C-AF - tight/loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-AF - tight/loose

Got a query on C-AF, does the loose/tight setting have any impact on the focusing ability? Or does it only apply to C-AF+ TR?

Re: C-AF - tight/loose

Yes it does .
    Rob.

Comment

Cheers Rob, appreciated ��

Comment

Only applies on CAF. Not sure whether Tracking makes a difference or not. I suspect not.
        Paul
        E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
        flickr
        Portfolio Site
        Instagram

Comment

I just sent Scott Bourne a message as I read his article, he says it only affects C-AF + TR and not C-AF, confused now :-)

Comment

I did extensive tests and it does affect C-AF (without tracking). It makes a huge difference.
            What it does is introduce a delay before it reacts to a change in focus. If you set it to +2 (most sensitive) it will react instantly. 0 is a small delay. But once you get to -1 or -2 the delay is quite long.
            You can easily try it. Set it to -2, focus on something very close like the side of a window. Then quickly point the camera into the distance out of the window. You will see a delay before it reacts. Then try +2 and it reacts quickly.
            For the photography I do I leave it on +2.

Comment

I intend on giving it a go when I get home, thanks for the info!

Comment

The other advice I received was to use C-AF with the focus limiting function to stop it hunting between the subject and the background (or foreground) and use the smallest focus point you can manage with, be that all of them, 9, 5, 1 or tiny.

My problem is I find it difficult to successfully track fast moving subjects so the focus limit and 9 focus points can work very well.
                I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

My approach is to use a single focus point and +2 sensitivity. With a 300mm lens, following a small subject is very difficult anyway. I use C-AF (no tracking) and try to keep the focus point on the subject. When I fail I immediately lose focus, but on the other hand when I get it on the subject again, I immediately reaquire focus.

I'm sure the best method depends on many things, experiment and see what works for you.

Comment

If the background is fairly featureless (e.g. sky), then the "all points" mode works remarkably well. It's sort of fun too to watch the green rectangles dancing around!
                    Paul
                    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                    flickr
                    Portfolio Site
                    Instagram

Comment

Regards,
                      Mark

------------------------------
                      http://www.microcontrast.com
                      Too much Oly gear.
                      Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                      Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Cheers for all the info, tried it in the garden last night and it definitely makes a difference

Comment

What we don't seem to know is how the C-AF Sensitivity setting affects the ability of the camera to keep a moving subject in focus. Some say +2 is more accurate. My experience is it doesn't make any difference.

My guess is that it is just a delay before switching to a better focus candidate at a different distance. But, it is a shame we have to guess.

I use +2 at the moment.

Slightly off-topic: Prior to formware 2.0, I had resorted to using mechanical shutter with C-AF and Sequential L @ 10 fps for bif as I felt the AF was more accurate or at least I seemed to get more, sharp pictures. However, I tried the electronic shutter @ 15 fps yesterday with firmware 2.1 and was pleasently surprised by how well the C-AF kept up. It is possible that firmware 2.0 improved this case.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                            What we don't seem to know is how the C-AF Sensitivity setting affects the ability of the camera to keep a moving subject in focus. Some say +2 is more accurate. My experience is it doesn't make any difference.

My guess is that it is just a delay before switching to a better focus candidate at a different distance. But, it is a shame we have to guess.

I use +2 at the moment.
                            We do know, as I did extensive testing. It is a delay as you guessed, and I measured it at all the settings. See my message #6 above.

If you are following a moving object you may lose it for a moment. If you have a lower setting such as -1 the focus won't change for a moment, so you may get the object in your aim again before the focus starts changing. That is the idea. (But I use +2 like you do.)

Comment

On my camera C-AF sensitivity is High and Low not Tight and Loose.

In the early firmware the feature was called C-AF Lock and the settings were called Tight and Loose.

Nowadays the feature is called C-AF Sensitivity and the settings are High to Low.

Anyone seeing Tight and Loose on their camera needs to do the firmware update. Your C-AF will improve along with lots more improvements!

Hint - run Olympus Viewer 3, and first update the software, that updates the updater. Only after that do the update of the camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X