v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Just looked at my little Laowa 7.5mm lens - it's manual and has no electronic connections at all, so the optics are even better than I thought!
    I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
      I wonder how they've improved the noise output.
      I suppose it would be best if this was checked blind (so to speak), and also checked that it hasn't occurred at the expense of detail, micro contrast etc.

I'm certainly not volunteering, although one way might be to see how bodies with the updated firmware perform in Bill Claff's photonstopixels tests.

Anyway, updating 2 bodies and 2 lenses went well for me via an updated Workspace, and I'm already enjoying the much more sensible EVF-rear screen auto-switching, which will be a real benefit when I'm doing street photography.

There does seem to be a lot of updating problems reported on various Facebook Groups today. In case anyone's looking for a list of things to be sure of when doing an update, here's a list I slightly adapted from the Sony dpreview forums: A7-series bodies used to have an awful reputation for getting bricked during updates, and Brian Smith put together a version of this:

"Before starting every update (of any manufacturer's camera): don’t start if your internet access is in any way unreliable, or power cuts are happening etc; reboot your computer; fully charged camera battery; update Updater/Workspace first - Workspace is the one to use if you've got it; use a USB socket on the system unit not via a hub etc; use the original Oly cable and make sure it's plugged in securely to both camera and system unit socket; remove camera SD card(s); don’t be in a hurry - follow the onscreen instructions obsessively every time, even if you're updating a series of items.

Removing the SD cards speeds things up, and probably makes it less likely you'll get frustrated and interrupt the process too soon. Reloading settings seems to be the commonest thing to get interrupted too early: this doesn't apparently cause fatal problems, but it is irritating to have to reset everything manually"

Hope someone finds that useful.
      Regards,
      Mark

------------------------------
      http://www.microcontrast.com
      Too much Oly gear.
      Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
      Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
        Reloading settings seems to be the commonest thing to get interrupted too early: this doesn't apparently cause fatal problems, but it is irritating to have to reset everything manually"

Hope someone finds that useful.
        This isn't a total disaster though, as the operation writes a MYSET file which can be manually re-loaded.
        I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
          steve - words mean what most people agree them to mean. There's no prizes for sticking to a definition that no-one else shares. Every single reference i can find on the internet defines firmware as software. Your definition does not fit a definition that the rest of the world would accept.
          wtf!

------
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Ah! The fog is starting to lift Thanks for that I'd wondered how people were able to comment on the "poor quality of M4/3 lenses which MUST HVAE software correction - unlike a 'proper lens'" I always assumed it was all done in camera as that was the easiest place to do it...

I wonder how they've improved the noise output.

The M43 design is very clever, making use of processing to allow lenses to have specific designed-in errors which can be corrected without the user knowing. This allows the design of lenses that are better, smaller, and lighter, because they don't need to worry about getting perfect linearity and zero vignetting. Instead they can better optimise the optical design to get better image quality. People who think the M43 lenses are bad because of this have usually not had the concept explained to them.

Comment

https://www.maketecheasier.com/firmware-vs-software/
              Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Comment

I was trying to avoid this argument but I thought I might help by giving you the entry from the full version of the famous Oxford English Dictionary.

firmware Computing.

(ˈfɜːmwɛə(r))

[f. firm a., after software.]

A permanent form of software built into certain kinds of computer.

1968 World Bk. Year Bk. 274/2 Efforts were also made to transfer some of the functions of software‥to small high-speed memories which could operate as ‘assistants’ to computer processing circuitry.‥ This function‥was given the new label ‘firmware’. 1971 New Scientist 7 Jan. 27/1 A modular construction‥to which is added the right hardware and firmware for the particular job, allows the user to buy a computer that has exactly the capacity he needs. 1977 C. J. Sippl Microcomputer Handbk. vii. 294 Massive libraries of programs developed on cards, blocks, strips, boards‥are available.‥ They are called ‘firmware’ because they are software made ‘firm’ by being electronically fixed or burned into ROM chips. 1980 Sci. Amer. July 90/3 (Advt.), The system's firmware relieves the user from having to write application routines to utilize the graphic capability. 1985 Listener 9 May 35/1 It must have on-board computer power and programming software incorporated at the time of manufacture as ‘firmware’.

Comment

First day using the updates. Seems to work well, I think that the 300mm pro appears to focus better than before.

Unsure of the bells and whistles, but like the ability to delete a bank of photos easily, you know the ones that bracketing failed to work on, is good.

Yet to try the low ISO settings. Did play with the focus in low light last evening, that certainly seems to be an improvement. (Not a side by side comparison)

A reborn Mk ii ………………...very happy with the beast...………..

Thanks Olympus...…………...
                  Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Noise definitely is better with the new firmware, so there must be some post processing going on in the camera before the RAW file is written
                    Paul - have you got before/after upgrade shots to prove this? I'm somewhat sceptical TBH. Someone over on mu43 said he shot ISO 6400 raw images of the inside of his airing cupboard (!) both before and after and found no difference.

If there is a difference and it's due to non-defeatable NR then I'll be somewhat concerned.
                    Paul
                    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                    flickr
                    Portfolio Site
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                      wtf!

------
                      Nice - thanks Steve.
                      Paul
                      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                      flickr
                      Portfolio Site
                      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by snerkler View Post
                        ............ Can you confirm whether you still can't use the EVF whilst the screen is flipped out?

According to the manual "Even while the monitor is in the open position, the camera uses the eye sensor to automatically switch between the monitor and viewfinder displays." I haven't had a chance to try this for myself yet, though.
                        Mike
                        visit my Natural History Photos website:
                        http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                          According to the manual "Even while the monitor is in the open position, the camera uses the eye sensor to automatically switch between the monitor and viewfinder displays." I haven't had a chance to try this for myself yet, though.
                          It works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                            Yep already confirmed by myself and others that it now works

I really need to download this new manual.
                            Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by snerkler View Post
                              Yep already confirmed by myself and others that it now works

I really need to download this new manual.
                              Here is the PDF E-M1 II Version III Manual link here for you added "While You Were Sleeping".
                              Ross
                              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                                Thanks very much. I feel incredibly lazy now

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X