Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Extended Warranties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Warranties

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Comment

Andy
        bengeo.com

Comment

Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Re: Extended Warranties

I had quite a lot of trouble with my E-M1 Mk.i so was very pleased to receive a 3-year extension as part of the deal when I bought my Mk.ii.

I sincerely hope that the Mk.ii incorporates lessons learned from the earlier version because I felt that the faults I experienced ruled the earlier camera out as a 'professional' tool (strap-lug failure, lens contacts, and shutter failure)
            Mike
            visit my Natural History Photos website:
            http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

If it has worked fine for 3 years it will probably carry on for another 3 or more. The only caveat I would make is if your mechanical shutter count is up to near the quoted max figure then maybe think about it.

Electronics just carry on they don't wear out. If you drop it or mistreat it then that's not covered by warranty anyway.

I remember 30 years ago shops were more interested in selling the extended warranty for washing machines and other home appliances than actually selling the product itself. My wife actually walked out of a shop after trying to buy a new washing machine and them insisting on her paying an extra amount for the extended warranty. They just would not sell it without the extra warranty; their loss.

She bought the same model elsewhere without extended warranty and it worked fine for about 5 years doing the washing for our family with two kids before the motor burnt out.

We then got a replacement again with the standard warranty.
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                I had quite a lot of trouble with my E-M1 Mk.i so was very pleased to receive a 3-year extension as part of the deal when I bought my Mk.ii.

I sincerely hope that the Mk.ii incorporates lessons learned from the earlier version because I felt that the faults I experienced ruled the earlier camera out as a 'professional' tool (strap-lug failure, lens contacts, and shutter failure)

Comment

But they did learn. Since then both the Pen-F and the E-M1 II have proved extremely reliable. No dial problems, no strap lug problems, no power switch problems.

Comment

It also depends on when the next model or version comes out and whether you will buy it or be tempted to buy the new one before the extended warranty on the previous version has run out. You must remember the the next version will have features and functions that you cannot live without :honest:
                    This space for rent

Comment

It all depends on whether you can afford the unlikely repair or not. There’s no doubt that selling the warranty is hugely profitable for them, which means it’s an overly expensive purchase for the expected value you would receive. Remember you’re more likely to be replacing a damaged E-M1.2 with a used one in the future rather than paying the repair costs as the prices keep dropping.

I’ve never paid for warranties, to the point of buying lots of grey market and used kit, and been okay with my out-of-pocket repair costs.

But only you can compare the cost of the warranty with the risk of the repair.
                      Instagram: TheBassmanBlog
                      My Blog: TheBassmanBlog.com
                      My Pictures: abbeyworks.smugmug.com

Comment

I bought the extended warranty for both of our E-M1 II bodies.

Mine has been to Portugal twice to have the rubber grip repaired, Anita’s has not required a repair as yet.

Looking at the cost of repairs, I made the decision that the extended warranty was worth the additional cost.

Dave

Comment

One major advantage of the warranties is that it gets you the rapid turnround service from collection to shipment to repair centre and then directly back to the chosen return address be it your home / office / drop box.
                          If you are on your own you have to set up the shipment perhaps via a collection centre somewhere and then shipped to the service point.

The next issue will be after Brexit how will we be able to use the service centres in the EU without paying import duty and on the value of the goods or the value of the work carried out on the camera. A warranty will put the onus on the service provider to resolve these type of issues.
                          This space for rent

Comment

Thanks all for the comments...

Gives me food for thought over the next few weeks before I need to decide!
                            I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                              One major advantage of the warranties is that it gets you the rapid turnround service from collection to shipment to repair centre and then directly back to the chosen return address be it your home / office / drop box.
                              If you are on your own you have to set up the shipment perhaps via a collection centre somewhere and then shipped to the service point.
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/macg33zr/

Comment

Working...
                              X