Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

GF6 for infra-red conversion?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HELP! GF6 for infra-red conversion?

    An acquaintance is offering me a Panasonic GF6 in used but VG condition (around 5000 actuations) at a good price, including a few extras.

    I've been wanting to get an IR m4/3 conversion for some time, and I could use this with my Panny 12-35 f2.8 (has IS, and reportedly gives good results with IR).

    Anyone know any issues with IR on the GF6, or common general problems with these bodies?

    I'd get it converted at ACS in Norfolk, but I see that LifePixel in the US actually give do-it-yourself instructions for how to convert a GF6 on their website so I assume it's a straightforward job.

    Thanks for any thoughts.

    If I go for this I'm sure I'll be back asking about what type of conversion to go for...
    Regards,
    Mark

    ------------------------------
    http://www.microcontrast.com
    Too much Oly gear.
    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

  • #2
    Re: GF6 for infra-red conversion?

    If you go for the ACS conversion, the camera is cleaned, repaired and adjusted if necessary. It also comes with a guarantee. Yes self conversion is cheaper, BUT there’s no guarantee you’ll get it right. I’m not saying you’re not capable though!

    Whichever you go for, my choice would be for the 720nm filter. It gives you false colours and you have the option of converting it to B&W. If you go for the 830nm, a B&W only, you don’t have that choice.

    That’s my two pence worth anyway.
    Regards - Paul

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: GF6 for infra-red conversion?

      Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
      An acquaintance is offering me a Panasonic GF6 in used but VG condition (around 5000 actuations) at a good price, including a few extras.

      I've been wanting to get an IR m4/3 conversion for some time, and I could use this with my Panny 12-35 f2.8 (has IS, and reportedly gives good results with IR).

      Anyone know any issues with IR on the GF6, or common general problems with these bodies?

      I'd get it converted at ACS in Norfolk, but I see that LifePixel in the US actually give do-it-yourself instructions for how to convert a GF6 on their website so I assume it's a straightforward job.

      Thanks for any thoughts.

      If I go for this I'm sure I'll be back asking about what type of conversion to go for...
      ..."straightforward job"?!

      Heart valve surgery looks straightforward, just a plumbing job and no need to be 'gas safe'. Ok I'm guessing here, but I suspect there's a few DIY videos showing the ins and outs; out with the old, in with the pig's... Personally I would prefer for someone to practise on another's before touching mine.
      Steve

      on flickr

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: GF6 for infra-red conversion?

        Yes, many thanks for the input.

        I certainly wasn't suggesting I was going to chance my arm at it, just that LifePixel assess it as within the capabilities of amateurs so it must be straightforward for pros!

        I certainly want to be able to do both mono and false colour images.
        Regards,
        Mark

        ------------------------------
        http://www.microcontrast.com
        Too much Oly gear.
        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: GF6 for infra-red conversion?

          Yes, get it done professionally. With either ACS, or Protech Photographic in Sussex, who did my latest conversion, and had it back to me in 5 days, including a bank holiday monday! Very impressed.

          If you want the false colour option, 720 is the best to go for, unless you really want to be able to do bright golden foliage for some reason, then 590 is the one for that.

          I started dabbling on a Canon Sureshot at 720, and wasn't entirely happy with either the false colour I could get, or the B&W conversions from it. But then I also had no clue about processing at that point. I've still got a 590 EM-10 mkI, which gives stronger colour options, but I found over time I was gravitating towards B&W as my preferred IR option, and again, wasn't 100% happy with converting to B&W from 590. I may still do some false colour someday, so have hung onto this body, but good B&W was now my goal.

          So my latest venture is to have had my spare body (a Pen-F) converted at 830. Yes, it only does B&W, but that's what I want from it, and it's doing a superb job SOOC so far, with no messy fiddling about with channel swapping and all that stuff.

          It's horses for courses, really, depending on what you want. 720 gives you different options, until you either decide that's right for you, or that you want to go longer or shorter wavelength with the next one. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing the output!
          Margaret

          my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: GF6 for infra-red conversion?

            I should add that of course there's also the 'full spectrum' option, where they just remove whatever-it-is they remove, and don't add any internal filter. You can then add different wavelength filters to the front of the lens (like normal filters) to give you a working 720, or 590, or 830 or whatever, IR camera. Or indeed, normal light camera.

            Not sure I'd do that myself, as you then need filters for all your lenses if they're different thread sizes, but it does give a very flexible range of options on the same body.
            Margaret

            my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: GF6 for infra-red conversion?

              Originally posted by MargaretR View Post
              but I found over time I was gravitating towards B&W as my preferred IR option, and again, wasn't 100% happy with converting to B&W from 590.
              That's what I found, too.

              Originally posted by MargaretR View Post
              I should add that of course there's also the 'full spectrum' option, where they just remove whatever-it-is they remove, and don't add any internal filter. You can then add different wavelength filters to the front of the lens (like normal filters) to give you a working 720, or 590, or 830 or whatever, IR camera.
              I found that a complete and utter pain.
              Regards - Paul

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: GF6 for infra-red conversion?

                Originally posted by MargaretR View Post
                I should add that of course there's also the 'full spectrum' option, where they just remove whatever-it-is they remove, and don't add any internal filter. You can then add different wavelength filters to the front of the lens (like normal filters) to give you a working 720, or 590, or 830 or whatever, IR camera. Or indeed, normal light camera.

                Not sure I'd do that myself, as you then need filters for all your lenses if they're different thread sizes, but it does give a very flexible range of options on the same body.
                My model is a full spectrum converted one, and I really think anything else for mirrorless cameras is limiting the options needlessly. If it's done properly the hot mirror will be replaced with quartz (clear glass gives 2 spectrum as it blocks UV). Leaving the filter off completely affects the focusing. I tried that on the old compact camera I converted myself - which remains a close-up only camera till I do it again...

                FWIW You don't need filters for all your lenses - stepping rings prevent that. In addition you can often simply hold a filter in front of the lens too. That's what I did today while testing a series of 30+ lighting gels, and it's worked well with lenses that don't have any filter threads like the 9mm BCL.
                Mike
                Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
                Flickr

                Comment


                • #9
                  Regards,
                  Mark

                  ------------------------------
                  http://www.microcontrast.com
                  Too much Oly gear.
                  Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                  Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X