Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
      500 lines without bugs - dream on. I'd put it at fewer than 50 lines. Maybe 5 for the incompetents. But so what? Software dev is about an engineering practice that extends beyond coding. It's patently true that developing successful software is not just possible, but is evidenced by pretty well everything you touch in everyday life. Sure there are the occasional bugs that creep into production - but that's true of any human endeavour. In the camera world, we don't need to look far to find hardware bugs - the Nikon D600 oily shutter springs immediately to mind.

As to firmware, I don't see the need to split hairs here. It's clear that it applies to the software that's installed in the solid state memory of the camera and that the software matters enormously to the features, performance and usability of those cameras. That's all that matters. I don't do BIF either, but many do and the software makes a huge difference to the ease of doing it. I see no problem with that at all.
      Firmware refer to code used to configure an uncommitted logic array, eg the FPGA. Software refers to the stored machine code to be executed by a computer. That's why the word 'FIRMware' was coined. Simple isn't it!
      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
        Firmware refer to code used to configure an uncommitted logic array, eg the FPGA. Software refers to the stored machine code to be executed by a computer. That's why the word 'FIRMware' was coined. Simple isn't it!
        I wish it were that simple these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by snerkler View Post
          I do this a lot shooting motorsport tbh. I like slow shutter pans and when you're down at circa 1/25 you need ISO 64 to keep the aperture wide enough to prevent diffraction, and also 'hide' the fencing if you're at a track with a lot of catch fencing, and that's even with ND filters
          Good point. Perhaps this is why the default is Drive Priority, which is what you need.
          We need some examples with both settings.

Comment

Used Oly camera updater & all went well.Much tighter C-AF with new mods,very noticeable on C-AF all points, as it goes into 9point centre priority which is good for BIF.The AF-MF auto very useful for me. Still cant use C-AF on pro-capture or low sequence in this mode using P/L 100/400lens which is disappointing. Battery life to be checked first full day shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
              Good point. Perhaps this is why the default is Drive Priority, which is what you need.
              We need some examples with both settings.
              I've still not looked into it yet tbh, I've still not looked to find the setting
              Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Russ View Post
                Well, Thanks to you lot I updated the Firmware...It reset my C1 & C2. Grrrr! I'm new to this camera n not got a clue how to get it back to how it was. My memory in me head not so good. Anyway, to fill you in--My battery was going to 0% after 183 shots or less using C-AF on custom 1....Today I just set my 'A' aperture priority on S-AF and put back in the battery that originally took 183, Well lo n behold, I took 323 images. Was it the firmware or does this Om1 mk2 of mine not like C-AF for Birding/Sports. I use BBF. If anyone has a set of easy to follow settings for BBF.C-AF for Birding Sports Please do Tell. Thank You.
                I pulled this from another forum when I first got my mkii. Hope it helps - at least as a starting point:

Custom Menu/gears, Menu AF/MF, AEL/AFL, C-AF to Mode 4 - makes the AEL/AFL button for focusing and not the shutter button

Custom Menu/gears, Menu C Release, Rls Priority C - On - this allows the shutter to release even if focus is not locked

Custom Menu/gears, Menu C Release, Rls with IS - On - IS turns on when the shutter button is pressed halfway

USE: Press and hold the AEL/AFL button while following your subject, press the shutter button to take the shot you want (C-AF)
                or
                Press and hold the AEL/AFL button until focused is locked, and then release it. Fire away until you need to change focus. (S-AF)

Comment

One oddity with the update... at least I hadn't noticed it before... I use the rear screen to show the super control panel, and today I realised that it was saying Y/M/D at the top left. Sure enough I needed to reset the time and date in the menu to correct this. Presumably the update post the previous settings as I haven't let the battery run down.

Chris
                  Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Originally posted by CJJE View Post
                    One oddity with the update... at least I hadn't noticed it before... I use the rear screen to show the super control panel, and today I realised that it was saying Y/M/D at the top left. Sure enough I needed to reset the time and date in the menu to correct this. Presumably the update post the previous settings as I haven't let the battery run down.

