Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Remote shutter release.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Remote shutter release.

    I also bought a Canon RS-60E3 and costs 18€, OLYMPUS EM1.2's release shutter cable with 2.5Pin Jack is RM-CB2 and costs 65-80€ here in Greece.

    https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/...cb2/index.html

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Remote shutter release.

      Many have in the past purchased the RM-UC1 to accompany our beloved olympus cameras. (I got a compatible)


      The New OMD EM1ii have moved to a different socket. So being a miser, I decide to hack my old RM-UC1. If you do not have or own or have sold older models that uses the USB connector for remote,you can cut the USB connector totally off. But I kept mine as I still use the MK1.

      Bought the 2.5mm stereo plug


      From about 100mm of the USB plug, Cut off about 20mm of the covering to expose the 3 wires inside.


      Just to confirm the required positions of the 3 wires, I removed the back of the trigger to check the wires.

      Yellow being the common, White for focus and Red for shutter.
      This may differ from different makers.

      Then carefully remove about 5mm of the individual wiring insulation.


      Carefully solder to the 2.5mm plug


      I use hot shrink to cover the plug ends.


      The completed remote now looks like this


      Hack is at your own risk.
      * Henry
      * Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
      * Malaysia


      All my garbage so far.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Remote shutter release.

        Nice one!

        John

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Remote shutter release.

          Cheapest I've found on the UK for the Canon RS-60E3 is Calumet, who sold me one at the Photo Show for 13 quid.

          It's nice and small and the lip around the plug has a rubberised coating, which I suspect will provide some weather proofing as long as it's pushed fully home.

          I do use the phone app as well, but having a physical button to press is a lot easier when it's freezing cold or pi$$ing down.
          Regards,
          Mark

          ------------------------------
          http://www.microcontrast.com
          Too much Oly gear.
          Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
          Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Remote shutter release.

            Genuine fake one on eBay for a tenner...

            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ca...3D162427311382
            Stuff from Cuba
            More stuff from Cuba
            It all started here

            Comment


            • #21
              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Shu...D/251400398812

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Remote shutter release.

                Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                Cheapest I've found on the UK for the Canon RS-60E3 is Calumet, who sold me one at the Photo Show for 13 quid.

                It's nice and small and the lip around the plug has a rubberised coating, which I suspect will provide some weather proofing as long as it's pushed fully home.

                I do use the phone app as well, but having a physical button to press is a lot easier when it's freezing cold or pi$$ing down.
                Funny this. I have a Canon RS-60E3 and it don't fit the camera.
                sigpicDave

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Remote shutter release.

                  Originally posted by sapper View Post
                  Funny this. I have a Canon RS-60E3 and it don't fit the camera.
                  Buy a fake one then - they work fine!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Remote shutter release.

                    Originally posted by sapper View Post
                    Funny this. I have a Canon RS-60E3 and it don't fit the camera.
                    Are you sure you're using the right socket, Dave? When I first tried mine I thought I'd ballsed up and got the wrong one, but then I realised it fits in the socket under the rubber cover beneath the shutter release on the right hand face of the body...
                    That has the great advantage of not being obstructed by a L-plate.
                    Regards,
                    Mark

                    ------------------------------
                    http://www.microcontrast.com
                    Too much Oly gear.
                    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Remote shutter release.

                      Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                      Are you sure you're using the right socket, Dave? When I first tried mine I thought I'd ballsed up and got the wrong one, but then I realised it fits in the socket under the rubber cover beneath the shutter release on the right hand face of the body...
                      That has the great advantage of not being obstructed by a L-plate.
                      Ooops, wrong hole.
                      sigpicDave

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Remote shutter release.

                        Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
                        Buy a fake one then - they work fine!
                        Please don't call compatibles fake Unless they are printed with the brand and all but not.
                        * Henry
                        * Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
                        * Malaysia


                        All my garbage so far.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Remote shutter release.

                          Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                          Please don't call compatibles fake Unless they are printed with the brand and all but not.
                          Absolutely.

                          Steve
                          Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                          Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                          My website

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Remote shutter release.

                            Originally posted by wanderer View Post
                            At the demo I went to, I asked the question. The reply was download an app and all camera actions can be worked wirelessly from the phone including live view. Interestingly you still have to turn the camera on manually! Otherwise set the camera on delayed release.
                            If this means the Olympus OI Share app, then (unless I have an old version) it controls only a few of the main shooting parameters. It does offer live view though which can be nice. It doesn't offer control of the menu system. From memory it's just aperture, shutter mode and shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, selecting a focus point and triggering the shutter.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Remote shutter release.

                              Great news that my Pentax K3 cable will be the only thing I keep when switching to the E-M1 mark 2.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Remote shutter release.

                                Originally posted by sapper View Post
                                Ooops, wrong hole.
                                That's exactly what I did, I even bought a different cheapo brand of cable from Amazon.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X