Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Portugal servicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portugal servicing

Just got one of my M1ii bodies back from the Oly Portugal centre after a full check & clean.

It was coming up to the end of its standard 3 year warranty (I don't have any of the Pro service options) and had been used in a lot of very dusty environments (e.g. days and days in the back of open game drive vehicles). I'd noticed the rear control (thumb) wheel and the mode dial had been intermittently slightly gritty over the past year, which hadn't been improved by annual free NEC Photography Show cleans. I hadn't noticed anything else wrong, but I thought a checkup and deep clean would be sensible before it went out of warranty.

I used the myOlympus online system to book the repair, which is reasonably straightforward although some of the pages take ages to load. It went off 2.5 weeks ago and I got email updates.

DHL delivered today, and I'm happy to say my named engineer had cleaned and checked everything, 'repaired' both the mode dial and the rear control dial, replaced the grip rubber (which was a little worn, but certainly not coming away) and replaced the missing circular connector cover. Both dials are now as firm and smooth as new.

All for no charge.

My second body's going off today.
    Regards,
    Mark

------------------------------
    http://www.microcontrast.com
    Too much Oly gear.
    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Re: Portugal servicing

I have used the Portugal service for two major repairs (one was to replace a smashed front element on the 7-14 Pro, the other complete IBIS failure on the original E-M1). Each time the service has been fast and accurate.

Comment

I have used the Portugal repair service three times and had absolutely superb service every time. They arrange collection from your door and prompt delivery and keep you informed regularly by email or text. Very quick and very efficient.

Steve
      Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
      Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
      My website

Comment

I have been a (too) frequent user of the Portugal repair service mainly due to clumsiness/stupidity/accidents over the years and have always found it fast, professional and fairly priced. I highly recommend it.
        Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
        Flickr

Comment

I have found the repair service (12-40mm lens intermitant sticking at 40mm and sounding loose and floppy inside) fast and fair. However I find "fixed" is not an adequate enough description to let me know what was wrong and which bit was replaced/repaired/cleaned. I would have liked their own professional assessment of what was wrong in the first place (rather than my meandering description of the symtoms rather than the fault itself). They definitely fixed the "sticking at 40mm" but not sure about the "loose and floppy" as it still seems the same - I would like to have known if this was normal (i.e. in tolerance) or if they did indeed do something about it.
          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
          Learn something new every day

Comment

Over the course of years I have sent three pieces of equipment to Portugal for repair: Sticky shutter on E-M5, broken iris on 12-60 and dysfunctional rear wheel on E-m1. All repairs to full satisfaction, reasonable cost and roundtrip less than 2 weeks.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

My Camera show purchase is just coming up to the end of it's warranty, so off it's gone for yet another grip replacement and service...

Thanks for reminding me to do it!
              I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I got my 2nd body back on Friday - just a clean & check & replacement of my lost connector cover for this one, which is around 6 months newer than the first and has had quite a lot less use. Again, the rear thumb dial feels AOK now.

Brilliant service, Oly, all for no charge!

Oh, yes, forgot to mention: the first one came back with all settings intact, while the second had been reset to factory spec. Neither needed any updating, but the second was quickly restored to my preferences from settings stored on my desktop, so it's a good idea to make sure you've done this before shipping.
                Regards,
                Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

DHL have just delivered mine back too...

Box was squashed so the DHL man had to stand and wait for me to unpack it before accepting it back...

All is fine though settings back to factory defaults, but as you say a quick job to restore!

It went back because the rubber grips were coming off... for the second time! I got it out of the packaging and thought it was a new one - it's THAT clean now! Then I found all the rubbed off paint and scratches!

I feel a little bit guilty as I always take all the loose bits off when returning a camera for repair... they've replaced them all!

Comment

How does out of warranty repairs work? You all say they use DHL, do they collect free and then add any charges to final total bill?

Comment

Mine were both within the 3-year warranty periods (just) and they generate a shipping label for you to print when they accept the 'repair', so you fasten that to the outside of the package and take it to the PO. No charge either way.

I've never noticed any grip loss on a digital Oly, but the more-used body must have met their standard for replacement. The last time I had grip separation was on my original OM-1 back in the late 1970s! As I recall Luton Cameras fixed that gratis when it went in for repair after I'd cracked the viewfinder chucking it down the side of Helvellyn...

I've always removed the front connector caps from my bodies (since they don't affect waterproofing and I never use the socket) so I've got a little packet of spares now, so I might as well leave these new ones in place!
                      Regards,
                      Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                        How does out of warranty repairs work? You all say they use DHL, do they collect free and then add any charges to final total bill?
                        I will be sending a lens for cleaning/repair soon which is out of warranty so will let you know - at the moment I have no eye deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                          I will be sending a lens for cleaning/repair soon which is out of warranty so will let you know - at the moment I have no eye deer!

Comment

Went out today having got my body back and took several photos...

They were all out of focus

Then I viewed them on the rear screen instead of through the viewfinder.. They were fine, so I adjusted the eyepiece and hey presto all was OK..

Schoolboy error?

Comment

Working...
                            X