Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how good is 5 axis IBIS?

Hi there Everyone!

I have regularly tried to take a good image of the moon with my cameras, so a couple of days ago I thought I would have a try with the E-M1 for the first time. First port of call was my new 150mm Macro with EC-20 which auto-focussed well enough but the moon was still a little too far away, so I tried my OM fit 500mm Makinon Mirror lens, with my EC-14 on for good measure. This gives me the equivalent of 1400mm on a 35mm camera, so normally I use it on a tripod, but just for the hell of it I tried a hand held shot, just adjusting the IS figure to suit (I chose 800mm as it didn't have a 700 mm option).

Imagine my surprise when the IS started to stabilise the image for me, allowing me to keep the moon nicely centred in the EVF. It was so stable that I thought I would press the magnify button for 10x viewing. With the IS working brilliantly I was able to focus the lens easily and keep the same part of the moon in view at all times (I try to use the edge or a well defined crater.) I have always struggled with my E-30 on a tripod doing this as the slightest touch and the image blurs for several seconds until it settles down again. No such issues with the E-M1 - and the IS is quite capable of keeping the image in the EVF stable at the 35mm equivalent of 14000mm!

Below is one of the images I took, there is potentially an even better version taken without the EC-14 and the IS set to 500mm but it is still on the camera, taken as a grab shot as I left for work.

Are all these wonders of technology taking away some of the hard earned skills of previous generations of photographers (such as standing still), and even if they are, isn't it wonderful!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Re: Just how good is 5 axis IBIS?

I often use the E-M1 with my Canon 400mm and 1.4x handheld (EFL 1120mm)and find the IBIS works well. It has been discussed on here before but I have found that the IBIS works better if you don't try too hard to hold the camera rock steady, which is a natural tendency with ultra long lenses, but in fact is even important with shorter focal lengths - I can get better results with 150mm by holding the camera with one hand than with two.

David
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

'Standing Still' I have managed sharp images with exposure times of 1sec+... dont know if other makes of camera can manage that
      chris
      shetland

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
        I chose 800mm as it didn't have a 700 mm option ... an even better version taken without the EC-14 and the IS set to 500mm ...
        I wonder why you dialed in 700mm instead of 500mm in the first case!?
        The camera is supposed to know there is an EC-14 involved, right? Then it has to have the focal length of - whatever you attached. A 4/3s lens or converter will tell the body it's there right away AND for a legacy lens you dial in the actual focal length of that lens - done.
        I use the EC-14 in combination with legacy glass from 28mm to 300mm very often - on my E-30. Even though these are all fast lenses of F2.8 or better, the IS is used in very low light and most often does his job just fine.
        I am not afraid of Tits

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
          I often use the E-M1 with my Canon 400mm and 1.4x handheld (EFL 1120mm)and find the IBIS works well. It has been discussed on here before but I have found that the IBIS works better if you don't try too hard to hold the camera rock steady, which is a natural tendency with ultra long lenses, but in fact is even important with shorter focal lengths - I can get better results with 150mm by holding the camera with one hand than with two.

David
          That is very true & I even found that with the E30 too because as soon as I braced myself against anything (or elbows on a table) it ruined the effectiveness of the stabilisation. I think the 5 axis system is better there though.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Am quite surprised at this, as IBIS is normally much less effective at longer focal lengths....

Comment

You still need to stand still. The old skills are still relevent.
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by Falk View Post
                I wonder why you dialed in 700mm instead of 500mm in the first case!?
                The camera is supposed to know there is an EC-14 involved, right? Then it has to have the focal length of - whatever you attached. A 4/3s lens or converter will tell the body it's there right away AND for a legacy lens you dial in the actual focal length of that lens - done.
                I use the EC-14 in combination with legacy glass from 28mm to 300mm very often - on my E-30. Even though these are all fast lenses of F2.8 or better, the IS is used in very low light and most often does his job just fine.
                Hi there Falk!

I was in two mind about this, as although the camera knows that there is an EC-14 attached, it doesn't know what the lens attached is, so it can only make it's mind up for the IBIS settings from what it is told - I wasn't sure if it would take into account the 1.4 conversion factor or not. If I get chance tomorrow I may try it with the IBIS set to 500mm with the EC-14 attached and see if it makes any noticable difference.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                  You still need to stand still. The old skills are still relevent.
                  I agree OM USer However, with all this technology are we all going to get lazy and just expect the technology to do it all for us? As an aside, there is a picture somewhere in my gallery of some mushrooms taken hand held at 1/6s on an E-420 (which doesn't have IS), which is about as still as I get!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

While IBIS is very helpful when manual focusing with the longer lenses handheld, I don't find it essential when photographing birds using AF. My Canon outfit with 400mm plus 1.4x does not have IS and used at 1/640th handheld I have never experienced any blur due to shake. I would not use a slower speed, even for static birds, even if I had IS, as they have a tendency to make small very fast movements.

David
                    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                      The old skills are still relevent.
                      Very true, but IBIS will still help the unskilled. It might only get them to half the shutter speed a experienced shooter can manage unaided, but with out it they'd be having worse issues..
                      Mike
                      Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
                      Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X