Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bird in Flight Help

Originally posted by bigsambwfc View Post
    i have my mk2 set on M as walti suggests,i use the 100-400 leica lens and as I am old school I use manual focus with peaking,as I am used to focussing and panning at the same time.for bif I use 9point c-af,most others I use single spot.i wish there was a back button focus option or s-af button on fn1 possibility.my best results have been with manual focussing. got 2 A4 printable shots of flying kingfisher out of about 400 shots which is good for me.
    There is a back button option on the AEL/AFL button, will that not help?

Comment

how can I program the AEL-AFL button as a back button focus on the M mode,i need step by step guidance as I am non conversant with the instruction manual, plus thick.would appreciate help as I can only find mk1 advice which has differences with my mk2 version.not desperate just frustrated with oly menu at present, camera and lens are very good, battery grip is useless in horizontal mode as shutter is accidentally pressed too easily,so I have lost 2 extra fn buttons in horiz position.hope for easy step by step reply.

Comment

how can I program the AEL-AFL button as a back button focus on the M mode,i need step by step guidance as I am non conversant with the instruction manual, plus thick.would appreciate help as I can only find mk1 advice which has differences with my mk2 version.not desperate just frustrated with oly menu at present, camera and lens are very good, battery grip is useless in horizontal mode as shutter is accidentally pressed too easily,so I have lost 2 extra fn buttons in horiz position.hope for easy step by step reply.
        • Press the menu button
        • Scroll down to "gears" menu (looks like a cog)
        • Press "right" to get to menu A1
        • Press "right" to get to first menu item
        • Scroll down one item to AEL/AFL option and press "OK"
        • Select whether you want to set back-button focus for S-AF, C-AF or Manual focus and press "OK" (repeat if you want more than one)
        • Scroll down to select "mode 3" and press "OK"
        • Half-press shutter to get out of the menu system.

You're done.

Comment

Go to the menus, and enter the gear and menu A

Selecting MODE3 for S-AF sets focusing by pushing the AEL/AFL button...

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
            Obviously you can use what ever settings you find work for you, most of the time it's trial and error. You have to start somewhere!

As I understand it -2 means it is least likely to switch focus to a different target, eg if there is a busy background.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1.2-sett.html#AFLOC Has some useful setting tips / info....
            I have been using C-AF Lock set to -2 for a couple of weeks now quite successfully. As long as you pick up the correct target on initial AF acquisition, it will stick with it quite well. It does not seem to affect the responsiveness of the AF as has been suggested/assumed by some. So, it seems to follow a fast moving subject just as well set to -2 as it does set to +2 but has less tendency to wander off. The Olympus advice on the Aus web site seems poor in this respect.

My conclusion, as wrotniak suggests, is that this functions works the same way as on the E-M1. That is, it varies the delay in looking for a new subject once it identifies that the original subject has been lost. I think the E-M1 values were 0.25, 0.5 and 1 seconds. If you stick on the subject, they both work the same. If you lose a bif for a moment, -2 to better as the camera doesn't shoot off to focus on something else.

Thanks for the suggestion.

This shot was taken with C-AF set to -2. Sort of bif .

Comment

Last edited by Tordan58; 13th July 2017, 08:15 PM. Reason: IS Off

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

It is interesting reading users' chosen BIF settings, especially Tord's as he has been posting some excellent shots recently.

I can see nothing that different from my own, unsuccessful, settings, so most of it must be down to sheer skill. The only differences I can see are Shutter Release Priority OFF and C-AF Lock (I have been using 0.)

The only other thing which I haven't seen mentioned is Image Stabilization. Does everybody turn it off or does anybody use it?

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                  It is interesting reading users' chosen BIF settings, especially Tord's as he has been posting some excellent shots recently.

I can see nothing that different from my own, unsuccessful, settings, so most of it must be down to sheer skill. The only differences I can see are Shutter Release Priority OFF and C-AF Lock (I have been using 0.)

The only other thing which I haven't seen mentioned is Image Stabilization. Does everybody turn it off or does anybody use it?

Ron
                  I use the image stabilisation, as it helps me focus on and track the subject.

When on one of the Olympus days the trainer said the image stabilisation is not effective above a certain shutter speed... though I can't see any reference to this in the instruction book, so I assume he's mistaken!

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post

Ron
                    I turn it off. IS will be trying to keep the image still so if you are panning it may well blur the subject whilst trying to correct for your motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                      I use the image stabilisation, as it helps me focus on and track the subject.

When on one of the Olympus days the trainer said the image stabilisation is not effective above a certain shutter speed... though I can't see any reference to this in the instruction book, so I assume he's mistaken!
                      The object of IS is to counteract image blur due to camera movement or "shake" at lower shutter speeds. If you are panning to follow a moving subject the IS will seek to oppose your panning and can as Tony says cause blur so I can't quite see how keeping IS on for BIF helps you "focus on and track the subject".

Before IS was developed the only way to overcome blur due to camera shake was to use higher shutter speeds. The current OMDs can now allow shutter speeds in seconds rather than fractions of a second to be used handheld without blur. Above a certain shutter speed however the "old rules" still apply and there will be no blur any way so the IS will not give any further improvement so will "not be effective". This does not mean that the IS system
                      is not working or is inhibited which would need a comment in the manual, it's just how photography works.

Regards.
                      Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                      OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                      Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

thanks all for back button focus info,set it all up, got to try it in field now, one question though do you hold button down when panning bif or pump button?

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
                          AF is only continuous in low sub 10 fps, otherwise it sticks at the first frame unchanged.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                          Off the top of my head that's not correct on the E-M1 Mark II and possibly the Mark 1 since the major firmware update. Can anyone else comment?

Ian
                          Founder and editor of:
                          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                          sigpic

Comment

will test it out in morning as there is a model airplane club nearbye,gud test for bif on back button,holding button down seems to work from my garden window on silent low sequence so I am hopeful.

Comment

To me IS on lets you keep on the subject by holding it still BIF so make it easier to get the focus point on it .
                              I always have IS on and use auto, this is suppose to take into account when panning on the mk2 .
                              Rob.

Comment

Regarding the IS: I have been testing both with and without. With the IS on (Auto-IS) at occasion I get unsharp frames with something that looks like high frequency, low amplitude shake blur so I guess the IS is involved in this. With the shutter speed that my settings honor (1/1600s or faster) I will turn the IS off. Another reason for doing so is to reduce current consumption as the 300/F4 gyros are engaged all the time. The gain in battery life is noticeable.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Working...
                                X