My first proper Pro-Capture play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first proper Pro-Capture play

I did some Pro Capture when we were on safari a few weeks back using my 40-150 Pro plus MC14. The biggest problem that I found was balancing the 'holy trinity' of shutter speed, aperture and ISO to ensure some degree of success. As I didn't know in which direction my subject (a lilac crested roller in this case) was going to take off in, I needed a decent aperture to cover depth of field (I used f5). I also needed a very fast shutter speed to freeze the action (1/4000 second was OK). Both of these needed an ISO of 800, which I didn't want to exceed if I could help it. All this was in really good lighting conditions so anything less would mean that I would have to make compromises with one or more of the 'holy trinity'. I had to do this on other occasions which resulted in a lot of blurred movement. I would be loath to attempt Pro Capture with my m43rds 75-300..................
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
      I did some Pro Capture when we were on safari a few weeks back using my 40-150 Pro plus MC14. The biggest problem that I found was balancing the 'holy trinity' of shutter speed, aperture and ISO to ensure some degree of success. As I didn't know in which direction my subject (a lilac crested roller in this case) was going to take off in, I needed a decent aperture to cover depth of field (I used f5). I also needed a very fast shutter speed to freeze the action (1/4000 second was OK). Both of these needed an ISO of 800, which I didn't want to exceed if I could help it. All this was in really good lighting conditions so anything less would mean that I would have to make compromises with one or more of the 'holy trinity'. I had to do this on other occasions which resulted in a lot of blurred movement. I would be loath to attempt Pro Capture with my m43rds 75-300..................
      The issues you describe are not really specific to the use of ProCapture. I have used it successfully with the 75-300, but I agree it needs good light. Using ProCap L one can retain C-AF focusing throughout.

Here are some examples with the 75-300, in every case set to its longest focal length, 300mm.

Gannet diving, about to hit the water:

Dragonfly in flight:

Dragonfly taking off:

Comment

I make it easy on myself, i set the shutter speed shoot wide open and let the camera sort the ISO out, i am tending to use pro-capture for all my action shots as i feel it takes too long for the camera to take the picture after i press the shutter.

another from today @ ISO 1000

P1010096 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Comment

Even with pro capture you can be a bit late, Coot diving

P1010142 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Comment

Absolutely! But as Pro Capture has kindled my interest in BIF photography (which I never had before), this is why I mentioned the 'holy trinity' in relation to this innovative way of capturing action.

Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
            The issues you describe are not really specific to the use of ProCapture. I have used it successfully with the 75-300, but I agree it needs good light. Using ProCap L one can retain C-AF focusing throughout.

Here are some examples with the 75-300, in every case set to its longest focal length, 300mm.

Gannet diving, about to hit the water:

Dragonfly in flight:

Dragonfly taking off:
            Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Absolutely! But as Pro Capture has kindled my interest in BIF photography (which I never had before), this is why I mentioned the 'holy trinity' in relation to this innovative way of capturing action.
              Good luck with the BIF. It is never easy, and the smaller the bird the harder is it. Waiting for a bird to fly is a good idea.

With the gannet I was tracking it flying around, waiting for it to make the decision to start the dive. The moment it does that one has to follow it down, and they go very fast. It took me about 30 minutes of intense concentration to get a good sequence.

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Great shots and some excellent tips in this thread, thanks guys.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Tried moving the focus to the Lens FN button, i never liked the true BBF but i think this may be ok, just feels a bit strange with pro-capture.

P1010161 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1010144 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1010070 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Comment

Another set from today.

P8110161 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P8110162 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P8110163 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P8110165 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P8110166 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P8110167 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Comment

The 3rd shot is terrific
                        Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
                        Flickr

Comment

Great examples of the vagaries of Flicr
                          This space for rent

Comment

This afternoon, a Sparrowhawk got caught by its talons in the netting over our greenhouse. While my wife worked to free the bird, I took the opportunity to try the pro-capture mode on my E-M1-ii. The two following shots show the moment of release and the next shot - by the third shot only the tail feathers remained in the frame!

I used my 75mm f/1.8 lens and overall, took a sequence of 20 photos, most of which showed the period immediately before the release.

Mike
                            visit my Natural History Photos website:
                            http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Working...
                            X