X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conflicting Info from Olympus re 3 Year Extended Warranty

Comment

I recently damaged my E-M1-ii beyond economic repair and it was replaced by my insurer. They would not, however, pay to replace the 3-year extended Warranty nor would Olympus transfer it to the replacement body (although the original was only 6 months old). They did, however, agree a 20% discount on a replacement Warranty.

My decision to take out the extended Warranty was based n the amount of work needed on my first E-M1 - strap lug, rear dial, lens contacts, and shutter failure - all covered under Warranty. It could have been an expensive purchase without that cover, although reports on the E-M1-ii are, so far, encouraging.

ps - I've also had a couple of lens failures, also covered under Warranty.
      Mike
      visit my Natural History Photos website:
      http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

The current EM1 models are getting ready for replacement models to arrive and buying a late version of the EM1 at clearance price might be cheaper than buying an extended warranty for your existing camera.
        This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
          The current EM1 models are getting ready for replacement models to arrive and buying a late version of the EM1 at clearance price might be cheaper than buying an extended warranty for your existing camera.
          http://www.wingsofnature.org

Comment

Comment

I’m pleased to confirm that I received the 3 Year Extended Warranties and that Olympus Support have redeemed them against both bodies.

Thanks to Olympus Support for their assistance.

Dave

Comment

I commented on this post when it was first brought up. So here's an update on my situation. The extended warranty for my E-M1 Mk2 runs out on the 19 of this month. I haven't heard anything from Olympus and decided to contact them.

I was told quite categorically by the support team member that I should have taken the warranty out within the two year period because you cannot take out an extended warranty within an extended warranty period.

So it appears that some people were allowed to do this, but I'm not.

Second time I've been screwed by Olympus. I had an EVF burn on my old E-M1 Mk1. Olympus repair centre said it was my fault, apparently taking your camera out in bright sunlight is a no-no according to the repair centre. I had to pay the repair cost to get it fixed. Yet when I brought this up on an Olympus Facebook group people on there were saying they had had the same repair done FOC, even out of warranty. Some even said they had the repair done more than once FOC
                No matter how advanced your camera you still need to be responsible for getting it to the right place at the right time and pointing it in the right direction to get the photo you want. - Ken Rockwell

Say It With A Camera
                Photography From North Wales
                Flickr

Comment

Does sound a little inconsistent. On the two occasions I have used Oly repairs (EPL-5 shutter replacement, and a thorough lens clean/service) they have been reliable and quality work.
                  Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I'm not saying the repair isn't good, they did a fantastic job on the EVF. But for ages afterwards I was scared to take my camera out in bright sunlight. Not much good when you are trying to photograph wildlife or low flying aircraft, here in North Wales.
                    No matter how advanced your camera you still need to be responsible for getting it to the right place at the right time and pointing it in the right direction to get the photo you want. - Ken Rockwell

Say It With A Camera
                    Photography From North Wales
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                      I'm not saying the repair isn't good, they did a fantastic job on the EVF. But for ages afterwards I was scared to take my camera out in bright sunlight. Not much good when you are trying to photograph wildlife or low flying aircraft, here in North Wales.
                      I expect you know that the problem doesn't happen if you leave the dioptre adjustment set to near 0. In other words wear your glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
                        I expect you know that the problem doesn't happen if you leave the dioptre adjustment set to near 0. In other words wear your glasses.
                        In other words, it doesn't concentrate the sun rays into a small hot spot at zero setting.
                        Ross
                        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I have never heard of this with the EVF before...surely it shouldn't happen?

Comment

Originally posted by royd63uk View Post
                            I have never heard of this with the EVF before...surely it shouldn't happen?
                            It shouldn't happen, however due to optics matching a person's vision the diopter could be adjusted so that if the sun does enter, it does with a concentrated pinpoint of that light (& heat) on the EVF display & that's when there are burnt spots occurring on the display. To remedy that situation it is possible to put a filter over the glass (or behind it) but then the display needs to be adjusted for brightness & colour to compensate. I didn't think there was the same issue in the E-M1 II as earlier models (like E-M5), thinking they had incorporated a filter in the design.

I remember the days in primary school with kids with a magnifying glass starting a fire by using it with dry gum leaves. It's just the same thing in the camera, unfortunately. Also, it is possible to do the same damage to the sensor by photographing the sun.
                            Ross
                            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                              It shouldn't happen, however due to optics matching a person's vision the diopter could be adjusted so that if the sun does enter, it does with a concentrated pinpoint of that light (& heat) on the EVF display & that's when there are burnt spots occurring on the display. To remedy that situation it is possible to put a filter over the glass (or behind it) but then the display needs to be adjusted for brightness & colour to compensate. I didn't think there was the same issue in the E-M1 II as earlier models (like E-M5), thinking they had incorporated a filter in the design.
                              He was telling us about the original E-M1 which he had. The E-M1 II has had no reports of the problem, we can safely assume they fixed it.

Comment

The E-M1 II has had no reports of the problem, we can safely assume they fixed it.
                                I would hope so never heard of it before and have has many different camera makes (and I always adjust the diopter!

Comment

Working...
                                X