Version 3 Stacking improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 3 Stacking improvement

V3 firmware brought an increase from 8 to 15 exposures when using in-camera focus stacking. I found this enhancement very useful when photographing a very 3-dimensional Toad Lily (Tricyrtis) flower.

For these photos, I used my 60mm macro lens, set to an aperture of f/8 and with 15 focus steps at a step interval set to 3. I used an LED ring light, with a natural-light background of my garden. The exposure reading was 1/20s, ISO 800.

Another advantage of the V3 firmware was a steady viewfinder image when using the LED light. Previously, there had been obvious flicker that now appears to be suppressed.

Mike
    visit my Natural History Photos website:
    http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Re: Version 3 Stacking improvement

Lovely photos Mike, super sharp and detailed.

Do you use a tripod with stacking? I don't and often the camera won't complete the stacking Then I have to use PS to complete. Just don't like carrying a tripod...lazy...
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I usually use a tripod for this type of photography. I find that I need to have the camera fixed, while I manoeuvre the subject, to get the angle and the lighting as I want them. I often place the subject on a table in front of patio doors into the garden, which I use as a backdrop.

I prefer to use a wider aperture than f/8 when possible but, sometimes, I need to cover greater depth in the subject - the larger number of steps available in V3 firmware is a real asset. The sharpness of the 60mm macro is stunning when wide open.
      I don't like lugging a tripod either so, for garden plants I bring them into my indoor set-up. Sometimes, however, I do use stacking 'in the field', where I use a monopod to keep the camera steady (it also serves as a walking stick for me!). Subject movement is a big problem outdoors, if there's any wind about, as it leads to 'fringes' on the image, when stacking.
      Mike
      visit my Natural History Photos website:
      http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Those are cracking images MikeOxon..Well Done. Mine is set on 6 images so I think it time I tried 10.

Comment

Working...
        X