Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

extract photograph from video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extract photograph from video

Took a video and now decide to extract 1 of the many frames for printing. Is this possible?
    * Henry
    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Re: extract photograph from video

You'd probably need video-editing software to do that, but bear in mind the resolution of video frames is substantially less than full-frame so you will not get the same quality of print compared to a normal still photo.
    Regards
    Richard

Comment

IIRC you can do it with the free editing programs Virtualdub or Avidemux (Google is your friend!). You can also take a 'snapshot' with Faststone media player, and probably Irfanview - both also free.

Jim

Comment

Olympus Viewer3 will do it. Its as simple as pausing the video and clicking on extract still. Will that work with your E-330(?) videos?
        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
        Learn something new every day

Comment

So it is! I had no idea OV3 had video editing capabilities ...
          Regards
          Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
            So it is! I had no idea OV3 had video editing capabilities ...
            Not many seem to give much credit or thought to using OV3, but it does do a fair bit really, even if I can do more with Capture One for raw processing, I still use OV3 mostly & still capture from video is one of the things it does fine.
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
              Not many seem to give much credit or thought to using OV3, but it does do a fair bit really, even if I can do more with Capture One for raw processing, I still use OV3 mostly & still capture from video is one of the things it does fine.
              I have yet to try that. Now that you mention it, I did hear something like that when the OV3 was launch. Le me go try it out.

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
              Olympus Viewer3 will do it. Its as simple as pausing the video and clicking on extract still. Will that work with your E-330(?) videos?
              E-330 can do video??
              * Henry
              * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

This would work better if the framerate of the video is higher. A higher framerate is essential when doing moving video still extraction. If the video is slow moving or still- you're in luck.

Comment

If you can play your video on your computer, any decent player will be happy to extract single frames.
                  My personal preferences are Gom and VLC : very easy.
                  You don't need to use a video editor.

Comment

Working...
                  X