Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

C-AF disappointing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: C-AF disappointing

    Originally posted by TonyR View Post
    I just noticed that you said this in an earlier post. Mystery solved. It will not be doing C-AF.

    It is pretty stupid of Olympus to have these arcane, complex rules. Perhaps if the AF displayed in the viewfinder was actually S-AF when you use Sequential-H it would be better. Or some message gets displayed when you choose C-AF and Sequential-H. Anyway, it is poor user interface design. It would be easy to miss in the manual and lots of people expect to be able to use a camera without reading it.
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks for input but I am not sure I follow what you write.
    I am 100% certain that the camera did focus continuously when in H-FPS, focus was maintained while tracking subjects with shutter release button half-pressed. Clearly visible when shooting against sky. The issue is that I do not get what I see - at shutter release focus is altered, with one exception (see previous post). See also the focus chart samples earlier in this thread.

    /Tord

    My Gallery on 500px

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: C-AF disappointing

      Originally posted by birdboy View Post
      Hi Tord I would not have thought that your experience with CAF would have been a setting issue given the images that you post. You are a season Olympus pro. I am happy with my copy of the MKII and 300 F4 but I only use drive modes with antishock (diamond) and LF with CAF. At first I thought this may have been the issue but your static CAF tests shows a front focusing issue.
      Do you think the image you show is an oof issue or a shutter shock issue?
      Which drive modes were you using? Will be interested what comes back from Olympus support.
      It can't be shutter shock issue at 1/800s. (I could have added that piece of information).
      What do you mean with "drive mode"? Memory card? I use one card only.

      Just shared the files with Olympus support. Can't wait to get their reply.
      /Tord

      My Gallery on 500px

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: C-AF disappointing

        Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
        Hi Tony,
        Thanks for input but I am not sure I follow what you write.
        I am 100% certain that the camera did focus continuously when in H-FPS, focus was maintained while tracking subjects with shutter release button half-pressed. Clearly visible when shooting against sky. The issue is that I do not get what I see - at shutter release focus is altered, with one exception (see previous post). See also the focus chart samples earlier in this thread.

        /Tord

        Ah-ha! I see what you're saying, and I have just given it a try with my camera. I have been sloopy with my terminology! When I said Sequential-H uses S-AF I am wrong . What actually happens is that C-AF behaves differently with Sequential-H (in a way a bit similar to S-AF ).

        The manual says for Sequential-H "Focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed at the values for the first shot in each series." I translated that as S-AF but of course, as you point out, it does do C-AF while the shutter button is half-pressed. It just stops doing C-AF after the first shot in the series!

        Sorry for the confusion. The result is pretty much the same and the reason that your images are not focused is that the camera stops focusing after the first shot. The first shot in a burst is often not the best.

        Hope that helps. The answer is to use Sequential-L of any variety - normal, silent, Pro Capture.

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: C-AF disappointing

          Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
          It can't be shutter shock issue at 1/800s.
          That's what I thought at first but cannot find any oly info qualifying what shutter speeds this applies to p47 manual states;

          "To prevent camera shake caused by the small vibrations that occur during shutter operations, shooting is performed using an electronic front-curtain shutter."
          The info display on the back of the camera states "When shutter speed is 1/320 or less, the first shutter curtain is switched to electronic. Select the post-shutter release delay time." I do not under stand what this really means.

          If it was ineffective at above 1/320sec I would have expected the antishock mode to be greyed out when set above this speed if it wasn't needed. All I can say is that I have noticed an improvement in the appearance of sharpness of the image using the 0sec anti shock mode compared to the normal mode. I have had so many bad images using the normal drive modes that I would question what are they good for?

          Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
          What do you mean with "drive mode"?
          Its not very clear in the manual but I have often seen the setting that sets single, Sequential High etc as the drive mode, p 46 manual show some. There are 15 drive modes on the super control panel p50 marked as 19 Sequential shooting/Self-timer. I do not think this helps as that mode also includes single, Anti-Shock(diamond),Silent (heart).ProCapH, ProCapL & High Res Shot. Drive Mode is a term that has been used on E5 for sure in David Busch's book. I do not know of a better way of identifying that group of selections.
          John

          OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: C-AF disappointing

            I was able to test the E-M1 Mark 2 body once more (last) time after explaining a possible reason behind my earlier disappointment.

            I used L-FPS this time, and indeed it seems that you are right in that C-AF does not work with H-FPS. A quick look at the results indicates that some are quite good. Will take some time to develop and evaluate, and when done I will share some photos later for you to feedback.

            I have a quick question: is there an easy way to find out which AF point that was actually used for each frame (and ideally visualize it in Lightroom)?

            Thanks
            Tord

            My Gallery on 500px

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: C-AF disappointing

              Will this one work

              https://petapixel.com/2014/09/19/sim...d-the-shutter/

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: C-AF disappointing

                The original one does not support Olympus and is no longer available but there is a link further down the page linked below that takes you to a new one that does support the EM1mk2.

                https://petapixel.com/2017/01/03/fre...-point-photos/


                The only frustrating thing is that you have to close it and reopen again for each image, you can't simply step through your images.

