Upgrade to weather sealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to weather sealed

I've been thinking about this for a while, but this week in Skye has convinced me I need a weather sealed body instead of my 10mk2, especially as 95% of what I do is landscape.

I will go second hand to maximise what I can get for the money and will have a limited budget, say 400 - 500 for a body.

The obvious choice, it seems, is a 5mk2, and although that gets me water resistant, it doesn't give me much else does it? I'm not sure I want to splash the cash without getting a little something extra too...
    A 1mk2 would be ideal, as it would also give the sensor improvement and some nice functionality. But that's strong money wise even 2nd hand at the moment.
    Not sure about 1mk1, but that's the same reasons against as the 5mk2 I guess.

There's also the unlikely option of selling up (body+grip + 12-40 + 75-300 + pana 35-100) and jumping ship with whatever that raises. But not sure what that would get me or what I'd fancy, Fuji perhaps, but I'd want it to be mirrorless and weather sealed.

I realise that's just a load of rambling without any actual questions! but feel free to throw in any thoughts that might help me along!
    Junk on Flickr
    Even more Junk on Instagram

Re: Upgrade to weather sealed

My view - the original E-M1 (or "Mark I" as it was never called until there was a Mark II) is incredibly cheap on the used market and superb value. It was the top of the range Pro body until a couple of years ago and hasn't got worse. Then you can keep all your current lenses, and if you have money to spare invest in a 60mmm macro or a UWA prime such as Samyang 7.5mm fisheye. The only significant feature on the E-M5 ii which is not on the old E-M1 is Hi Res. If that's important to you then there may be an argument for E-M5 ii. As you say, E-M1 ii is out of your budget, even a used bargain.

Comment

Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Thanks both of you, valuable opinions to take on board. I do quite a bit of long exposure stuff. I'd also like to keep live composite, which favours the em5mkii. There's a little used example on TP at the moment that's tempting.
        Junk on Flickr

Comment

Apologies for highjacking your thread, but I've been considering a 12-40mm f2.8 lens for some time, and been thinking the best way to get a non-grey import lens at a reasonable price might be to get an OMD EM5 Mk 2/12-40 kit at a good price when the opportunity arose.

That should provide me with the lens I want at decent (lowest in 2 years) price, plus a brand new EM5 MK 2 at secondhand price to replace my old EM5 Mk 1 as my second camera (other body is EM1 Mk 2), with the possibility of reducing the outlay by disposing of the 'old EM5 Mk1.

So discussion here regarding merits of EM5 Mk2, and downsides of EM1 Mk 1 have been relevant to my considerations of aquiring that new lens plus a new second (but not too big) camera body for the best overall price - I did consider a secondhand EM1 Mk 1.

I think I've spotted a good deal, and have used the EM5 Mk 2 briefly at an event, but was just seeking some assurances it's okay before clicking the make payment button.

Comment

Sounds a good plan. I love the 12-40, it's hardly ever off my camera
            Junk on Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X