Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
    Paul - have you got before/after upgrade shots to prove this? I'm somewhat sceptical TBH. Someone over on mu43 said he shot ISO 6400 raw images of the inside of his airing cupboard (!) both before and after and found no difference.

If there is a difference and it's due to non-defeatable NR then I'll be somewhat concerned.

SOOC 100% crops (I hope)

Both at ISO 6400, the image is sharper due to better focussing I guess, rather than noise reduction, the OOF noise is similar on both, I've probably mistakenly seen this as less noisy...

EDIT: The LH image is also moving, so there is some motion blur as the camera was static.
    I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post

SOOC 100% crops (I hope)

Both at ISO 6400, the image is sharper due to better focussing I guess, rather than noise reduction, the OOF noise is similar on both, I've probably mistakenly seen this as less noisy...
      Noise levels look pretty much the same to me, although at a push I'd say the bottom one has a touch nicer grain pattern, but it's very slight.
      Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Comment

• Regards,
        Mark

------------------------------
        http://www.microcontrast.com
        Too much Oly gear.
        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

For me, an important change is the ability to select the number of frames (up to 15) when using the stacking feature for macro photography. I have found that the previous restriction to 8 frames tended to make me choose larger focus steps than desirable for my flower photography.

It's worth reading the manual because some of the changes are not immediately obvious. For example the AF+MF options on the SCP seemed to have disappeared until I found that these now need to be turned on in a separate menu item!

I also note that "When editing RAW data in the Olympus Workspace (Ver. 1.1 or later), high-speed processing using the camera engine has been enabled. When you connect the USB cable to the camera, select [PC RAW] on the destination selection screen." If this speeds up RAW processing, it will be a welcome improvement.
          Mike
          visit my Natural History Photos website:
          http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

In case you haven't noticed, in addition to the v3 firmware changes documented in the latest version of the User Manual (page 196 onwards), Olympus have shuffled around some of the Settings Menu structure.
            e.g. Cog A3 is renamed as Cog A4 and what has now become A3 has contents previously found in A1 & A2. There are other lesser changes.
            Chris

Comment

I found that, although I turn off both the touch screen and eye detection on the viewfinder, these were both turned on after the firmware upgrade.
              Mike
              visit my Natural History Photos website:
              http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                It's worth reading the manual because some of the changes are not immediately obvious. For example the AF+MF options on the SCP seemed to have disappeared until I found that these now need to be turned on in a separate menu item!
                I discovered this today, too.

I'm not sure why Olympus have done this... I quite liked having S-AF and S-AF+MF accessible quickly from the AF setting menu via a single button press rather than having to dig through the menus.

I also wish that the touch screen settings were held in the custom modes. I usually turn this off and so always have to do so again after an update but I could see it being useful in some circumstances so having it saved would be good.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                  I found that, although I turn off both the touch screen and eye detection on the viewfinder, these were both turned on after the firmware upgrade.
                  The Menu Directory (starting on p203 of the new manual) shows what settings are assigned to custom modes and those that are restored to their default values after a full reset (ie after updating firmware, as an example).

The two settings you mention are shown not to be stored in custom settings and to be set to default after a reset.
                  Steve

Comment

Made the update em1x omd mkII 40/150 pro and 300f4 pro all seems ok .
                    Rob.

Comment

Updated EM1X successfully. Took a little longer than I recall for the 1 Mk 2. Also, make sure battery 1 is fully charged since mine ran out and connection to camera was lost. Luckily no issues after restarting the process.

Tim

Comment

M1ii update successfully with no problems, thanks to all the advice from here. Just need to go out and give it a whirl now, although threatened thunderstorms may just delay things .

Comment

Just seen a demo of that on Youtube. This must be one of the most significant upgrades to any digital camera. Erm, ever!

Comment

Guess who has an air show in his town and cannot find the lead to download the latest upgrade! I can find just about any other type of lead for phones and printers even the old Olympus cameras but not my mkii.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                            Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Internaut View Post
                              Just seen a demo of that on Youtube. This must be one of the most significant upgrades to any digital camera. Erm, ever!
                              I give credit to Olympus for adding this but it's not something that I can see myself using tbh. File transfer is slow and I find it much quicker (and easier imo) to plug a card reader into my phone or iPad and transfer the files this way
                              Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                                Guess who has an air show in his town and cannot find the lead to download the latest upgrade! I can find just about any other type of lead for phones and printers even the old Olympus cameras but not my mkii.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X