Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firmware Update

Originally posted by mack100 View Post
    Mine done, unable to restore custom settings. Tried several times to no avail.
    Everything else ok, 300mm also done.
    I had the same error message. Have you checked if they have actually changed I found mine were still there. Reports on another site have the same issue but the only setting that changed was the Language being reset to default English.
    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
      I had the same error message. Have you checked if they have actually changed I found mine were still there. Reports on another site have the same issue but the only setting that changed was the Language being reset to default English.
      Just custom settings affected.

Comment

Just done mine - body and both lenses done in 10 minutes flat.

I did it because there is a small update that I was hoping to see. I am disappointed and a little annoyed that it has not been done - since I took it up with Oly a long time ago I will raise it again. In brief, I want to be able to use the camera with the rear screen facing out, so I can use it to dynamically select the focus point, but with nothing displayed on it because I am often shooting in dark concert venues and don't want to piss off the rest of the audience. Currently there is no combination of settings to enable this, and nothing appears to have changed with V2.0.

John

Comment

Don't forget, there is an updated User Manual too. http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/supp...manual/pen.cfm
          EDIT: It's already been mentioned once in this thread (I really should read others posts before adding my two cents worth).

I can see another update coming then. I don't have any settings saved in the Custom selections, so didn't see any issues.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
            But did you run the Olympus updater first to store your settings? Doing it the .BIN file method means all your settings will be back to default (because it was updating to a major level being 2.0).
            Yes I did do a save and restore. It worked fine, although there is still the bug/feature whereby it resets your shutter and aperture defaults.
            Paul
            E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
            flickr
            Portfolio Site
            Instagram

Comment

I did mine using OV3 and had to update the software in that and the updater first. It automatically saved and reloaded my Custom Settings during the installation and the only thing wrong was the shutter speed in Shutter Priority and the aperture in Aperture Priority. Quite painless really.

It's nice to have the small focusing point back again but I haven't looked for any other changes so far. We are in the middle of the worst snow for years here at the moment, so I don't think I will be using it for a few days.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                Just wondering if the latest software (firmware, 1's and 0's ware) will help in making better photography, or is a release by Olympus to keep the 'gear-heads' happy.

Someone must have written a Linux Distro by now, and armed with the source code and knowledge of the hardware (reverse engineering anyone?) you may be able to make it do all sorts of things.
                There's a new feature Steve in fw 2.0 that's called NeverCrap (TM). It basically ensures that any crap photos you take are immediately deleted from the memory card. It's a great feature. Not only does it stop embarrassment with your peers, but it saves big time on memory card usage.

It's a complex feature though - you need to setup your "crap threshold". For me I ticked too many boxes and all I get now are pictures of cats. Can't understand what I'm doing wrong.
                Paul
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                  Yes I did do a save and restore. It worked fine, although there is still the bug/feature whereby it resets your shutter and aperture defaults.
                  Not just a pretty face, heh? Good to know there are alternative methods to update as well as being able to take advantage of features given to us.
                  I lose concentration as it gets late & might have missed that, but then I can do that at any time of the day.
                  As others have reported custom settings are showing an error on restoring, I can see another update coming (for camera & or updater).
                  Ross
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

There's a new feature Steve in fw 2.0 that's called NeverCrap (TM). It basically ensures that any crap photos you take are immediately deleted from the memory card. It's a great feature. Not only does it stop embarrassment with your peers, but it saves big time on memory card usage.

It's a complex feature though - you need to setup your "crap threshold". For me I ticked too many boxes and all I get now are pictures of cats. Can't understand what I'm doing wrong.
                    Oh, you're in fine form now!
                    Ross

Comment

• Re: Firmware Update

Just did my omd mkII AND 300 F4 All seems ok did not have any custom settings .
                      Rob.

Comment

Can the same app be loaded to the computer used for PPing to retrospectively delete the crap. It would sell like hot potatoes.
                        Steve

on flickr

Comment

Thought I would test to see if the smaller focus point made a difference. So mounted camera on tripod.

Got a sheet of paper with a small hole in the middle and placed a second sheet about 20cm behind.

The hole in the front sheet was just a little larger than the new small focus area but smaller than the standard area we have had from day one.

With the small focus selected the camera happily focused on the rear target focussing through the hole. Then without moving the camera I changed the focus area to standard and it only focussed on the front sheet.

Bottom line it does make a difference and will help focussing through smaller gaps.

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Thought I would test to see if the smaller focus point made a difference. So mounted camera on tripod.

Got a sheet of paper with a small hole in the middle and placed a second sheet about 20cm behind.

The hole in the front sheet was just a little larger than the new small focus area but smaller than the standard area we have had from day one.

With the small focus selected the camera happily focused on the rear target focussing through the hole. Then without moving the camera I changed the focus area to standard and it only focussed on the front sheet.

Bottom line it does make a difference and will help focussing through smaller gaps.

That's a great test!! Thank you. Are you a scientist?
                            Paul
                            flickr
                            Portfolio Site
                            Instagram

Comment

Read somewhere that the ProCap is enabled for selected other lenses.. Does it mean Panny lenses also enjoy this?
                              * Henry
                              * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

My slightly less scientific test...

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Working...
                                X