C-AF disappointing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-AF disappointing

Have been trying the E-M1 Mark 2 during this weekend.

First impression was great. I tested the camera with the 300/4 (also for test) and my own lenses (300/2.8 and Canon 400/5.6) and the AF-S accuracy was much, much more accurate/reliable than the E-M1. Based on these promising start I would have been tempted by the camera. However I must say I am very disappointed with the C-AF. Some 500+ shots resulted in zero keepers. Zero, all shots OOF. This in spite of good light conditions, clean background, camera acquiring and confirming focus.

I tried following:
    AF points, central 9, central 5, single AF.
    C-AF, C-AF + tracking.
    IS-1, IS off.

So just to be sure nothing was wrong with the camera I did some final tests using S-AF and the results were as good as the first test.

Anyone else?

My Gallery on 500px

Re: C-AF disappointing

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
    Have been trying the E-M1 Mark 2 during this weekend.

First impression was great. I tested the camera with the 300/4 (also for test) and my own lenses (300/2.8 and Canon 400/5.6) and the AF-S accuracy was much, much more accurate/reliable than the E-M1. Based on these promising start I would have been tempted by the camera. However I must say I am very disappointed with the C-AF. Some 500+ shots resulted in zero keepers. Zero, all shots OOF. This in spite of good light conditions, clean background, camera acquiring and confirming focus.

I tried following:
    AF points, central 9, central 5, single AF.
    C-AF, C-AF + tracking.
    IS-1, IS off.

So just to be sure nothing was wrong with the camera I did some final tests using S-AF and the results were as good as the first test.

Anyone else?
    I'm no BIF expert Torden, but I did manage to get some very sharp action shots of birds at a workshop I did recently at Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire. You'll find my write up, with plenty of images here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45094
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Not my experience either I'm glad to say.
      I'm finding the E-M1 MkII to be a real revelation with continuous auto focus, mostly with the 40-150 Pro (with and without the MC-14).

Examples http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44611
      Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
      Capture One Pro
      My flickr

Comment

I was also really impressed with the C-AF shooting a fast jet at Duxford using the 40-150. I've not looked super closely yet at all my shots but there are only two or three focus misses. Didn't try the tracking, it sounded a bit of a step too far when it was explained to be honest. I'll go back and look at the suggested settings for you Tord to see if there is anything there that may help.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Many of us had the same first impresion so, be confident in the machine... it's just a matter of learning curve and the right settings. There are quite a few entries in internet, and some in this site, to help you with the right settings.

I'm using now regularly the c-af for BIF with good results using s-af (also s-af/manual) but not tracking mode.

Have a look https://flic.kr/p/UC9xT2

Comment

Here is a sample, one of the sharpest dug out from hundreds. An easy and cooperative subject, hovering still, perfect light etc and should be easy to lock AF on. As you can see there is not much in focus. And it keeps on like this for every single CAF frame. I am not too impressed.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Tord, C-AF and C-AF + Tr are different on the E-M1 II than on the E-M1.

I used C-AF + Tr most of the time on the E-M1, I only use it for subjects which are actually moving a bit on the MKII.

The E-M1 II is a great piece of kit but does require a different approach than the E-M1.

There are a few examples of static subjects and bif on my Flickr page, mostly taken with C-AF and C-AF + Tr, here's a link if you're interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144249381@N05/

Dave

Comment

Tord
                This maybe a silly point, but, when using the 300 f4 did the aperture used take you into defraction territory?

Comment

I can see from your 500px gallery that you have taken some great shots using the Mk1, so I think it is a Mk2 setting issue as you say.

What shutter setting did you use. Mechanical or Silent. I found Silent Sequential Low worked best (❤︎ ❏ L). and Image stabilisation set to S-IS Auto.
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Yes there was a diffraction discussion at Duxford and Drmarkf was also having trouble with that I think from his earlier post.
                    The settings for fast aircraft that were suggested are below but on reflection I think you are way beyond this simple starting point.
                    C-AF using 1,5, or 9 a/f areas,
                    centre weighted metering,
                    shutter 1/1000 or more
                    "sequential low" setting set to 6fps
                    RLS for C-AF set to off
                    IS also set to off. Although drmarf and beagletorque found it better to have it on IS-auto.
                    Probably not much help but I hope you get it sorted out.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by pault View Post
                      Tord
                      This maybe a silly point, but, when using the 300 f4 did the aperture used take you into defraction territory?
                      This is not a diffraction issue, it's an OOF issue. Pictures shot at full aperture.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

It Drmarkf's comments and same image quality of some of my pics, that reminded me of diffraction.

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                          I can see from your 500px gallery that you have taken some great shots using the Mk1, so I think it is a Mk2 setting issue as you say.

What shutter setting did you use. Mechanical or Silent. I found Silent Sequential Low worked best (❤︎ ❏ L). and Image stabilisation set to S-IS Auto.
                          I have a hard time believing it's a setting issue, as all shots are OOF. I get the feeling there is a consisent failure in acquiring focus in C-AF.

I used mechanical shutter, H fps (from 8 to max) and IS Auto, except the end of the session when I disabled IS to see if that was the culprit - no improvement seen, though.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                            I have a hard time believing it's a setting issue, as all shots are OOF. I get the feeling there is a consisent failure in acquiring focus in C-AF.

I used mechanical shutter, H fps (from 8 to max) and IS Auto, except the end of the session when I disabled IS to see if that was the culprit - no improvement seen, though.

I agree with you the shots are definitely out of focus and it doesn't look like motion blur.

Maybe it would be worth doing some tests with the camera mounted on a tripod and use a lens test chart as a target. Then comparing two shots one taken with S-AF and another taken using C-AF. I think eliminating as many variables as possible is the only way to track down what the cause is.
                            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Here is a test I did demonstrating the OOF issue.

Single AF point, positioned so that it aims at the central tip of the central leaf
                              Shutter release prio OFF.
                              Camera locked focus immediately.
                              1/250s, F/4

This one is with S-AF. Pretty much spot on.

This one is with C-AF. Note the severe out of focus issue (front focus), a tad in front of the left leaf.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Working...
                              X