Lens selection considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens selection considerations

Ed (Wee Man) is after lens considerations for his G3 so maybe we can all put our 2p worth in.

It really depends what it is you are after Ed. I have m4/3 lenses only the Oly 9-18 and 14-150 and Lumix 14, 20 and 100-300. All good lenses and recommended.
    The 9-18 is a fine compact ultra wide zoom with very good IQ and about 1/2 the price of the Lumix 7-14 which some say is a better lens but I've never tried it.

The 14-150 is very compact for the focal range it covers and is better than you would expect for a lens that has such a large focal range.

Both Oly lenses are very well made and feel like a quality lens.

The Lumix 100-300 is a very good lens, has OIS and is about 200pounds cheaper than the 70-300 Oly lens (that doesn't have OIS) so from a value for money POV is the winner. It has excellent IQ, I'm really impressed but it feels a bit plasticy and lacks the quality feel of the Oly lenses even though it is well made.

I'm still waiting delivery of the Lumix 14mm pancake but I have the 20mm version and it's a cracker lens, really good value for money, compact, light and very good IQ plus f1.7 so great for shallow DOF and low light work. I carry it on the E-PL3 all the time and that combo fits in a jacket pocket comfortably. I've bought the 14mm to add to that experience.

If your feeling flush and like primes then the Oly 12mm f2.0 for a mere 600 quid is apparently very good also the Oly 45mm f1.8 for a more respectable 250ish quid. Then there's the lusty Lumix 25mm f1.4 for just under 500 quid, all very nice lenses supposedly.

So pay your money and take your pick.

Re: Lens selection considerations

The Lumix 100-300 is a very good lens, has OIS and is about 200pounds cheaper than the 70-300 Oly lens (that doesn't have OIS) so from a value for money POV is the winner.
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Comment

Sorry, I am not m4/3rds savvy, happily stuck in DSLR groove!

David
        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

It's a 75-300 to be exact.
          Some of my pictures can be viewed here.

Comment

I didn't see Ed's original post regarding lens suggestions, but one of the "problems" is that there is now such a wide choice of lenses for m4/3. Certainly the popular focal lengths between say 14mm and 200mm are well catered for by both native m4/3 lenses and by legacy lenses with adaptors. And it depends if you want prime (single focal length) or zoom lenses.

My typical setups are, in the GH2 bag, the Panasonic 7-14mm, the Panasonic 14-45mm, and the Panasonic 45-200mm. And in the G3 bag is generally the Panasonic 14mm, the Panasonic 20mm, and (soon, hopefully), the Olympus 45mm. But I also have other lenses, such as the excellent Olympus 14-150mm for when I just want to take along 1 lens and the light is going to be good, and a variety of legacy glass with adaptors, such as Olympus OM 28mm and 50mm, Pentax 50mm, Tamron 90mm macro, and (soon) a Voigtlander 75mm.

That's the trouble - I'm spoiled for choice!
            Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Thanks all so far; Stephen this post started from a message I sent to Paul and he kindly widened it out to try to get me suggestions for lens from those in the 'know'. Simple things like is the panasonic 14- 54 a better lens than the 14-42? Are the IS lenses the ones to go for etc those that have gone before can help us to choose based on actual use.
              Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

In my view the standard Panasonic 14-42mm lens makes a fair stab at image quality. However, where it falls down, at least on the two examples I have, is in the engineering. The 14-42 zoom action feels like two plastic components turning against each other, that is, not smooth but sticky and uneven. The 14-45, however, feels like it has some bearings in it. Nice and smooth and damped. Also, the image quality is better in the more testing conditions, such as wide open. So if you can get one at a good price (some places are charging unrealistic prices) then my advice is to get one.

IS is not the be all and end all, but it is certainly useful on long focal lengths and/or in low light. But used with a bit of care and common sense, the Olympus 14-150 is at least as good and certainly much cheaper than its Panasonic brother.
                Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Working...
                X