                Final point it only works on Mac
                Last edited by wornish; 2nd June 2017, 07:47 AM. Reason: added point
                Dave

                My Flickr

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: C-AF disappointing

                  Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                  I was able to test the E-M1 Mark 2 body once more (last) time after explaining a possible reason behind my earlier disappointment.

                  I used L-FPS this time, and indeed it seems that you are right in that C-AF does not work with H-FPS. A quick look at the results indicates that some are quite good. Will take some time to develop and evaluate, and when done I will share some photos later for you to feedback.

                  I have a quick question: is there an easy way to find out which AF point that was actually used for each frame (and ideally visualize it in Lightroom)?

                  Thanks

                  Tord
                  Good. Glad you are getting somewhere. It is crazy of Olympus to allow such confusion to be possible with their cameras. They must lose loads of business when people try out their cameras in the shop.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: C-AF disappointing

                    Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                    I have a quick question: is there an easy way to find out which AF point that was actually used for each frame (and ideally visualize it in Lightroom)?

                    Thanks
                    Tord
                    The quick way is in camera. Go to view and press info button until it shows the display with the histogram. The focus point should show as a small green square.
                    John

                    OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: C-AF disappointing

                      Below are some samples showing what the camera is capable of:
                      (already posted in other thread, posting here as well)



                      C-AF (non-TR)
                      L-FPS
                      5 central AF points.
                      C-AF Release prio OFF
                      C-AF lock normal (0 on the scale -2 ... +2)
                      These are with the m.Zuiko 300 at F/4.


                      These birds are really swift and the time from they start diving until they emerge and take off is really short . With FPS set at 10 you will get maybe 5 frames from point of impact until subject is out of frame even when doing your best to track them. Typically the camera would produce 2 frames with correct focus, at some occasions it managed to keep focus throughout the sequence. All sequences, half a dozen of them, had at least one good frame. Quite impressive I must say.

                      Still I need to figure out how to make C-AF + TR work the way I imagine it should work - lock the target and keep it in focus.






                      My Gallery on 500px

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: C-AF disappointing

                        Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                        Below are some samples showing what the camera is capable of:
                        (already posted in other thread, posting here as well)



                        C-AF (non-TR)
                        L-FPS
                        5 central AF points.
                        C-AF Release prio OFF
                        C-AF lock normal (0 on the scale -2 ... +2)
                        These are with the m.Zuiko 300 at F/4.


                        These birds are really swift and the time from they start diving until they emerge and take off is really short . With FPS set at 10 you will get maybe 5 frames from point of impact until subject is out of frame even when doing your best to track them. Typically the camera would produce 2 frames with correct focus, at some occasions it managed to keep focus throughout the sequence. All sequences, half a dozen of them, had at least one good frame. Quite impressive I must say.

                        Still I need to figure out how to make C-AF + TR work the way I imagine it should work - lock the target and keep it in focus.

                        ...


                        Bravo! But save yourself the effort with C-AF + Tr. It isn't reliable. I never use it. Fo r bif againsta clear sky, All-points with cluster display works very well and tracks the subject far better. If the background is cluttered, you can sometimes use the focus limiter to isolate the subject from the foreground and background whilst using all points.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: C-AF disappointing

                          Hi Tony,

                          This AF limiter feature sounds quite useful for this application area. Will try.
                          Also just found the AF Target display, well hidden/disguised as "ON2".

                          Thanks
                          Tord

                          My Gallery on 500px

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: C-AF disappointing

                            Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                            Hi Tony,

                            This AF limiter feature sounds quite useful for this application area. Will try.
                            Also just found the AF Target display, well hidden/disguised as "ON2".

                            Thanks
                            Tord
                            I have set my AF limiter up as a function button. By default, when I press it, it limits focus to to between 10m and 70m. This is for use with the 300 f/4 with/without teleconverter. If the bird is closer than 10m, I will probably not be able to follow it. If the bird is more than 70m away, I probably won't want the photo anyway! For a "record" shot, I just press the function button to revert to the full focus range. Note that the focus limiter switch on the lens has to be in the central position (ie full focus range) for any of this to work.

                            I use the focus limiter with 5, 9 and all points as it helps to stop the AF wandering off when there is something else in the frame and/or I drift of the subject. The limiter is a bit fuzzy in that the minimum and maximum focus distances are not exact but, with a bit of experimentation, it can be a useful addition.

                            When I press the function button the first time, the EVF displays "C-AF Limit" and when I press it again, it displays just "C-AF" so I always know where I am.

                            Hope that helps!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: C-AF disappointing

                              Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                              Hi Tony,

                              This AF limiter feature sounds quite useful for this application area. Will try.
                              Yes, good idea.

                              However...
                              ...a trouble I foresee with this in some real-life situations is that you'd be happily waiting with your AF limiter set for those pretty Pochards to fly in front of the reeds, when you suddenly spotted 4 bitterns, 2 water rails and a decoration of reed buntings peering out from among the reedy background for 10 seconds (before disappearing forever).

                              Cue frantic scrabble with the camera controls to allow it to focus on them (although you might think to have something suitable set up on a 'C' or button, I suppose).

                              [I see that Tony has already provided one version of a solution, but it is another complication to remember, especially for a camera used for multiple types of photography!)
                              Regards,
                              Mark

                              ------------------------------
                              http://www.microcontrast.com
                              Too much Oly gear.
                              Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                              Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X