A board dedicated to Micro Four Thirds discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A board dedicated to Micro Four Thirds discussion

Welcome to the new board relating to debates concerning the newly annouced Micro Four Thirds extension to the Four Thirds system.

Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

Re: A board dedicated to Micro Four Thirds discussion

Any idea who the Micro 4/3rds system is aimed at? That should give some indication of the likely price point. If it's DSLR priced I can't see many people taking it up, it's hard enough to market the E-System against much bigger bodied DSLR's due to the percieved limitations of a smaller sensor. Likewise how do you sell what appears to be essentially an expensive compact that has the added expense/advantage/disadvantage of interchangeable lenses.

Assume someone currently using a compact or bridge camera, they want to move to a camera with a bigger sensor, are they going to go for Micro 4/3rds or APS-C/DX. I would suggest that it's quite likely that they'll stick with their current brand and as sure as night follows day that's what the magazines will advise especially as an APS-C/DX DSLR still has a bigger sensor than a Micro 4/3rds model.

It could be aimed at the person who chooses a Canon G9/Sigma DP-1 but it's sure to be more expensive simply due to the ability to swap lenses. Most people buy High End compacts as a back-up to an existing DSLR system, are they going to pay a premium for the increased flexability that a Micro 4/3rds camera offers (interchangeable lenses) when they don't intend it to be their main camera?

If Olympus aim for the wrong sector it'll fail, aim it at the right sector and it has a chance but success is in no way guaranteed.
    In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.

Comment

Originally posted by R MacE View Post

It could be aimed at the person who chooses a Canon G9/Sigma DP-1 but it's sure to be more expensive simply due to the ability to swap lenses. Most people buy High End compacts as a back-up to an existing DSLR system, are they going to pay a premium for the increased flexability that a Micro 4/3rds camera offers (interchangeable lenses) when they don't intend it to be their main camera?
      I think that has to be the price point they aim at. I'm not sure those purchasers really want interchangeable lenses however, so much as 10x range zoom.

It has just occurred to me that compared to most "bridge" cameras, Oly will be able to market on significantly lower image noise at high ISO than comparable cameras - won't that be a turn-up?
      Hugh of Bardfield
      Essex, UK
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughofbardfield/
      http://hughweller-lewisphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

The magazines are going to have great fun reviewing these when they arrive, will they compare them with low end DSLRs or high end Bridge cameras.

I suppose it depends on how Olympus market/price the cameras. But I can see a lot of editors having difficulty grasping this new idea. After all they already have difficulty understanding that the Olympus DSLR range is different, this will really cause them to struggle.

Nick
        Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
        www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

I would like to think that part of the MFT market is targeted at users who use and appreciate Contax G1/G2or Leica 'rangefinder' film cameras. If the boby is rugged enough and the lenses of sufficiently high quality, it may just create a hold in a niche market.

Cheers, Steve.
          visit my website www.photoark.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lane View Post
            I would like to think that part of the MFT market is targeted at users who use and appreciate Contax G1/G2or Leica 'rangefinder' film cameras. If the boby is rugged enough and the lenses of sufficiently high quality, it may just create a hold in a niche market.

Cheers, Steve.
            If the Micro Four Thirds bodies are made of magnesium alloy similar to the C8080WZ, the E-1 and the E-3 then the Micro Four thirds System may well be a very exciting development.

Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Shotter View Post
              If the Micro Four Thirds bodies are made of magnesium alloy similar to the C8080WZ, the E-1 and the E-3 then the Micro Four thirds System may well be a very exciting development.

Ray.
              Yes, if you imagine this as an interchangable lens version of the C8080WZ, then you have a very tempting camera.

