Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Which Camera to dip toe in water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Camera to dip toe in water

Thanks for the informative response.

Another question, I know they are different, but which is the better lens in terms of quality and value between the Panasonic kit 14-42mm and the Panasonic 14mm Asph Prime lens ?

I ask as I am contemplating one of the GF3 kits but if I get on with it, selling the GF3 body and keeping the lens to use on an OMD M5

Comment

At some point you will want to go for the higher quality lenses and move to primes, I suspect. The 14mm Panny is a good lens with a reasonable maximum aperture. Might I suggest you partner it with the Oly 45mm?

As an aside, about 5 years ago I moved from Canon FF to Olympus, and have never looked back. With the E-M5 things are very rosy!
      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

David
        --------------------------
        -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

You are not far wrong David.

One of the otehr reasons of dipping the toe in with a cheaper body is to see what happens on the OMD front i.e. price drop and/or new model in the winter.

My intention is to either get a used E-PL2 with Olympus lenses or a new GF3 with Panny lenses which I can then use on an OMD body.

There are two GF3 kits, one with a 14-42mm and one with a 14mm prime hence my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy View Post
            You are not far wrong David.

One of the otehr reasons of dipping the toe in with a cheaper body is to see what happens on the OMD front i.e. price drop and/or new model in the winter.

My intention is to either get a used E-PL2 with Olympus lenses or a new GF3 with Panny lenses which I can then use on an OMD body.

There are two GF3 kits, one with a 14-42mm and one with a 14mm prime hence my question.
            Having the XZ-1 with its great low f stop lens and the PL2 with not so great low light ability m14-150 lens, and always having been a zoom lens fan, I think it would be great to have the choice with the OM-D of zooms+high ISO or primes+cropping. The PL2 doesn't have either the high ISO capability or sensor size to do as well. Still way too pricey for me though!
            Having said that, I could sell all my other 43 and m43 kit and afford one but the OM-D teething troubles would still make me wait for a successor.

David
            -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

I am a very recent convert to Olympus having bought a OM-D E-M5 and so far I am very pleased with it. I previously had a Pentax K-5 which is about the smallest fully featured APS-C DSLR and has very good high ISO capabilities as well as good ergonomics. I had looked at the MFT systems previously but was put off by the sensor limitations and limited high ISO.

The OMD E-M5 is a "proper" camera with two control wheels as well as buttons and handling is not too different from a DSLR but without the weight and bulk. The advances in sensor technology have put it on a more equal footing with the APS-C DSLRS and the high ISO capabilities are at least as good. The built-in EVF is pretty good too. If you get a chance to handle an OMD that might be the clincher.

I must admit that in my case an additional attraction is the ability to use Leica (and other brands) lenses as I am a long time Leica user since film days.

If you can be patient and wait a bit the price of the OMD may fall but I get the impression that at present Olympus is selling then as fast as they can make them so it may be a few months before there is a significant drop.

Best of luck with your decision.

Archie
              Archie

Comment

Working...
              X