Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

How do you handle a / edit / select from a mass of images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you handle a / edit / select from a mass of images

On the Fisher Price App store I have found 85 programs related to EXIF and Photo - I do not know the quality or usefulness but it is good starter set.

And this did not include the big apps and the "Fast Raw Viewer", so lots more no doubt.
    This space for rent

Comment

I use Macphun SnapSelect it is super fast in action groups images by date and similar worth a download and try it out.

Regards

Tom
      "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

I use FastPictureViewer for the initial cull, as it deletes the Raw+JPG as a pair. I prefer Fastone for viewing, and sometimes tag selections there, but neither carry over selections to Lightroom in a way useful to me.
        Bruce

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

Comment

One suggestion that hasn't been mentioned is to review them in-camera. The image viewing options in-camera are pretty powerful and I find them pretty intuitive on Oly - much better than Pany or Canon, for example. You can quickly select images you either want as a bunch, or don't want as a bunch by your selection - and you can view them zoomed-in for a series of images in succession, looking at the critical part of your images, even side-by-side. Admittedly, the screen / viewfinder is a lot smaller, and it uses battery, but I frequently delete many images in-camera once I'm home before transferring to my computer ...

Worth a try ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
            Hi,

Waiting for LR to render a photo in full resolution takes time. If you come home with many photos from a session, say an airshow, this process can be painfully slow.

The method I use and that saves a lot of time to cherry pick the best photos is described below. I use Windows, same method should work for Mac as well.

1. Import and export to both high and low resolution JPG, have LR store them in separate output folders.
            2. Browse and quick review the low res JPG using the "Photo Viewer", delete the non-wanted while browsing/quick reviewing.
            3. Delete the matching RAWs and high res JPG as you will not need them any longer.
            4. Open all sequences, similar shots of same subject in your favorite photo editing tool (now is when you will make use of the high res JPG). "Stack" all the windows. This way you can easily pair-wise compare the photos. As you do so, close the windows displaying photos that lose in the pair-wise comparison, until you have only one left (or possibly a few which you may want to keep).
            6. Make a note of remaining file name/s and delete all RAWs except this one/s. Easiest is to un-select from the multiple selection that was dragged and dropped in the photo editing application.
            7. After all photos have been evaluated, synchronize the folder in LR to remove the photos that have no file, delete all the JPGs, and proceed with final processing.

May sound complicated but it is not, you quickly get used to it. The more RAWs to evaluate, the more time you save.
            I suggest you try FastRawViewer and use it BEFORE importing to Lightroom.
            Steve
            My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

It looks like FastRawViewer will be the app of choice.

It is rather nice to skim through some the shots taken in Pro mode to get a movie show of the action.
              This space for rent

Comment

Common problem for all of us... my method uses several steps:
                - Use Pro mode only when needed (when you expect something unexpected or difficult to predict).
                - Max rate 10fps, also covenient for correct autofocus
                - Control your instincts with finger... be conscious that you may have to review later.
                - Review and transfer from SD to disk in one step, using FastStone with shortcuts (just press C C when viewing file in large size and selected picture is automatically copied from memory), then go next picture (right arrow). Be selective.
                - After that, you have a quick selection of files in focus and with the right composition located in a folder you have created for that day/location.
                -Then use Lightroom to similar for adjusting light, crop a bit, etc...

I have found that using Lightroom only is very slow.

Hope this may help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kami View Post
                  One suggestion that hasn't been mentioned is to review them in-camera. The image viewing options in-camera are pretty powerful and I find them pretty intuitive on Oly - much better than Pany or Canon, for example. You can quickly select images you either want as a bunch, or don't want as a bunch by your selection - and you can view them zoomed-in for a series of images in succession, looking at the critical part of your images, even side-by-side. Admittedly, the screen / viewfinder is a lot smaller, and it uses battery, but I frequently delete many images in-camera once I'm home before transferring to my computer ...

Worth a try ?
                  Only problem with this is that even after formatting the card, there will still be "stuff' on the card that could corrupt it, so I have been told.
                  sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                    Only problem with this is that even after formatting the card, there will still be "stuff' on the card that could corrupt it, so I have been told.
                    Your source is incorrect... "delete all" *might* do an incomplete job but "format" will clean the card up completely.
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by raichea View Post
                      Your source is incorrect... "delete all" *might* do an incomplete job but "format" will clean the card up completely.
                      OK, I will pass that back to the source.
                      sigpicDave

Comment

Working...
                      X