Quality optics, small size (OK, its an EVF) but most of all, quiet operation

Pete
              Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

I have only very recently joined the 4/3's system. The whole size / weight thing, and the prospect of more lenses like the superb 25mm pancake were deciding factors, as was the cost of a potential system.

mFT is, initially, very interesting. I have been interested in rangefinder photography for some time, but never been able to afford / justify a purchase. The reason I like rangefinder photography is because of the quality. When you remove the mirror box you are also removing an obstacle to optical quality and further reducing the size of the lens. By producing a dedicated digital camera without a mirror box Olympus are, in effect, placing themselves in the same advantageous position as rangefinder manufacturers. While electronic viewfinders will need to make a considerable jump in quality before they are useable, the whole concept is exciting.

I think mFT can be positioned in the market place in two ways. They can create a new sector that makes the bridge camera redundant, and takes over in the £100 to £300 price range. I am not convinced this would work personally. The other approach is to look on it as a 21st century rangefinder. Yes, the SLR turned rangefinder niche, but is it now fighting back and going to make the dSLR niche? Think of a Leica M8, only for much less money. (Nothing from Leica this time around?) Time will tell which way it will go, and how successful it will be.

My concerns are that the 4/3's format is not sufficiently established to support a branch. How will the market react? Unless handled very well, it could spread fear uncertainty and doubt among consumers and manufacturers. Will this kill 4/3's dead?

I hope the news is positive and strengthens rather than weakens the 4/3's system. I'm looking forward to Photokina...

Comment

I will be attending the Photo East show here at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City at the end of October to see what is percolating at Olympus. I am hoping that the MFT format is availbale to view when I am there and to see what is new for the standard FT format.

As I have noted in the E520 forum, Sony has just announced a full frame DSLR at 24.6 memgapixels with in the body IS. So the markt is like a freight train running wild. With so much being released at once, D90 and the new Canon, it is getting very difficult to navigate the waters to make good decisions.

I think 2009 may be a very exciting, confusing, and a shake-out year. There's more availability than buyers in my mind and money is tight. Oh the Sony A900 is a mere $3000 US.

Cheers and I will report back after the show in October!

Dennis G

Comment

dont know if anyone caught this review of the Panasonic G1 http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...sonic-g1.shtml
                    So any news of the Oly offering?
                    chris
                    shetland

Comment

Originally posted by crimbo View Post
                      dont know if anyone caught this review of the Panasonic G1 http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...sonic-g1.shtml
                      So any news of the Oly offering?
                      Thanks for pointing us to the review. I found it very informative and it appears that the G1 is setting a high standard. I hope the first Olympus mFT will be an even higher quality.

The opinions expressed about the EVF were very encouraging.

Ray.

Comment

Hi all,
                        Are we seeing the demise of the 4/3 mount with all the work from current and rumored manufacturers going into m4/3?
                        Is it also possible that we may see M4/3 and full frame cameras being the norm with all the 'middle sized' sensors being phased out?
                        Personally, I think so. There is a report on the internet someplace (I'm still trying to find it again!) that strongly suggests that m4/3 will take over from 4/3 and that 4/3 will die out.

Thoughts anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by nzoliver View Post
                          Hi all,
                          Are we seeing the demise of the 4/3 mount with all the work from current and rumored manufacturers going into m4/3?
                          Is it also possible that we may see M4/3 and full frame cameras being the norm with all the 'middle sized' sensors being phased out?
                          Personally, I think so. There is a report on the internet someplace (I'm still trying to find it again!) that strongly suggests that m4/3 will take over from 4/3 and that 4/3 will die out.

Thoughts anyone?
                          MFT and FT are complementary. They are aimed at primarily different customers. However, many FT users have been attracted to MFT because their lenses can be used on MFT bodies via adapters and because MFT is a convenient, compact and light, alternative to a traditions FT DSLR. However, you simply can't use MFT cameras in place of DSLRs for a good deal of applications, like sports and nature photography, for example.

Although Olympus has announced two MFT cameras this year, and started selling one (E-P1), let's not forget that the FT models E-30, E-620, E-450, and E600 have all arrived in within the last year.

Ian
                          Founder and editor of:
                          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X