you'll see from my signature below, I have quite a few old 4/3 lenses. I also have both an Olympus OM-D E-M1 (Mk I) and an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II (amongst others).

The PDAF on the Mk II is quite a bit more advanced than on the Mk I. The 4/3 lenses work "OK" on the Mk I, but work perfectably acceptably on the Mk II. I don't remember them working any better on my old E-3. So yes, there is a distinct and very noticeable improvement.

Aussie Mark (Pandora) might be able to add some of his observations. - As far as I know, the 12-60mm SWD lens works so well on his E-M1 Mk II that it has now become his "go to" lens, as it was on his E-3.
      Larry

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
      Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH

Comment

I use several of the old 4/3 lenses on the E-M1 Mk II without problems, mostly the big long ones. It is hard to compare these things but subjectively I think it focuses at least as well as, if not better than, the E-1/3/5. Mind you, I thought the E-M1 Mk I was OK as well.

John

Comment

Thanks folks, sounds like the II would be pretty good if it's as least as good as the E-3.

Mal

Comment

I have just aquired a 50-200swd and a 12-60 f2.8 plus mmf.3 adaptor and on my mkii with firmware update I’m totally blown away by the performance .. and even just bought a EC.14 to go with the 50-200 ( that did need a bit of MA though) been practising on b.i.f and no problem locking on at all even with the t.c

Comment

I have the MK1 and MK2 and the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD. The AF performance/responsiveness is good for all the combinations however I had to calibrate the AF for it to become accurate, all combinations were back-focusing.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

I have also been pondering the EC.20 .. but they appear to be as rare as hens teeth . Has anyone tried one with the 50-200 by any chance

Comment

There is a forum member with nickname "katran" who shared very nice photos taken using the 50-200 SWD + EC20. His recipe for success is to stop down to F/9.

https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthr...t=13640&page=4

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Some time ago I got an EC-20 from Ian here - ex-hire stock but it was in such good nick that I wonder if it had ever been used. I stuck it on the lovely 4/3 150mm f/2 and tried it for rugby on the E-M1 Mk I. I was pretty impressed by the results, and have a thread here about it:

https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39469

I never tried the EC-20 with the 50-200, but I did use the EC-14 / 50-200 combo a lot and was pleased with it.

John

Comment

Cheers there's a 150 F2 on Ebay at the moment and I had one when I had my E-3 (still have an E-3 never used come to that).

I am curious about the 150 F2 now as it was so unique if a little large but easy to hand-hold....

Comment

I tried the EC20 with the 50-200 but was never really happy with it. On the other hand the EC14 went well. I still have the EC14 to use with my sole remaining FT lens the 150/2.8 Sigma macro. In the early days of this forum most of the good wildlife photos were taken with the 50-200.
                        David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Working...
                        X