Chris
                    Ross
                    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

• Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                      Steve - words mean what most people agree them to mean. There's no prizes for sticking to a definition that no-one else shares. Every single reference I can find on the internet defines firmware as software. Your definition does not fit a definition that the rest of the world would accept.
                      Paul
                      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                      flickr
                      Portfolio Site
                      Instagram

Comment

Agree, that format is a bit strange and more subject for error/misintepretation. ISO format YYYY-MM-DD cannot be misread.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Well I've spent the afternoon trying out the new firmware (rather than worrying whether it's embedded software or not) and although I've not got much to show for it - I took some deliberately ropey photos to push into the areas the MKi would have failed and the previous firmware would have struggled.

I think my view* is that the photos are coming out of the camera as RAW files a little sharper and I believe that once the camera has got a focus lock it is somehow more accurate, I'm getting less soft focus issues, I'm not 100% sure but although it's not mentioned the stabilisation may be a tadge better too, I seem to have got less motion blur on still photos, not sure whether that's the more accurate focussing or my imagination!

Noise definitely is better with the new firmware, so there must be some post processing going on in the camera before the RAW file is written - my brother got quite irate about the fact that the lens correction is done like this rather than being done in post process "it's NOT a genuine RAW file then" - I shrugged as I'm happy with the output and it really isn't important to me where the processing is done.

I'll do a reply to myself with some sample images on so you can judge for yourself.

*a bit vague as it's subject to change!
                          I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I deliberately got some tall grass in the way here and the camera stayed with the birds past it.

A shot the MKi would never have got as there's too much background going on, the camera seems to have locked on quite well.

I tried my best to keep the bird off centre towards the edge of the focus area (5*5 set) and it seems to have got the closest part of the bird each time, so another tick

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                              Noise definitely is better with the new firmware, so there must be some post processing going on in the camera before the RAW file is written - my brother got quite irate about the fact that the lens correction is done like this rather than being done in post process "it's NOT a genuine RAW file then" - I shrugged as I'm happy with the output and it really isn't important to me where the processing is done.
                              You can explain to your brother that lens correction to RAW files is NOT done in the camera, the RAW files really are RAW. I can understand why he jumped to the conclusion that it is done in the camera, but it isn't.

The explanation is as follows.
                              1. The M43 standard specifies that the lenses should contain a chip with data about themselves. This includes what the lens is, and importantly what the lens corrections should be, including barrel distortion and vignetting. The standard also mandates that all M43 cameras and post processing programs must read that data and apply it completely automatically.

2. That data from the chip in the lens is stored in the RAW file when the camera writes it.

3. All M43 cameras also use the data, so JPGs in the camera are corrected.

4. All good post proccessing programs do it too. For example Lightroom, and ACR in Photoshop do it, and it isn't an option, it just happens. If you specify lens corrections in those programs, those will be done in addition to the automatic corrections.

5. There is some software that deliberately does not do the automatic corrections, allowing some people to do exactly what they want. If you use it to take a file, such as from the Oly 7-14 Pro used at 7mm, you will then see lots of barrel distortion, showing that the RAW file really is raw. But if you look at that RAW file in Lightroom, or Photoshop, setting no adjustments, you will see it undistorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
                                You can explain to your brother that lens correction to RAW files is NOT done in the camera, the RAW files really are RAW. I can understand why he jumped to the conclusion that it is done in the camera, but it isn't.

The explanation is as follows.
                                1. The M43 standard specifies that the lenses should contain a chip with data about themselves. This includes what the lens is, and importantly what the lens corrections should be, including barrel distortion and vignetting. The standard also mandates that all M43 cameras and post processing programs must read that data and apply it completely automatically.

2. That data from the chip in the lens is stored in the RAW file when the camera writes it.

3. All M43 cameras also use the data, so JPGs in the camera are corrected.

4. All good post proccessing programs do it too. For example Lightroom, and ACR in Photoshop do it, and it isn't an option, it just happens. If you specify lens corrections in those programs, those will be done in addition to the automatic corrections.

5. There is some software that deliberately does not do the automatic corrections, allowing some people to do exactly what they want. If you use it to take a file, such as from the Oly 7-14 Pro used at 7mm, you will then see lots of barrel distortion, showing that the RAW file really is raw. But if you look at that RAW file in Lightroom, or Photoshop, setting no adjustments, you will see it undistorted.
                                Ah! The fog is starting to lift Thanks for that I'd wondered how people were able to comment on the "poor quality of M4/3 lenses which MUST HVAE software correction - unlike a 'proper lens'" I always assumed it was all done in camera as that was the easiest place to do it...

I wonder how they've improved the noise output.

Comment

Working...
                                X