v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Well, when I bought my second hand body, a few short weeks back, I had no expectation that Olympus would improve it this significantly. I look forward to trying it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
      If you were sitting on an Airbus Axxx and an announcement came over the tannoy that the software had been updated, just as quick, would you a) sit there and think nice things about the flight ahead, maybe order a 1/3 bottle of wine with your meal, or b) head to the nearest escape exit pdq (assuming you were still on the ground, at the stand)?!
      Option (a)!
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
        Despite my criticism of the Centre Priority setting I tried a few shots of passing gulls and they seemed to work pretty well. That was after I discovered that the update had changed my default shutter speed from 1/2000 to 1/250 sec (I wondered why they were blurred.) It is really good to have the 5x5 point AF point option available now.

Ron
        Yes, the update sets f5.6 (A & M) and 1/250 sec (S & M) into any custom settings you've got. This was a bug that was fixed some time ago - we've regressed! Minor point though, so I'm not bitching about it too much
        Paul
        flickr
        Portfolio Site
        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Russ View Post
          Well, Thanks to you lot I updated the Firmware...It reset my C1 & C2. Grrrr! I'm new to this camera n not got a clue how to get it back to how it was. My memory in me head not so good. Anyway, to fill you in--My battery was going to 0% after 183 shots or less using C-AF on custom 1....Today I just set my 'A' aperture priority on S-AF and put back in the battery that originally took 183, Well lo n behold, I took 323 images. Was it the firmware or does this Om1 mk2 of mine not like C-AF for Birding/Sports. I use BBF. If anyone has a set of easy to follow settings for BBF.C-AF for Birding Sports Please do Tell. Thank You.
          Battery life is very little to do with the number of shots taken. It's primarily driven by how long the camera is turned on. I've shots thousands on some occasions and low hundreds on others.
          Paul
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-tE...ature=youtu.be
            Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
              It's the same - just that firmware is software installed in a EEPROM (or similar).
              I associate firmware with FPGAs and software with the Neumann style computer. This is the common industry definition.

Uncommitted FPGAs are configured at power on reset using the firmware stored in ROM, typically an EEPROM. Remember of course that EEPROMs need refreshing, charge storage is approx 10 years.
              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Aargh. I’m not so good with computers and can’t open the updater software once I’ve downloaded it. It asks me what I want to open the file with?
                Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
                Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
                Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

I associate firmware with FPGAs and software with the Neumann style computer. This is the common industry definition.

Uncommitted FPGAs are configured at power on reset using the firmware stored in ROM, typically an EEPROM. Remember of course that EEPROMs need refreshing, charge storage is approx 10 years.
                  Hmmm - I think we could have a debate about that...

From Mirriam Webster dictionary:

Definition of firmware
                  : computer programs contained permanently in a hardware device (such as a read-only memory)
                  I wouldn't call FPGAs firmware - or if I did I'd say it's very low-level firmware.
                  Paul
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

Hmmm - I think we could have a debate about that...

From Mirriam Webster dictionary:

I wouldn't call FPGAs firmware - or if I did I'd say it's very low-level firmware.
                    No Mirium Webster is incorrect. FPGAs are uncommitted logic arrays configured at power-up reset by code stored in PROM. FPGAs can be complex and include DSPs (good for maths processing). The code for FPGAs is generally written in C or directly in Boolean expressions, then compiled.

Believe me, I worked with these things for years and years.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by RobEW View Post
                      I hear there's a feature to make the focus ring on the lens automatically switch to MF mode, so in effect all lenses have a clutch. This seems eminently sensible to me; the expected behaviour for someone brought up on SLRs before AF existed. Why else would you be using the focus ring if not to (manually) focus ?

Haven't applied the update myself yet ...

Install the update. Then this is how it works.
                      You turn on that function by going to menu A1 and it is the second line down. Turn it on.
                      Then in S-AF you get S-AF+MF, and in C-AF you get C-AF+MF.
                      The +MF means you can manually adjust at any time by turning the focus ring. Releasing the shutter button and half-pressing it again will restart the mode you were in before you started changing the focus manually.

Comment

Originally posted by cinders View Post
                        Aargh. I’m not so good with computers and can’t open the updater software once I’ve downloaded it. It asks me what I want to open the file with?
                        Cinders, you should be coming up with a programme that displays this....

To download it you might have to register etc with name and P/W...

I think it has been updated itself in the last several months......so you might have to download the latest version..
                        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Install Olympus Workspace and use that. The update function is on a menu to make it easy.

Comment

No Mirium Webster is incorrect. FPGAs are uncommitted logic arrays configured at power-up reset by code stored in PROM. FPGAs can be complex and include DSPs (good for maths processing). The code for FPGAs is generally written in C or directly in Boolean expressions, then compiled.

Believe me, I worked with these things for years and years.
                            OK, I'll accept that FGPAs are firmware then - if you'll accept that software (von Neuman style) in ROM is also firmware . I accept that they go about it in different ways, but both are about executing some logic rules to get a result. Whether that's a von Neuman approach or not is probably not material to whether it's "firmware". I think a reasonable view is that firmware refers to logic (algorithm or defined set of logical operations) stored in something that's relatively permanent (i.e. "firm").
                            Paul
                            flickr
                            Portfolio Site
                            Instagram

Comment

I not got a clue to what you mean RobEW lol I new to this OMD1 mk2 coming from 20 years of Canon gear. I use Auto Focus anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Russ View Post
                                Well, Thanks to you lot I updated the Firmware...It reset my C1 & C2. Grrrr! I'm new to this camera n not got a clue how to get it back to how it was. My memory in me head not so good. Anyway, to fill you in--My battery was going to 0% after 183 shots or less using C-AF on custom 1....Today I just set my 'A' aperture priority on S-AF and put back in the battery that originally took 183, Well lo n behold, I took 323 images. Was it the firmware or does this Om1 mk2 of mine not like C-AF for Birding/Sports. I use BBF. If anyone has a set of easy to follow settings for BBF.C-AF for Birding Sports Please do Tell. Thank You.
                                Originally posted by RobEW View Post
                                I hear there's a feature to make the focus ring on the lens automatically switch to MF mode, so in effect all lenses have a clutch. This seems eminently sensible to me; the expected behaviour for someone brought up on SLRs before AF existed. Why else would you be using the focus ring if not to (manually) focus ?

Haven't applied the update myself yet ...
                                Battery life is very little to do with the number of shots taken. It's primarily driven by how long the camera is turned on. I've shots thousands on some occasions and low hundreds on others.
                                Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Comment

Working...
                                X