Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

    In case you aren't aware of this there is a booking page here:

    http://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/...-preview-days/

    Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

    I didn't realise there is a demo day at WEX in Norwich today. I think I had better give it a wide berth and go out to take some photos instead. There is no point in tormenting myself. I will be interested to read other people's opinions about the camera though.

    Ron

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

      Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
      I didn't realise there is a demo day at WEX in Norwich today. I think I had better give it a wide berth and go out to take some photos instead. There is no point in tormenting myself. I will be interested to read other people's opinions about the camera though.

      Ron
      I just saw that and put the car keys out of reach! Might go to Wicken Fen this afternoon instead...
      I didn’t get where I am today....

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

        I just spent a pleasant 1/2 hour in cameraworld in London with a nice lady called Clare who let me play with the mk II and a selection of lenses...

        Very nice... But

        Would need quite a bit of setup to customize the menus and buttons to what I am used to (reference other thread)

        With the 12-100 its not a lot lighter than my E-30 with 14-54 I normally carry around, but if you consider the video camera I also carry on holidays it's a lot less overall

        Not able to try the old 4/3 lens today as there wasn't an adapter to hand

        I wish I had not got so much invested in the older system

        I also heard that the first shipment pre orders are going well. Cash deposited preorders get priority

        Second shipment to the UK will be in January

        Regards
        Andy
        My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
        4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
        m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
        FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
        The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

        My places
        http://www.shenstone.me.uk
        http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
        https://vimeo.com/shenstone
        http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

          Originally posted by shenstone View Post
          I just spent a pleasant 1/2 hour in cameraworld in London with a nice lady called Clare who let me play with the mk II and a selection of lenses...

          Very nice... But

          Would need quite a bit of setup to customize the menus and buttons to what I am used to (reference other thread)

          With the 12-100 its not a lot lighter than my E-30 with 14-54 I normally carry around, but if you consider the video camera I also carry on holidays it's a lot less overall

          Not able to try the old 4/3 lens today as there wasn't an adapter to hand

          I wish I had not got so much invested in the older system

          I also heard that the first shipment pre orders are going well. Cash deposited preorders get priority

          Second shipment to the UK will be in January

          Regards
          Andy
          I think I'd challenge that!

          Ian
          Founder and editor of:
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

            Been to Wex Photographic - Norwich, was made very welcome by Dave, from Olympus and given lots of time to handle the new camera. Had a great demo and he answered many questions from another gentleman and myself. I've just come home being seriously impressed with this camera and wanting one !

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

              I went to Wicken Fen rather than Norwich and missed two fantastic photo opportunities because the camera wouldn't focus on the moving targets

              I should have gone to Norwich!

              Campkins in Cambridge have an event, but they're so grumpy in there I often walk out (even though I've bought quite a bit from them) and unfortunately I'll be in Glasgow that day
              I didn’t get where I am today....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

                Originally posted by Ian View Post
                I think I'd challenge that!

                Ian
                E-30 with 14-54 1203g
                Em1 II with 12-100 1134g
                difference 69g

                not much in my opinion...
                My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

                My places
                http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

                  Ian, I'm not sure you need to book for any of these? I didn't. I went to LCE Reading yesterday, where Chris was helpful, but admitted he wasn't a serious photographer, and only had the 12-40. I tried my non-SWD 50-200, which seemed to make the EVF go very slow at times in the darker corners, but it may not represent the production version. My 4/3 12-60 was fine, and maybe a tad quicker than on the E-M1. My 4/3 f4 7-14 definitely seemed quicker.

                  He showed me some 60fps bursts of pigeons grabbing food from his hand. Even though they were shot in iAuto, they captured the action well. You can certainly hack through the shutter activations at at speed, but I guess if you are using the electronic shutter, you aren't wearing out the shutter curtain.

                  It was nice in the hand, but for my kind of shooting, I'm not convinced the premium is worth it until the price drops significantly, and I'm still happy with the E-M1. The larger grip made me think I could dispense with the grip if I got one. A good thing as they aren't giving them away at the moment, and the price is silly!
                  Bruce

                  http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

                    Originally posted by Walti View Post
                    Campkins in Cambridge have an event, but they're so grumpy in there I often walk out (even though I've bought quite a bit from them) and unfortunately I'll be in Glasgow that day
                    I don't know what you are doing on Wednesday but Photosound in Bishop's Stortford are having their event that day so only 30mins down the line from Cambridge. They have always been very polite and helpful to me despite not buying much from them over the years. I went there last year for another Oly launch event and nearly bought one as Clare offered to do my wedding photos for free if I bought one (Em10 MkII I think) but I told her that I was waiting for the EM1 MkII. I'll be there on Wednesday but I might leave the wallet in the office.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

                      Originally posted by Willom View Post
                      I don't know what you are doing on Wednesday but Photosound in Bishop's Stortford are having their event that day so only 30mins down the line from Cambridge. They have always been very polite and helpful to me despite not buying much from them over the years. I went there last year for another Oly launch event and nearly bought one as Clare offered to do my wedding photos for free if I bought one (Em10 MkII I think) but I told her that I was waiting for the EM1 MkII. I'll be there on Wednesday but I might leave the wallet in the office.
                      Not on the Olympus website... Never mind, as I fly up to Glasgow Wednesday morning and return Thursday evening, LCE in Norwich have an event, so I may try and get across for that, although I'm booked to be at the LUX live exhibition that day.
                      I didn’t get where I am today....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        David

                        EM1ii, EM10ii

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

                          Originally posted by Walti View Post
                          Not on the Olympus website... Never mind, as I fly up to Glasgow Wednesday morning and return Thursday evening, LCE in Norwich have an event, so I may try and get across for that, although I'm booked to be at the LUX live exhibition that day.
                          Many apologies but I made a bit of a balls up, the event was last Wednesday. I felt like a right muppet after I'd asked at the shop today . Last weeks event was cancelled and it will be rescheduled for a later date. I will let you know when I know.

                          Will

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

                            Campaigns in Cambridge have another event on 10th December - having had another frustrating BooFiF attempt, it sounds like I need to look...


                            (Birds Out Of Focus In Flight)
                            I didn’t get where I am today....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: E-M1 Mark II UK introductory events

                              Just had a demo at Jessops in Glasgow this morning.
                              Very impressed. Definitely a clear step up from the Mk 1. I think Santa might get me one.
                              I asked, why no remote as per the E-5 and was given a demo of wi-fi using a smartphone. Again impressive, all camera functions available on phone including switch off (but not on?). Looks like I'll have to get a better phone. Unfortunately its still the same un-smart operator.
                              No 300mm to view but the 12-100mm looks a cracker. I would put the size closer to the 4/3 14-54mm rather than the 12-60mm. Which means it is very compact. Although compactness can be a virtue I find the E-M1 Mk 1 a bit fiddly. The Mk 2 is a little bigger and feels good. (and I don't have big hands)
                              I was also impressed by the IS and the High Res facilities.
                              I'll wait until I use it to evaluate the battery life. Showing a percentage of power left is much better than 3 bars on a battery.
                              Silent shutter takes a bit of getting used to but could be useful. I take pictures of people speaking at meetings, press calls, etc. and feel embarrassed hearing click, click over the worrds.
                              Duncan

                              Lots of toys.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X