Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AF not as accurate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: AF not as accurate

    He means AF Sensitivity, and I think he means -2. (The name changed with later firmware)


    I personally think +2 (High) is better, if you can keep the subject in the focus point. If you can't then yes, 0 or -1 or even -2 (Low) may be better.


    The lower settings means it waits a bit before refocussing.

    Comment


    • Re: AF not as accurate

      Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
      He means AF Sensitivity, and I think he means -2. (The name changed with later firmware)


      I personally think +2 (High) is better, if you can keep the subject in the focus point. If you can't then yes, 0 or -1 or even -2 (Low) may be better.


      The lower settings means it waits a bit before refocussing.

      Thanks i did wonder if that was it, thinking now it may not be the C-AF as such ime struggling with,i have always used IS to give me a steadier image to keep the single focus point where i want it,noticed today my 100-400 has an intermittent problem where after settling it jitters again.
      It happened on still subjects which allowed me to notice it.

      Comment


      • Re: AF not as accurate

        Originally posted by mik View Post
        Sorry to drag an old thread up but a lot of info in it.

        I am struggling with C-AF not saying it isn't me but i could do it on Panasonic, so i am thinking part new camera and part settings.
        I can catch BIF with S-AF but of course not getting such a steam of shots to choose from.
        Again possibly me and the menu system/wording but what is this AF Lock you have set at -5.

        Thanks
        Useful page: http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/prod...2/feature.html
        Regards,
        Mark

        ------------------------------
        http://www.microcontrast.com
        Too much Oly gear.
        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

        Comment


        • Re: AF not as accurate

          Well ime still getting failures i dont understand, i have the shutter set for focus priority but still get a lot of images like this, which i cant see is miss focus.







          Comment


          • Re: AF not as accurate

            Sorry about using two posts but i couldnt get these into the other post, these are also from today, when it works its great.


            P5190059 by electric.mike, on Flickr


            P5190142 by electric.mike, on Flickr


            P5190144 by electric.mike, on Flickr


            Not sure where to look for the solution

            Comment


            • Re: AF not as accurate

              Originally posted by mik View Post
              Well ime still getting failures i dont understand, i have the shutter set for focus priority but still get a lot of images like this, which i cant see is miss focus.

              Not sure if these account for the 'mis-focus' (which may not be a C-AF related problem) but -
              Unlike the further 3 examples in your subsequent post (were the bird is crossing your field of view), this bird is flying towards you - so the focus distance is changing swiftly.
              Your shutter speed was only 1/400 - which is probably too slow to freeze this motion.
              Also, you are using an aperture of F8, so there will be some further delay between focus 'lock' and the iris closing for the shutter to operate - which would also contribute to the 'mis-focus'.

              I notice that in your subsequent post the shutter speeds are much higher (1/1250 & 1/1600) and the aperture was F5.6.
              Hope this helps.
              Chris

              Comment


              • Re: AF not as accurate

                Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                Not sure if these account for the 'mis-focus' (which may not be a C-AF related problem) but -
                Unlike the further 3 examples in your subsequent post (were the bird is crossing your field of view), this bird is flying towards you - so the focus distance is changing swiftly.
                Your shutter speed was only 1/400 - which is probably too slow to freeze this motion.
                Also, you are using an aperture of F8, so there will be some further delay between focus 'lock' and the iris closing for the shutter to operate - which would also contribute to the 'mis-focus'.

                I notice that in your subsequent post the shutter speeds are much higher (1/1250 & 1/1600) and the aperture was F5.6.
                Hope this helps.

                Thanks, the 400th was because i swung on to it from something else and that would account for the f8 as ime on auto iso and it dropped to 200 for it.
                What i cant understand is why isnt there a point of focus on the water at some point and why did it allow me to release the shutter with nothing in focus, that is a pooor example though i should have spent more time digging in the trash can for an example, if i get any today that show me doing everything right but still fail i will post one.



                You have made me wonder though as ime using S the lens could be stopping down sometimes, i will try M.

                Comment


                • Re: AF not as accurate

                  Originally posted by mik View Post
                  What i cant understand is why isnt there a point of focus on the water at some point and why did it allow me to release the shutter with nothing in focus,...

                  You have made me wonder though as ime using S the lens could be stopping down sometimes, i will try M.
                  Mike,
                  I think at the FL you used (224mm) the field of view is such that where the plane of focus intersects the waterline would fall below the bottom edge of the image frame - hence no water in focus.
                  The camera would have acquired focus - but at 1/400, assuming the pigeon may have been travelling at ~30mph (= 44ft/sec) whilst the shutter was open the pigeon would have moved > 1 inch towards you, thus resulting in motion blur.

