Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

High Res shot and studio flash - not working on EM1 Mk2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Res shot and studio flash - not working on EM1 Mk2

I'm having problems triggering studio flash in high res mode on the EM1 Mk2. I have no issues at all using an EM5 Mk2. I also have no issues triggering the lights in single shot mode (with the EM1 mk2)

My settings are 30sec delay and 2 sec charge time.

Anyone else having this issue or able to help please?

Thanks in advance

Re: High Res shot and studio flash - not working on EM1 Mk2

I posted this on DP Review and someone else responded and is having the same problem. It would be appreciated if any EM1 Mk2 owners out there could try any flash, hot shoe mounted or studio lights, in high res mode and report back

Thanks again.

Comment

I noticed the other day that flash doesn't work with the the electronic shutter.
      I've not played with the high res mode as yet but assume it uses the electronic shutter.
      May be I have a setting wrong for flash but I'm not a great flash user.
      All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by andym View Post
        I noticed the other day that flash doesn't work with the the electronic shutter.
        I've not played with the high res mode as yet but assume it uses the electronic shutter.
        May be I have a setting wrong for flash but I'm not a great flash user.
        I'm a bit confused with the EM1 Mk2 menu, as the anti shock option has been removed. Now only have the silent shooting option, which is known to disable flash.

I feel like packing the camera up and sending it back to be honest. If this is a bug, I'm flabbergasted that a flagship model, aimed at professionals, has been released without testing. After all, the high res mode is advertised as being perfect for product photography in the studio!

Comment

Have you looked "gear"-"D1"-"Settings" you might be able to turn "anti0shock" on

Comment

Originally posted by pault View Post
            Have you looked "gear"-"D1"-"Settings" you might be able to turn "anti0shock" on
            Thanks Paul, only had the camera for a few days and been working through the manual and hadn't realised that certain options can be hidden.

Is the anti shock option using the electronic shutter?
            I know that the silent mode uses electronic shutter and cannot be used with flash.

Comment

As I know Anti-shock uses mechanical shutter

Comment

That would explain why I can use flash with anti shock shutter.

Comment

You can set flash for use with silent shutter, but it is set to off by default. Just enable it in the menu.
                  Stuff from Cuba
                  More stuff from Cuba
                  It all started here

Comment

Thanks, for a minute wondered if that might have solved the flash not working in high res mode but alas, it still won't fire.

Comment

Have you checked:

"Camera settings limitations: shutter speed not longer than 8 sec, aperture not narrower than F8, ISO not higher than 1600 and flash sync not faster than 1/50sec (previously in E-M5 Mark II or PEN-F, flash sync limit was 1/20sec)"
                      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Thanks Graham but everything is set correctly (as far as I know). Shutter speed 1/50th (have tried with 1/20th too), ISO 200 and f5.6. The high res shot actually completes, but it won't trigger the flash. I've even tried the little Olympus flash on the hot shoe and it won't fire. Flash fires fine in single shot mode.

This really has me beat.

Comment

Does the flash fire in high speed silent mode?
                          Stuff from Cuba
                          More stuff from Cuba
                          It all started here

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
                            Does the flash fire in high speed silent mode?

Just checked that and no it doesn't fire the flash in high speed silent.

What significance would that have?

Comment

Is there a setting for flash in both H and L modes? Don't have the camera with me so I can't check.
                              Stuff from Cuba
                              More stuff from Cuba
                              It all started here

Comment

Working...
                              X