Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubber grip falling off!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Rubber grip falling off!

    Just spoken to a nice person in the Czech Republic, who tells me they're awaiting spare parts...

    The grip being loose had exposed some inner workings via a joint in the chassis, so maybe some water has got inside or there's just so many grips falling off they've run out!

    She's getting a full report from the maintenance people in Portugal to find out...
    I didn’t get where I am today....

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Rubber grip falling off!

      Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
      Loctite also make Power Flex which is a gel superglue, but with a some flexibility.
      I have used Loctite Power Flex on the rubber grips of all my Olympus cameras except for the E-M1 II, which hasn't come loose yet.

      It works well. - Very much better than the stuff Olympus used when I sent my E-M1 back for a warranty repair of one of the strap lugs and mentioned that the rubber grip was also in need of a bit of re-glueing.
      Larry

      Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
      Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Rubber grip falling off!

        Originally posted by Walti View Post
        Just spoken to a nice person in the Czech Republic, who tells me they're awaiting spare parts...

        The grip being loose had exposed some inner workings via a joint in the chassis, so maybe some water has got inside or there's just so many grips falling off they've run out!

        She's getting a full report from the maintenance people in Portugal to find out...

        Sorry to hear this Walti.


        Have you returned yours to Olympus for repair? If so, please let us know how long it takes from sending the camera out until its returned.


        Dave

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Rubber grip falling off!

          Originally posted by DavyG View Post
          Sorry to hear this Walti.


          Have you returned yours to Olympus for repair? If so, please let us know how long it takes from sending the camera out until its returned.


          Dave
          I didn’t get where I am today....

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Rubber grip falling off!

            Originally posted by griffljg View Post
            I have used Loctite Power Flex on the rubber grips of all my Olympus cameras except for the E-M1 II, which hasn't come loose yet.

            It works well. - Very much better than the stuff Olympus used when I sent my E-M1 back for a warranty repair of one of the strap lugs and mentioned that the rubber grip was also in need of a bit of re-glueing.
            Thanks. I'll test it out on my HLD-6 (E-M5 grip) then as it is just slightly lifting. I will probably apply a little at a time on the end of a tooth pick or scalpel blade though.

            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Rubber grip falling off!

              Oh well.... Two weeks and counting, last response was it was due to be completed this week, but nothing since, have chased them a couple of times with no response! A bit disappointing

              Really missing it and have found that there's enough difference between the MK1 and MKii that I'm not enjoying using the MKi
              I didn’t get where I am today....

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Rubber grip falling off!

                Originally posted by Johnheatingman
                You should have glued it back on yourself !! Now you've got "withdrawal symptoms" and going "cold turkey" without it !

                John
                The reason I didn't was that I'd been using out in the rain without realising the grip was loose, when I found it there was a big joint in the camera frame exposed which may (or may not) have let water into the innermost workings of the camera, so as it was under warranty - off it went.

                But you're right, quite sad without it
                I didn’t get where I am today....

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Rubber grip falling off!

                  I sent my EM-1 II to Sydney for a warranty repair when the off/on switch got a bit sticky and got it back a month later. Fortunately I still had the EM-1 (Mk I) for company while I waited.
                  Larry

                  Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
                  Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Rubber grip falling off!

                    A month is a long time for a repair.....

                    Hope you let them know your views about that..
                    Mark Johnson

                    My Sailing Page

                    My Flickr

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Rubber grip falling off!

                      Originally posted by griffljg View Post
                      I sent my EM-1 II to Sydney for a warranty repair when the off/on switch got a bit sticky and got it back a month later. Fortunately I still had the EM-1 (Mk I) for company while I waited.
                      Normally it's a week turnaround, but if they don't have the item in stock it may take longer. I took the E-M5 (an hours drive) down near the end of the warranty period for the cracked bezel repair (had just bought the E-M1) & they posted it back a week later. Hopefully I don't need to use them for any repairs (except the 12-60 SWD lens I intend to take shortly), because I'd rather nothing broke.
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Rubber grip falling off!

                        Originally posted by Walti View Post
                        The reason I didn't was that I'd been using out in the rain without realising the grip was loose, when I found it there was a big joint in the camera frame exposed which may (or may not) have let water into the innermost workings of the camera, so as it was under warranty - off it went.

                        But you're right, quite sad without it
                        I feel your pain (I think). Hopefully it will come back as good (or better) as new. Could the delay be because there was some ingress of water?
                        Ross
                        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          It's back!

                          Got a mail yesterday saying the parts had arrived and the repair would be started today.

                          I will be advised of the tracking number when it is despatched.

                          Doorbell just rang and there's Mr DHL with a parcel!

                          All new grips fitted and they are different to the old ones as there's no longer a slight lip all around them! I guess the old ones were either different or incorrectly fitted!

                          Will take it out later and get familiar with it again - as I've been using the MKi for a few days!

                          EDIT: re-loading all the settings was nice and painless - apart from the C1, C2, C3 where I had to manually set and re-save the shutter and aperture settings I wanted and the time and date needed re-setting. (I wonder why they don't take them off the computer as part of the upload - like they do if you use the iPhone app?)
                          I didn’t get where I am today....

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Rubber grip falling off!

                            It really sounds so nice that you guys get the Rubber grip fixed and return within the 2 weeks time frame. I have been procrastinating sending it in as mine is already out of warranty. I noticed it was coming loose when I was in UK in 2017. Since it was a really busy year for me, I decided to keep using it.

                            I bought a new em1mk2 as a backup camera for my Papuma/Bromo trip. Hence on returning , I decided to sent it in for replacement. That was on the 17 of July. Last friday, almost 2 weeks, I decided to check with the camera shop when I can get the camera back..after 2 days of asking, Oly informed them it's only going to be ready after the mid of August! AND it's going to cost me
                            * Henry
                            * Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
                            * Malaysia


                            All my garbage so far.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Rubber grip falling off!

                              Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                              It really sounds so nice that you guys get the Rubber grip fixed and return within the 2 weeks time frame. I have been procrastinating sending it in as mine is already out of warranty. I noticed it was coming loose when I was in UK in 2017. Since it was a really busy year for me, I decided to keep using it.

                              I bought a new em1mk2 as a backup camera for my Papuma/Bromo trip. Hence on returning , I decided to sent it in for replacement. That was on the 17 of July. Last friday, almost 2 weeks, I decided to check with the camera shop when I can get the camera back..after 2 days of asking, Oly informed them it's only going to be ready after the mid of August! AND it's going to cost me
                              I'm wondering why you didn't get it repaired directly with Olympus. The camera shop may have forgotten about it and it was still there!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Rubber grip falling off!

                                Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
                                I'm wondering why you didn't get it repaired directly with Olympus. The camera shop may have forgotten about it and it was still there!
                                This shop, I trust them, that it's not sitting in the cupboard. I have in many occasion use them to send oly stuff back to oly for service.
                                * Henry
                                * Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
                                * Malaysia


                                All my garbage so far.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X