Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

ep 1 or ep2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ep 1 or ep2

Hi

Thinking about getting an ep1 or and ep2 to supplement my e520 and replace my broken point and shoot.

Can anyone recommend one of these cameras other the other?

Thanks

Chris
    Chris

Re: ep 1 or ep2

They are the same actually.

The main difference is that E-P2 features the "Accessory Port" which allows you to use the EVF and other accessories.

I would get the E-P1 if I were you. Same quality, same features (except the Accessory Port) and much cheaper.
    After breaking through the technology barrier,
    you run into the barrier of accepted wisdom.
    -Yoshihisa Maitani

Comment

E-P1 every time

Comment

E-P2, 'cos to me the camera is virtually unusable without the EVF.
        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

I completly agree with Stephen, without the viewfinder its just a point and shoot job.

Comment

Interesting replies so far, if I can throw a spanner in the works what if you choice was between a pen modle or the E1?
            Chris

Comment

Epl-1 for me

Comment

Well, I'm in there with StephenL and Yorky. I just don't like using the rear screen.

Andrew

Comment

I definitely think that the EP-1 is still the best built camera on the amateur market. I do agree that in certain situations the lack of a viewfinder can be a pain - that's why I recently bought a s/hand E500 which now sits in my bag paired with an Oly 70-300mm.

So two cameras - for different jobs. A bit like having a saloon car and a 4X4 to cover different situations. To call an E-P1 a point and shoot is to misunderstand the camera completely IMHO.

Maybe its a marmite thing - love it or loathe it - personally I like having the capacities of both the E-P1 and the E500.

I know one thing though - at least in the next decade get comfortable with whatever camera/s you have. The days of upgrading every 2 months are over.

Comment

Originally posted by E-P1 fan View Post
                    I definitely think that the EP-1 is still the best built camera on the amateur market. I do agree that in certain situations the lack of a viewfinder can be a pain - that's why I recently bought a s/hand E500 which now sits in my bag paired with an Oly 70-300mm.

So two cameras - for different jobs. A bit like having a saloon car and a 4X4 to cover different situations. To call an E-P1 a point and shoot is to misunderstand the camera completely IMHO.

Maybe its a marmite thing - love it or loathe it - personally I like having the capacities of both the E-P1 and the E500.

I know one thing though - at least in the next decade get comfortable with whatever camera/s you have. The days of upgrading every 2 months are over.
                    Yes, that will probably be very true. It hasn't really started yet.

Comment

Originally posted by E-P1 fan View Post

How true not that im Mr money bags anyway lol

second hand for me and maybe sell to buy.
                      Chris

Comment

With the price of both the E-P1 and E-P2 getting more comparable on the second hand market, probably the EP-2 is what I'd go for if I was in your position, but I would want it with the VF-2.

Having always bought/swapped/part exchanged for my photo gear I kind of came to Olympus in the oposite direction to yourself. I ended up with, in order of purchase/exchange, an E-P1 which drew me in the Olympus direction in 2010 after 30 years with Nikon, then an E-620, and finally a couple of weeks back, an E-1, which to me is the real icing on the cake, and is my current camera of choice. To your question about a PEN or an E-1, I really couldn't choose, so maybe you should aim for both...

I'm also quite happy with using the E-P1's LCD screen and/or the VF-1.

Comment

I have the EP1 and though its a great camera I have trouble seeing the screen in sunlight , where 99% of my photography happens , I bought a EP3 and find it a much more usable camera with the VF2. So I would vote EP2 with a VF2
                          Cheers
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie View Post
                            I have the EP1 and though its a great camera I have trouble seeing the screen in sunlight , where 99% of my photography happens , I bought a EP3 and find it a much more usable camera with the VF2. So I would vote EP2 with a VF2
                            Cheers
                            John
                            Yeah, the day I bought the VF-2, my E-PL1 became a serious camera. It really does alter the experience of using the camera and this can have a huge impact on the end result. So yes, I'd recommend the E-PL2.

Comment

Working...
                            X