Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Despite my criticism of the Centre Priority setting I tried a few shots of passing gulls and they seemed to work pretty well. That was after I discovered that the update had changed my default shutter speed from 1/2000 to 1/250 sec (I wondered why they were blurred.) It is really good to have the 5x5 point AF point option available now.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post

Ps Incidentally, are we talking software or firmware? You do appreciate the difference of course.
      It's the same - just that firmware is software installed in a EEPROM (or similar).
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by snerkler View Post
        Does anyone know what the low ISO processing (Detail Priority) actually is? Is it a combined image shooting mode like hi-res and therefore can only be used on a tripod and static subjects, otherwise I'm not sure how you can improve detail in an image purely by software?

Also, I like that they've reduced high ISO noise, I hope this is not just by adding NR though.
        I'm guessing that it's just some additional JPEG processing. I'd be amazed if raw noise is any different (unless they're doing a Fuji-esque non-defeatable NR in raw files - which I sincerely hope they're not!).
        Paul
        flickr
        Portfolio Site
        Instagram

Comment

RosTheFiddler...THANK YOU..Your instructions far easier to follow than the Olympus one. Duh!!...All Done thanks to you. Now to finnish off my testing of battery before sending into Olympus.

Comment

Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
            I have the new software installed. The EVF works perfectly with the screen flipped out. If you put your eye to it, the EVF works, when you remove your eye, the screen comes on.

Well worth reading the new manual, starting at page 196...

Additions/modifications by the fi rmware version 3.0
            Viewfinder and Monitor Displays
            Even while the monitor is in the open position, the camera uses the eye sensor to
            automatically switch between the monitor and viewfinder displays.
            Thanks for this. I have actually updated mine now and really pleased. They've implemented the two things that bugged me, ie not being able to use menus/review images when the card was being written to, and not being able to use EVF when the screen is out. The EM1-II is pretty much perfect now imo. Now if they good just fit in a FF sensor using the same size lenses
            Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Comment

Just updated mine. I see we're back to forcing f5.6 onto any custom modes that are assigned! Slightly annoying.
              Paul
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                Just updated mine. I see we're back to forcing f5.6 onto any custom modes that are assigned! Slightly annoying.
                I wondered why mine were at f5.6, I thought I must have set something wrong. I've set my sports and wildlife custom modes back to f2.8 and re-saved them and they're staying at f2.8.
                Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by snerkler View Post
                  I wondered why mine were at f5.6, I thought I must have set something wrong. I've set my sports and wildlife custom modes back to f2.8 and re-saved them and they're staying at f2.8.
                  They had fixed that! I have my C saved for S priority and 1/1000 for birds and 1/320 for prop planes... so have to go back and manually reset them.. but I guess it's better than having to start from factory settings every update.
                  I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                    Tut tut, and I thought your occupation was in the software business.

Axiom #1 Don't fix something if it is not broken.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Firmware update for a lens.... are there also instructions for that too?

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
                        Firmware update for a lens.... are there also instructions for that too?
                        I think the safest way is to run Olympus Workspace. Set it to check that it is running the latest version and then attach your camera with the appropriate lens in place. Get OW to check for camera updates and it should find them for the camera and lens. Follow the instructions and do not touch it while it is updating.

Ron

Comment

Well, Thanks to you lot I updated the Firmware...It reset my C1 & C2. Grrrr! I'm new to this camera n not got a clue how to get it back to how it was. My memory in me head not so good. Anyway, to fill you in--My battery was going to 0% after 183 shots or less using C-AF on custom 1....Today I just set my 'A' aperture priority on S-AF and put back in the battery that originally took 183, Well lo n behold, I took 323 images. Was it the firmware or does this Om1 mk2 of mine not like C-AF for Birding/Sports. I use BBF. If anyone has a set of easy to follow settings for BBF.C-AF for Birding Sports Please do Tell. Thank You.

Comment

Well, Thanks to you lot I updated the Firmware...It reset my C1 & C2. Grrrr! I'm new to this camera n not got a clue how to get it back to how it was. My memory in me head not so good. Anyway, to fill you in--My battery was going to 0% after 183 shots or less using C-AF on custom 1....Today I just set my 'A' aperture priority on S-AF and put back in the battery that originally took 183, Well lo n behold, I took 323 images. Was it the firmware or does this Om1 mk2 of mine not like C-AF for Birding/Sports. I use BBF. If anyone has a set of easy to follow settings for BBF.C-AF for Birding Sports Please do Tell. Thank You.

Comment

Updated with Workspace, checked all my lenses as well as the 300 and 40-150. Found my 45 1.2 was due an update too. All seems to be good. Nice one Olympus.
                              Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                              Capture One Pro
                              My flickr

Comment

I hear there's a feature to make the focus ring on the lens automatically switch to MF mode, so in effect all lenses have a clutch. This seems eminently sensible to me; the expected behaviour for someone brought up on SLRs before AF existed. Why else would you be using the focus ring if not to (manually) focus ?

Haven't applied the update myself yet ...

Comment

Working...
                                X