                  My preference is to use M mode & Auto-ISO for action shots. In this mode you can also use the Function Lever to enable Exp-Comp adjustment if you know in advance that the main subject will be particularly light or dark.
                  Chris

                  Comment


                  • Re: AF not as accurate

                    Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                    Mike,
                    I think at the FL you used (224mm) the field of view is such that where the plane of focus intersects the waterline would fall below the bottom edge of the image frame - hence no water in focus.
                    The camera would have acquired focus - but at 1/400, assuming the pigeon may have been travelling at ~30mph (= 44ft/sec) whilst the shutter was open the pigeon would have moved > 1 inch towards you, thus resulting in motion blur.

                    My preference is to use M mode & Auto-ISO for action shots. In this mode you can also use the Function Lever to enable Exp-Comp adjustment if you know in advance that the main subject will be particularly light or dark.

                    Thanks again i hadnt thought about where the focus plane would be, good catch.
                    Today i went back to single point which gave me great results with the Panasonic, i have been trying 5 and 9 with the Olympus.
                    Dont know if thats where my problem has been but ime a lot happier with the results, ok it takes a bit more getting but the shot below is a small target and the bird was off the focus point by the time the picture was taken.



                    Comment


                    • Re: AF not as accurate

                      The pictures should be the other way round, cant get this loading from gallery

                      Comment


                      • Re: AF not as accurate

                        Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                        My preference is to use M mode & Auto-ISO for action shots. In this mode you can also use the Function Lever to enable Exp-Comp adjustment if you know in advance that the main subject will be particularly light or dark.
                        It’s impossible I think to have one method that’s always best under all circumstances, and knowing and practising your setup is best whichever you go for.
                        I know a lot of experienced people do use manual with auto iso and I have tried it, but that doesn’t work well for me at a lot of places like Bempton Cliffs, where you’ve got birds against sky, then suddenly flying against sea and cliff, then flying from there out of the sun in to the shade of the cliff.

                        I usually find I’m better setting an appropriate ISO at the beginning to give me an adequate shutter speed in all of those conditions, then use AP and make all the adjustments with the exposure compensation dial. I’ve got better at predicting what compensation will work, and you’ve only got one control to move. The M1ii’s greater exposure latitude compared to the M1i I find helps a lot.

                        If the composition changes sufficiently to require greater depth of field I’ve got my thumb on the rear dial free to zip the aperture up immediately.

                        I find using the lever to switch the dial functions a fiddle (mainly because I’m very left-eye dominent and my face gets in the way).

                        So, I’d say find a way that seems to work for you and then practice it. Of course it’s when something major changes suddenly that the men are really sorted out from the boys (like, say, when you’ve been shooting gannets flying 25m overhead in the sun against bright clouds and you’ve closed down a stop to increase dof, and suddenly someone spots a Great Skua 100m away flying close over waves in the shade of the cliffs, and 10s later it’ll have disappeared around the headland...).
                        Regards,
                        Mark

                        ------------------------------
                        http://www.microcontrast.com
                        Too much Oly gear.
                        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

                        Comment


                        • Re: AF not as accurate

                          This is why I think it's harder for the amateur than for the professional photographer. The Pro has a specific assignment to fulfil and can set everything up with that objective in mind.

                          The amateur wants to capture anything interesting that happens and neither he nor his camera knows what that will be While it's great having a camera with loads of options, it can be very difficult to find the right one in a hurry and that's where experience and practise are so important.

                          I find the three C modes on the dial are one of the best additions to the M1-ii, one of which I set for BIF. My main problem is in remembering which setting is which
                          Mike
                          visit my Natural History Photos website:
                          http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

                          Comment


                          • Re: AF not as accurate

                            Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                            This is why I think it's harder for the amateur than for the professional photographer. The Pro has a specific assignment to fulfil and can set everything up with that objective in mind.

                            The amateur wants to capture anything interesting that happens and neither he nor his camera knows what that will be While it's great having a camera with loads of options, it can be very difficult to find the right one in a hurry and that's where experience and practise are so important.

                            I find the three C modes on the dial are one of the best additions to the M1-ii, one of which I set for BIF. My main problem is in remembering which setting is which
                            Regards,
                            Mark

                            ------------------------------
                            http://www.microcontrast.com
                            Too much Oly gear.
                            Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                            Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

                            Comment


                            • Re: AF not as accurate

                              OK could have a bit more bite but pretty close, these where not on single point though, i used all points for these.


                              P5210135 by electric.mike, on Flickr


                              P5210132 by electric.mike, on Flickr

                              Comment


                              • Re: AF not as accurate

                                These are very good. They move at some speed.
                                Dave

                                My Flickr

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X