Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Moving to Microfourthirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Microfourthirds

A fellow photographer is moving into the world of Microfourthirds. She have been using the Stylus 1 for over 2 years and have always been hitting the limitations of the smaller sensor and is now ready to move to a bigger camera.

Budget is a constrain. As of now, she have booked a used 40-150/2.8 and a 12-40/2.8. The only thing now is a suitable body to complete the move.

To me, I do not advice on the EM1mk2 as I do not foresee her using any of the 4/3 lenses. So the lack of Phase Focus should not be a problem.

EM5mk2. At the moment, that is already over 2 years old and a new release should be anytime soon. I don't want to introduce her to it as she would me should Oly announce the mk3 before the year is out.

EM10mk3. I was thinking of this as the batteries are similar (or are they not) and she should comfortably move into this.

I would like your opinion on WHY the EM10mk3 should not be the option. What are the limitations of this camera as it's entry level..but not weather sealed, not so good IS and no ProCap.

Should I ask her to wait for the EM5mk3 and meanwhile let her use my EM1mk1?

Please advice.
    EM10mk3
    0.00%
    EM5mk2
    45.45%
    EM5mk3 (wait for launch)
    9.09%
    Others
    45.45%

The poll is expired.

* Henry
    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Re: Moving to Microfourthirds

E-M10 seems a bit small for the larger lenses you have mentioned, which fit better with an E-M1
    The E-M5ii with a grip would be a good middle ground. Why wait for the mk iii - there's always a new bit of kit on the horizon. Just take the plunge and get started

Comment

Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Let her use your E-M1 mk1 for a while then analyse what she likes and doesn't like about it. This should point the way towards which of the current models would be more suitable. Of course, she might decide to get a second hand mk1 of her own, it would certainly be an appropriate size for her pro lenses and, like those lenses, it would be weather resistant to a high standard. Save some pennies towards another lens too!
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

I would also suggest a used E-M1 if the price is suitable, making sure though that the dials aren't an issue etc, but then again, anything used is always a risk.
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

When I travelled in Malaysia a few years ago, I chose to take an E-M5 because of its weather sealing, which I considered important in a tropical rainforest climate. For that reason I would not recommend the E-M10 series.

The phase-detection AF of the E-M1Mkii is not only for 4/3 lenses. It makes a big difference to the speed of the AF and its ability to track moving subjects. Since I am a wildlife photographer, these features are important to me and I quickly changed to the E-M1, after I had used the E-M5 for a while. A lot depends on what types of photography interest your friend.

If budget is important, then I think the E-M5Mkii should complement the excellent lenses she has already chosen and, with the recent version 4 firmware, adds the focus stacking feature, which I use a lot for photographing flowers.
              Mike
              visit my Natural History Photos website:
              http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

If budgetry constraints are important then the E-M5 Mk1. I would also advise to go for the E-M10 Mk ii rather than the Mk iii if this slightly smaller form factor is OK. Best thing is to get to hold one or two before making a choice.
                Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                Learn something new every day

Comment

Buy Paul’s 10ii or wait for the 5iii I’d say. I don’t see the 10iii being enough (any?) improvement over the 10ii to bother with. On the other hand a 5iii might tempt me to upgrade, weathersealing being the main reason. I’d like it to have a built in flash too, and some of the fancy bells and whistles of the top of the range stuff please Olympus
                  Junk on Flickr
                  Even more Junk on Instagram

Comment

The built in flash of the E-M10 series is fine for smaller lenses but can be too low for the Pro lenses she has, creating shadows in the image.
                    Ross
                    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Personally I have not used or tried any of the other OMDs other than the EM5mk1. It's good reading on your views on the other OMDs.

I was actually favoring the EM10 due to the similar battery to the Stylus 1. Looking at all this, it seems that the EM5 would be a better path to migrate to. I will let her decide as she can use my EM1mk1 while she decide or wait till the EM5mk3 comes along.

What I am afraid would be Oly moving away from the BLN-1 to the better BCH-1 with the mk3. While now with the EM1mk2, I only need 1 and the 2nd as a spare which I hardly need.

What about the Panny offerings? anyone using those and can comment? And the PENs?
                      * Henry
                      * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Regards,
                        Mark

------------------------------
                        http://www.microcontrast.com
                        Too much Oly gear.
                        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                          Personally I have not used or tried any of the other OMDs other than the EM5mk1. It's good reading on your views on the other OMDs.

I was actually favoring the EM10 due to the similar battery to the Stylus 1. Looking at all this, it seems that the EM5 would be a better path to migrate to. I will let her decide as she can use my EM1mk1 while she decide or wait till the EM5mk3 comes along.

What I am afraid would be Oly moving away from the BLN-1 to the better BCH-1 with the mk3. While now with the EM1mk2, I only need 1 and the 2nd as a spare which I hardly need.

What about the Panny offerings? anyone using those and can comment? And the PENs?
                          She does not want to be using those lenses on a Pen!
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Interesting question Henry. I dont have any Pen or m4/3s Panny experience. I do like the panny style in their TZ and FZ series cameras. Overall though I'd suggest going for an EM1 mk2 when the prices drop as the new model comes out. It should be a great bargain. Mind you in the meantime using your EM1 mk1 then I wouldn't be suprised if that didn't win out and be the way forward.
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
                              X